itunes ipod limewire questions

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I suppose I could search the apple site for help, but you guys are much faster, more honest and sometimes more accurate.

My ipod should be arriving tomorrow, and I have been downloading lots of music from itunes and limewire/sharing and importing all my CDs to get ready to max out my 5gigs on my ipod.

My question is, it seems that I have everything set correctly - to store all the music in ONE folder (itunes) and when I check my folder against the songs in itunes library, they aren't all there. I have the new iTunes, and made sure I am in the right folder. Does itunes check for new downloaded music on it's own, or do I have to frequently update my own library each time I download? I DID drag that iTunes music folder into the iTunes application to copy the mp3s there, and instead of updating just the songs it needed, it made duplicates of what I already had. What a pain! I am clearly doing things like a moron, so if you can help me store my music more proficiently, I would appreciate it.

Secondly, now that I have 2 of every song in my itunes library...how do I fix that? I was so mad b/c I just went through and reorganized the whole lib to make sure that there was only one folder for each artist...and now, not only do I have my neat little folders but the duplicate ones with artists names spelled wrong or with *'s or - in between things...

Why is it if one song has an artist called BOB MARLEY, but someone writes *BOBMARLEY or "bob-marley" it makes separate artists for each one and the only way to change it is to adjust the song info individually? Anyway to fix this in the itunes music folder and drag it to the app?

Man, I feel so STUPID!

Thanks. Let me know if you need more info.

Jessica

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    loganlogan Posts: 284member
    Hi, well in iTunes try going to advanced and hitting consolodate library, that should actually COPY all your songs into one folder (your itunes folder) and then u can delete them for wherever they are.

PS i live in la jolla and u live in encinitas ... thats close
  • Reply 2 of 4
    chic4macchic4mac Posts: 99member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Logan

Hi, well in iTunes try going to advanced and hitting consolodate library, that should actually COPY all your songs into one folder (your itunes folder) and then u can delete them for wherever they are.

PS i live in la jolla and u live in encinitas ... thats close

Hey Logan. Thanks. I thought I tried that, but will do it again. Yep. LJ is close
  • Reply 3 of 4
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    When you download songs with Limewire or similar, don't download them to your iTunes folder; rather to some other folder. In that downloads folder, double click on each of the songs; which will add and copy them to your iTunes library and your iTunes folder. Then you will probably want to dispose of the original from your downloads folder.

As for your problem with multiple artist names/folders; command-click on all the songs in your library list for which you want to correct the problem, hit command-i, then the info tab, then change or correct the artist name, album title, etc. This will change that information for all the songs you selected and organize them in correctly named folders. It's like magic.

An easier way is to actually buy your music from the iTunes Music Store. These tunes are very well organized and will not require you to go through all this trouble.

Hope this helps.

edit: Forgot to mention, for all of this to work, you must have selected "keep iTunes Music folder organized" and "copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library" in advanced preferences.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    chic4macchic4mac Posts: 99member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

When you download songs with Limewire or similar, don't download .....

An easier way is to actually buy your music from the iTunes Music Store. These tunes are very well organized and will not require you to go through all this trouble.

Hope this helps.

Yes! you have helped! thanks