Have you ever moved to another city on a whim?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I realize this may be easier if you're unattached or younger.

Many think about making a new start somewhere else. Be it a new city, country or even continent.

It may be a mid-life crisis or because you're just fed up with what's going on in your life.

But has anyone here actually gone through it and simply left your town with very little notice or planning? How was the experience and what things did you regret if any?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    jutusjutus Posts: 272member
    I moved from Montreal to Winnipeg in a very short time. My fiancee was accepted for school here, so we boxed up two apartments, subletted them, said goodbye to all our friends and uhauled it to a city where we had no place to stay and didn't know anyone. From the time we found she was accepted to the day we left Montreal was 5 days.

I moved again within a month to Florida for work. I have no real advice for you except to be organized with your move. When the stress kicks in you won't have time to think, but you'll be amazed at how much you can get done and how focused you can be.

Moving is a nice gear shift most of the time.

Good luck with your move (?)
  • Reply 2 of 20
    enaena Posts: 667member
    Moved from DFW to Seattle in 1992---just to do it---aimed for Portland and ended up in King county---great time---rented a room in west Seattle. There was a drought that year---lots of sun. Between Alki, microbrews and fly fishing, it beat the hell out of being a Texas stonehead.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Left Oz,

to live in Italy where I had a scholarship....Taught in Milan, lived in Venice. Then travelled to Switzerland.

Moved on to teach in Ireland & then lived in London for a couple of years.....

Then came back to Oz.....Adelaide.....great city...look it up if your inclined....very laid back..great beaches, great wine country, with mountains in behind.....:
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Sure, I called this period of time "college".
  • Reply 5 of 20
    jesperasjesperas Posts: 524member
    Moved from Hawaii to Boston, Mass for graduate school. Deciding to attend grad school was pretty much a whim. Ended up staying longer than I thought I would.

Career-wise, I have more opportunities here than I would have had in Hawaii...but the winters suck, as does having to cross a continent and an ocean to visit my parents.

The actual move to Boston was a complete cluster f*ck on my part, and I seriously underestimated the time I would need to find an apartment in Boston.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Be it a new city, country or even continent.

Yes. Done. City, country and continent. South America various, Europe various, US .. Salinas, Bañeres, Fortaleza, here, UK something, before here, Italy in 2 continents, Hellsinki, various various Europe etc i-don't-even-remember..
  • Reply 7 of 20
    met a girl on the net, talked to her for about a month then gave up everything in the uk to live and get married in south carolina.

18 months later gave all that up as a bad habbit(marriage that is)and moved back to the UK.

Might try Australia next.

Know any good chat rooms!
  • Reply 8 of 20
    paulppaulp Posts: 67member
    Yeah, just make sure you do it for the right reasons.

As the old adage goes; wherever you go...there you are.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    muahmuah Posts: 165member
    The wife and I quit our jobs in KC MO and moved to Phoenix last August. Best decision we ever made. There are a few people that said we were fools, but most were impressed with us. I had a friend from KC tell me again the other day "I still say you have huge gonads" and it is 10 months ago that we moved.

Everyone under 30 said "we want to do that in a couple years" but I put $1,000.00 against any of them doing it. Everyone above 30 said "I wish I would have done that at your age" and I know that they all would if they had the chance to do it again.

We didn't have kids or anything and being 25 and 24 at the time, we felt we had plenty of time if it was a mistake. But then again, we both had the attitude that we couldn't fail, and we haven't.

If you are like we were, we had a short list of "places we would rather be" and thought about moving in a couple years. I am GLAD we didn't wait.

Where are you thinking about going anyways??? And what is stopping you???
  • Reply 10 of 20
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Might try Australia next.

You serial Monkey you ! ()

Thanx for the warning, Coast guard, marines & Royal Australian Navy & Air Force have been adviced re : your intentions.......

But don't try the marraige thing on Ozzy girls, if you do them wrong, they come after you with a 303......whoo whoo something fierce.....

Nut busters Inc.....
  • Reply 11 of 20
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by muah

The wife and I quit our jobs in KC MO and moved to Phoenix last August. Best decision we ever made. There are a few people that said we were fools, but most were impressed with us. I had a friend from KC tell me again the other day "I still say you have huge gonads" and it is 10 months ago that we moved.

Everyone under 30 said "we want to do that in a couple years" but I put $1,000.00 against any of them doing it. Everyone above 30 said "I wish I would have done that at your age" and I know that they all would if they had the chance to do it again.

We didn't have kids or anything and being 25 and 24 at the time, we felt we had plenty of time if it was a mistake. But then again, we both had the attitude that we couldn't fail, and we haven't.

If you are like we were, we had a short list of "places we would rather be" and thought about moving in a couple years. I am GLAD we didn't wait.

Where are you thinking about going anyways??? And what is stopping you???

Hello from KC :0)
  • Reply 12 of 20
    fangornfangorn Posts: 323member
    Hmmm. No. I'm just not that exciting.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    I moved to where I now live on a whim, 13 years ago...

but now I'm about to move 150 miles to the other side of the state.... at least they have beaches & sunshine there, also! 8)
  • Reply 14 of 20
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    I'm surprised no one left to go to LA hehehe

there's always people moving here, expecting to become the next tom cruise. :X
  • Reply 15 of 20
    cybermonkeycybermonkey Posts: 604member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

I can just picture her:

Southern Belle: If you leave me, cybermonkey, where will I go? What will I do?

cybermonkey: Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Actually, she was no southern belle. More of a southern comfort(the drink). She wouldnt quit so i quit her.

"Thanx for the warning, Coast guard, marines & Royal Australian Navy & Air Force have been adviced re : your intentions.......

But don't try the marraige thing on Ozzy girls, if you do them wrong, they come after you with a 303......whoo whoo something fierce.....

Nut busters Inc...."

i can quite imagine, going from the soap neighbours

their no pushovers but as i love Aussies, cos yer more like us brits, i wouldn't up and run unless i get the mysterious back packer murderer. though after seeing good old steve irwin im pretty sure the spiders, snakes or crocs would get to me before the Aussie forces have a chance
  • Reply 16 of 20
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    I moved from NJ to NY to PA within 2 years. Planning on moving again in the near future, hopefully to MA. The only part that sucks is losing the security deposit on your apartment
  • Reply 17 of 20
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    7 years ago I did it. And I've never regretted it.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    doxxdoxx Posts: 41member
    32 yrs old (young) now and I moved several times and didn't regret it... first I left Germany with a suitcase and a bag to Las Vegas, met a girl online, moved to Chicago, got married.

Best decision of my life!!!

The company I've been working for in Chicago has also a New York office. So we moved to NY in a heartbeat...