iTunesdl, iSuck, et al.

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Has anyone used any of the tools out now that allow you to download people's shared iTunes music? I've given them a try, and, well, it's great. But I have a feeling they're going to be shut down by Apple. You still can't play other people's protected (iTunes Music Store) AAC files, at least until the DRM is cracked, but I don't think they want the publicity of iTunes being a P2P app.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    this is a loophole that will be closed to appease the record companies...whether it stays closed or if people keep finding work arounds, that is another question...if the loophole can't be closed, i see apple making iTunes where it will no longer stream other iTune libraries...and that would be a sad day...

g
  • Reply 2 of 4
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    this was really disapointing when i heard about it... it made me put a password on my IP so people have to ask me for it...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

this was really disapointing when i heard about it... it made me put a password on my IP so people have to ask me for it...

I agree. How many times do you have to be told to stop stealing?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Unfortunately, the industry is jittery enough about streaming over the net, because in their minds that constitutes broadcasting. If people are converting the streams to local files, effectively making iTunes a P2P app, Apple will be under extreme pressure to kill that feature, or restrict it in some awful way.

Worse, the advocates of DRM will have one more abuse to point to in their crusade to eliminate fair use and the doctrine of first sale.

Sometimes I wonder if the RIAA doesn't hire people on the sly to write these apps. The authors might as well be on their payroll.

I have to say, I've been gladdened by the quick responses of SpyMac et al in shutting down their servers once they realized how they were being abused. We'll just have to hope that there are enough other people acting in good conscience to affirm Jobs' (and the Constitution's) belief that you can and should give people the benefit of the doubt.