Google is your friend

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Sure. But where did it come from (the phrase not Google itself)?

BTW: I have noticed soemthing in the last year. Google have become the large evil internet search machine in some peoples eyes. For me its still the little saviour that challenged big bad yahoo, altavista etc. and won on far superiour service

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    dunno. i've been saying "google is your best friend" for a couple of years.

i don't like dogs.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

i don't like dogs.

But I love you sooo much

By the way: Who are you
  • Reply 3 of 32
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    BTW, has anyone else noticed that the formatting is buggered all over this forum? Center justify? Is it an IE for windows bug? I lent my PB to my GF and am using my brother's PC, so iDunno what it looks like on the mac.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

BTW, has anyone else noticed that the formatting is buggered all over this forum? Center justify? Is it an IE for windows bug? I lent my PB to my GF and am using my brother's PC, so iDunno what it looks like on the mac.

Brad's been cleaning up the forum's HTML to be more standards compliant, and there's no more reliable way to get IE for Windows to freak out.

I've seen that behavior before on other sites. That's why I use Mozilla on Windows.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

...Brad's been cleaning up the forum's HTML to be more standards compliant, and there's no more reliable way to get IE for Windows to freak out....

haha

...its funny because its tru
  • Reply 6 of 32
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i started saying it ages ago when i noticed 90% of Genius Bar questions could be answered within the first 5 Google hits using keywords from the thread title.

i like helping people, but it makes it a lot easier when they've at least put in a minimum effort.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders the White

I have noticed soemthing in the last year. Google have become the large evil internet search machine in some peoples eyes.

I'm still waiting a bit for this to happen. I do see it coming clearly though. There is no way that one source can keep providing all information and not get frowned upon a rebellious intellectual elite, which then has its opinions trickled down to the masses in various fases. I think Google does not have too much of a margin, there'll be only so much they can do before they lose a LOT of traffic.

On who Giaguara is... that shouldn't be too hard to figure out, no?
  • Reply 8 of 32
    I beg to differ. I actually dislike Google. The results are almost always wrong and they don't have 'Portal' serviecs (like yahoo).

When I goto yahoo I get new stories, stocks, handy links etc one click away. Google is *just* a search engine. I'm not saying I *love* yahoo (I actually hate their butt too) but 99 out of 100 searches WORK the first time and bring up what I want.

Google is too... well... too 'cultie'. It got 'big' because of it's "purity" which was destroyed by this growth. Now it seems like nonsense to me. (just my .02)
  • Reply 9 of 32
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    the phrase "Google is your friend" is a lot more polite than "RTFM"

but the message is certainly similar... make a token effort, slacker.

i recall reading some metrics recently that rated Google the "Best" Search Engine

and by a fairly wide margin among experienced computer users

ymmv
  • Reply 10 of 32
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

i started saying it ages ago when i noticed 90% of Genius Bar questions could be answered within the first 5 Google hits using keywords from the thread title.

i like helping people, but it makes it a lot easier when they've at least put in a minimum effort.

Just a suggestion, you should append your signature to be a hyperlink to google since you seem to advocate it's use.

not saying I don't like google, in fact I use it exclusively.

however my beef is that google has become a verb.

"Just google it" "do a google for it" "google it" x10
  • Reply 11 of 32
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Google is *just* a search engine.

I think that's its key to success. Similiar to how Apple only uses ONE button mice

I personally really like the fact that it is *just* a search engine, because the google homepage loads in no time on any connection(even 24.4 dial up) and it is a powerful enough engine that results are generally quick(even on a 24.4 dial up)
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

I beg to differ. I actually dislike Google. The results are almost always wrong and they don't have 'Portal' serviecs (like yahoo).

When I goto yahoo I get new stories, stocks, handy links etc one click away. Google is *just* a search engine. I'm not saying I *love* yahoo (I actually hate their butt too) but 99 out of 100 searches WORK the first time and bring up what I want.

just a search engine, eh?

Froogle - froogle.google.com

Find products for sale from across the Web.

Google Answers - answers.google.com

An open forum where Researchers answer your questions for a fee.

Google Catalogs - catalogs.google.com

Search and browse mail-order catalogs online.

Google Groups - groups.google.com

Post and read comments in Usenet discussion forums.

Google Image Search - images.google.com

The most comprehensive image search on the web with 425 million images.

Google Labs - labs.google.com

Prototypes and projects in development by Google engineers, including: Google Viewer - Google WebQuotes - Google Glossary - Google Sets - Voice Search - Keyboard Shortcuts.

