International users and Apple's US centredness

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Not a rant, I just wanted to tell you all that there is a petition going on for everybody to sign. The goal is to change Apple's US centredness, and give us, overpaying, underserviced mac-lovers all of the goodies we have a right to. [sic!]

I signed it, and so can all of you:

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_pe...d.cgi?AppleInt

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    cybermonkeycybermonkey Posts: 604member
    Nice find, i've been praying for this sort of thing for a while now

living in the UK i'm well annoyed with the likes of sherlock and itunes 4 musics store being USA only.

This kinds of reminds me of the film uboat 5.. whatever it was called. i saw an interview with one of the actors on this film who was getting loads of grief because the film incorrectly portrays the US capturing and cracking the enigma machine when in fact it was us brits. And all he had to say was " If you dont like it dont watch it". i love apple but they do seem to have this very same attitude towards the rest of the world.

[MOD EDIT] Fixed your post - you had your reply inside QUOTE tags... removed them.

-murbot
  • Reply 2 of 61
    I've signed it. I'm not too upset about the Music Store and whatnot: what annoys me is the 'Dialing' when I connect. I want it to say 'Dialling'. This is probably quite petty in the grand scheme of things, but I'd like an option for British spellings again.
  • Reply 3 of 61
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    To be honest, I'm not too pissed off about this either, cuz, knowing myself, I wouldn't use this anyway, but I think I should at least be offered the choice to use it. And, of course, as it comes to Sherlock, I do feel that things should be adjusted. I remember Steve'o demoing Sherlock in his Paris keynote, saying that international functionality would follow soon. Sadly enough, going on one year now, nothing has turned up.
  • Reply 4 of 61
    drumbug1drumbug1 Posts: 155member
    Hmmm...

I forgot.... what country is Apple from again?

.....gee.... maybe that's why they focus on the US...
  • Reply 5 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by drumbug1

Hmmm...

I forgot.... what country is Apple from again?

.....gee.... maybe that's why they focus on the US...

... nice post, dufus.
  • Reply 6 of 61
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    No no no no no!

Apple has to renegotiate terms for Global Distribution. Trust me Apple wants your money but I'm assuming the Big 5 wanted to take a look at the service running in the US in a small(Mac) market before greenlighting Global access.

There are already reports on Maccentral about Apple Europe trying to get online next. I can't wait to see what happens when all of North America and most of Europe and other regions have access along with Windows users. The numbers should be mindboggling once everything is clicking
  • Reply 7 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

... nice post, dufus.

Wow... someone has no sense of humor.

so let's revert to grade-school insults.

• Reply 8 of 61
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    All Americans Deserve to Die.

If you don't find this funny, you obviously have no sense of humor.
  • Reply 9 of 61
    vikingviking Posts: 127member
    Sheesh, are we going through his again? Okay, I'm going to make a petition that Audi sell its A2 car in the U.S.. They sell more cars in the U.S. than in Germany so it makes sense right?

Its a neverending story.
  • Reply 10 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

All Americans Deserve to Die.

If you don't find this funny, you obviously have no sense of humor.

....or you are an American.
  • Reply 11 of 61
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Hehe... that got you offended.

Well, international users don't like being treated as 2nd class citizens, any more than Mac users like it relative to PC users.

Barto
  • Reply 12 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by viking

Sheesh, are we going through his again? Okay, I'm going to make a petition that Audi sell its A2 car in the U.S.. They sell more cars in the U.S. than in Germany so it makes sense right?

Its a neverending story.

Where can I sign?

[OTOH: I think the A2 is deemed just too small for American tastebuds, shaped and blunted by SUVS as they are. --> that's a joke, playing out a national stereotype, no harm intended.]
  • Reply 13 of 61
    vikingviking Posts: 127member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

Where can I sign?

[OTOH: I think the A2 is deemed just too small for American tastebuds, shaped and blunted by SUVS as they are. --> that's a joke, playing out a national stereotype, no harm intended.]

No Harm taken. I live in Europe so I'm just trying to show the other side of the coin. Maybe the A2 wasn't a good example becuase I totally agree with you on that point. I was just tring to show that not everything you can buy on one side of the Atlantic, you can buy on the other. Hmm... now I'm having trouble coming up with an example - Too much beer last night I guess. Cheers from Iceland.
  • Reply 14 of 61
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    one personal anecdote to share, from my brief work and stint with Apple Canada while living in Toronto. If you recall, Apple Canada was one of the absolute LAST countries to get the Apple on-line store, and everyone north of the border was calling for Apple's head. Well, the TRUTH was that Canadian laws prohibit online sales from a company that was not 51% Canadian owned and operated. I forget some of the details, like does this policy change if the company is located outside Canada, etc., but it's a faiur approximation of the annoying nature of even the simplest international trade laws. They eventually got it worked out (I think Apple US had to take over ALL of the Apple Canada Store business transactions, base them in California, and then simply sell to Canada... ugh).

But you would be surprised at how difficult it can be to conduct any business outside one's own borders.
  • Reply 15 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

Hehe... that got you offended.

Well, international users don't like being treated as 2nd class citizens, any more than Mac users like it relative to PC users.

Barto

Let's just say that I don't think people deserve to die because of where they were born. I realize you were joking, but I just don't think that is something you should joke about. People everywhere are people. No county's citizens deserve to die anymore than another. You can joke about SUV's or McDonalds or whatever, but don't start saying that people "deserve to die".
  • Reply 16 of 61
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    I sign the petition too. If .mac do not offer similiar services to non-US countires, I am not going to renew my subscription.
  • Reply 17 of 61
    Okay you'll find your petition lacking one important signature....mine.

Sorry, but petitions do about as much good as 'marches'. Why not march on 1 infinate loop?
  • Reply 18 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by drumbug1

Let's just say that I don't think people deserve to die because of where they were born. I realize you were joking, but I just don't think that is something you should joke about. People everywhere are people. No county's citizens deserve to die anymore than another. You can joke about SUV's or McDonalds or whatever, but don't start saying that people "deserve to die".

I think you deserved that remark. You said something equally stupid.
  • Reply 19 of 61
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    Drumbug and other Americans, loosen the f**k up! This is just a message board, for cryin' out loud.

And if anyone asks, I'm not an American...I'm a Texan.
  • Reply 20 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gizzmonic

I'm not an American...I'm a Texan.

That being many factors worse than just 'American'.