Disc burning

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Does anyone else find it dumb that when you burn something in the Finder it "copies" it? This means I have to have gigs free to burn a DVD. I have to use Finder since Toast keeps giving me DVD burning "hardware errors 0x03" etc. But why cant' OS X just remember where stuff is and throw it together at burn time?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Isn't this how all disc burning is done, even Roxio stuff? I thought it helped preserve the integrity of the data and the burn.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    It is 'caching' essentially. This cuts down on seek time for the hard drive so it doesn't have to go pick up the pieces all over your disk at burning time. Such delays would give you even MORE errors. It's really no biggie. If you go the bucks to be casually burning DVDs you have the bucks to spring for a second hard drive (80 gig or so) which you can use as a working storage disk. (that way you don't have to worry about such things.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Toast caching is a helluva lot speedier than Finder's copying process though.

iTunes doesn't do the copying-dealie either, rather converts files on-the-fly.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Toast burns on the fly.

And wow Apple's Piece of Shit burning in OS X made a DVD that won't play in DVD Player unless I use Open VIDEO_TS folder and it won't work in my set top... I just copied the VIDEO_TS folder from what DVD2One spit out after DVDBackup. It always worked with Toast, even after Toast said hardware error. However I used all caps in the name but I thought that was the convention anyway. I just hope Roxio updates Toast for 12" SuperDrives since I bet there's an incompatability. The media is pristine so I don't see why Toast says hardware error. Again, thanks for the frisbee Apple...

It would be cool if FireStarter FX added DVD support!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Quote:

Isn't this how all disc burning is done, even Roxio stuff? I thought it helped preserve the integrity of the data and the burn.

No.

Quote:

t is 'caching' essentially. This cuts down on seek time for the hard drive so it doesn't have to go pick up the pieces all over your disk at burning time. Such delays would give you even MORE errors. It's really no biggie. If you go the bucks to be casually burning DVDs you have the bucks to spring for a second hard drive (80 gig or so) which you can use as a working storage disk. (that way you don't have to worry about such things.

Nonsense. Caching (loading into ram) has nothing to do with copying the files to a 'disc image'. Why not cache the files off the harddrive (from their original places) instead? The point of cache is to load enough data into memory that there's no chance of having a bad disc burn.

I agree that Apple's disc burning software is backwards, which is why I've always used Toast. Also, I should mention that I don't find burning CDs in the Finder 'intuitive', unlike launching an app that burns CDs to burn cds.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    thunderpoitthunderpoit Posts: 709member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Toast burns on the fly.

And wow Apple's Piece of Shit burning in OS X made a DVD that won't play in DVD Player unless I use Open VIDEO_TS folder and it won't work in my set top... I just copied the VIDEO_TS folder from what DVD2One spit out after DVDBackup. It always worked with Toast, even after Toast said hardware error. However I used all caps in the name but I thought that was the convention anyway. I just hope Roxio updates Toast for 12" SuperDrives since I bet there's an incompatability. The media is pristine so I don't see why Toast says hardware error. Again, thanks for the frisbee Apple...

It would be cool if FireStarter FX added DVD support!

it probably dosent work because you most likely burnt it as an hfs+ volume w/ a video ts folder on it instead of a dvd video volume w/ a video ts folder on it.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    D'oh! That sounds likely. How do I tell the Finder to use UDF then? Until then I'll stick with Toast 5.1.2. It keeps on ticking without any problems. (It burned Golden Eye fine.)