Google News - news.google.com

Search and browse 4,500 continuously updated news sources.

Google Special Searches - www.google.com/options/specialsearches.html

Narrow your search to a specific topic, such as BSD, Apple, and Microsoft.

Google University Search - www.google.com/options/universities.html

Narrow your search to a specific school website.

Google Web Directory - directory.google.com

The web organized by topic into categories.

I take it you've never clicked any of the links around the front page.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    And as for the "results are always wrong" comment, perhaps it would help if you knew how Google works.

Quote:

PageRank Explained

PageRank relies on the uniquely democratic nature of the web by using its vast link structure as an indicator of an individual page's value. In essence, Google interprets a link from page A to page B as a vote, by page A, for page B. But, Google looks at more than the sheer volume of votes, or links a page receives; it also analyzes the page that casts the vote. Votes cast by pages that are themselves "important" weigh more heavily and help to make other pages "important."

Important, high-quality sites receive a higher PageRank, which Google remembers each time it conducts a search. Of course, important pages mean nothing to you if they don't match your query. So, Google combines PageRank with sophisticated text-matching techniques to find pages that are both important and relevant to your search. Google goes far beyond the number of times a term appears on a page and examines all aspects of the page's content (and the content of the pages linking to it) to determine if it's a good match for your query.

I know that this is why I and a number of my colleagues and many other people around the Internet use Google. It's because the system is "democratic" and clearly explained.

What about Yahoo? Maybe this screenshot from a search I just did would help:

• Reply 14 of 32
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

I know that this is why I and a number of my colleagues and many other people around the Internet use Google. It's because the system is "democratic" and clearly explained.

Bullshit.

Anti-war slogan coined, repurposed and Googlewashed... in 42 days

Google washes whiter

Google turns news 'bug' into payola feature

Google News: press releases are OK - Official

Quote:

Google has built its global brand on two fronts.

It's fast, cheap, tasteful and good. Then there's this other, weird, creepy, techno-utopian strand of Google-worshipping narcissists, who attribute the corporation with almost mystical properties. Its Zeitgeist, somehow, reflects the will of the people. Its PageRank is "uniquely democratic".

It's a business. Realize this.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Well, it provides a clean search with usually very good results for me.

Yahoo has been accused of some things too. I've seen many times mention of Yahoo ranking paying sites higher than others, but I don't really feel like digging up some links about it.

Any chance you have reports from someone other than The Register? After reading some of it's rumor-mongering Apple "news" stories, I haven't exactly held it in the highest regards.

Also, do you have any really *better* search engine, though, serrano?
  • Reply 16 of 32
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

Choose a Mac. Choose iPod, Keynote, Safari, high caffeine and no sleep. Choose matching signatures. Choose the threads in a range of fscking arguments. Choose no one in your vB buddylist. Choose Stevewear, dsl and your neighbors bandwidth. Choose sitting behind your Mac looking at mind-numbing, spirit-crushing flames, rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in some miserable flaming, nothing more than embarassment to the selfish, fscked up lusers that dial up with AOL. Choose AO.

The reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got a Mac?

Awesome movie....read the book?
  • Reply 17 of 32
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Well, it provides a clean search with usually very good results for me.

Yahoo has been accused of some things too. I've seen many times mention of Yahoo ranking paying sites higher than others, but I don't really feel like digging up some links about it.

Any chance you have reports from someone other than The Register? After reading some of it's rumor-mongering Apple "news" stories, I haven't exactly held it in the highest regards.

Oh, of course not. I use google exclusively, it's still the cleanest, quickest and most accurate search engine available.

I'm just not about to place it on some moral pedestal.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    I dunno I use google because it corrects my spelling - which I`m very bad at - and it always seems to find what I`m looking for with in the first few hits - like alcimedes said.

I also like how it does not really search through meta tags but through content so I know the content I`m looking for will actually be there when I click the link.

Before google I used to use dogpile.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

you should append your signature to be a hyperlink to google since you seem to advocate it's use

hey, if they're to ****ing lazy to type in google.com (or to stupid to know what it is) they're basicaly beyond help.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

First of all, Google censors the results. For that reason alone I'm hoping for a Google replacement. It could just be Google minus censorship and I'd be 100% happy.

As for better, it depends on what and how you're looking for. www.alltheweb.com is kick butt when you're looking for something specific. It has the ability to look for exact quotes which is nice when you can remember half a sentence from an entire article. Search and there it is.