Resolved: Bad News for hopes of a 970 Mac soon?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    thai moofthai moof Posts: 76member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I perceive this as good news as this is a very minor update that nobody will notice and won't be publicized. Had ThinkSecret reported of speedbumps, I would be more worried.

Excellent point. The PowerMacs were upgraded several months ago, it seems that if a speed bump were in the cards rumors of such an update would be leaking out about now. Instead the rumor is for a very minor update. I think it is clear that Apple HW engineers have been working on other projects , with the interns tweaking the existing lines. Or so I hope!

[edit: grammar]
  • Reply 42 of 55
    Our report is accurate, but don't read too much into this -- the 970 is still on track, and there's little connection between it and P58C, other than that this could be the last Power Mac update before the 970. If you're waiting for the 970 and you think this is a good thing, you're probably right.

It's worth reiterating that P58C is a minor, invisible, technical update. It will not revert to the QuickSilver casing (that's simply an illustrative picture). It won't contain the 970. While we're told that some updates are related to Panther, that certainly doesn't mean that pre-May Power Macs won't support 10.3.

Finally, Think Secret isn't hard up for 970 info, but there are several points we're still confirming. We'd like to provide as full a picture we can with our first report, and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to email me.

-Nick
  • Reply 43 of 55
    thai moofthai moof Posts: 76member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nick dePlume

Our report is accurate, but don't read too much into this -- the 970 is still on track, and there's little connection between it and P58C, other than that this could be the last Power Mac update before the 970. If you're waiting for the 970 and you think this is a good thing, you're probably right.

It's worth reiterating that P58C is a minor, invisible, technical update. It will not revert to the QuickSilver casing (that's simply an illustrative picture). It won't contain the 970. While we're told that some updates are related to Panther, that certainly doesn't mean that pre-May Power Macs won't support 10.3.

Finally, Think Secret isn't hard up for 970 info, but there are several points we're still confirming. We'd like to provide as full a picture we can with our first report, and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to email me.

-Nick

Thanks for the update. Can't wait to read your report.
  • Reply 44 of 55
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

I find it likely that these machines will have support for both firewire800 and USB2. USB2 support appears to be almost ready in the currently shipping machines.

Or perhaps they are address noise (heat) issues...

Or perhaps the production lines have already been retooled to support 970 machines but Apple still needs to make G4s until the 970s are ready.

Or... perhaps apple has renegotiated hardware supplier/manufacturing contracts in preperation for the 970, leading to slightly varied components in existing machines.

I, too, think they just got a newer version of some component; this may even be a power supply or a better fan. If this were a mere firmware update, why bother? Simply post the update and that's it. The words that the tweaks are related to Panther compatibility are very suspicious, IMHO. I think that somebody ThinkSecret talked to was not aware of every detail.

If Apple still can sell 50k PowerMacs per month, a painless upgrade of supporting hardware (fans, PS, some more reliable capacitors or a battery) makes sense even if PPC970-based PowerMacs are going to shops by the end of June. My 2 cents.
  • Reply 45 of 55
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Thank god for Nick dePlume.
  • Reply 46 of 55
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Thank god for Nick dePlume.

Did you forget the proper formatting...?!?

[sarcasm] Insert text here [/sarcasm]

;^p
  • Reply 47 of 55
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    Thanks Nick for the update.

End of Story. Move along.
  • Reply 48 of 55
    nitzernitzer Posts: 115member
    Quote:

-Nick

All right boys, I'll hold him down while you guys pummel him till he sings!
  • Reply 49 of 55
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nitzer

All right boys, I'll hold him down while you guys pummel him till he sings!

Yeah, remember how mac-forum-ites banded together to catch that eBay, powerbook fraud... we had members driving by the guy's house late at night taking pictures of liscense plate numbers and such.

Heheh... first we try the easy way... beer.

Then we bring in bruisers and if we have to...

nick his plume straight off...
  • Reply 50 of 55
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Nick, if you could just PM me all your information, confirmed or otherwise, that would be great. I'd rather not wait for the official published version.

• Reply 51 of 55
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    yes, Nick, please send that info to Programmer c/o thegelding....programmer just emailed me that he was going to be away from his computer for awhile, so you should send it to me...i promise to forward it to him

thank you

g

(dang, smart informative posters like programmer get all the juice, while idiot stupid posters like me get squat...it just ain't fair....maybe i will send nice emails to neworder and make him my new best friend at AI...

thegelding makes a list of people to kiss up to at ai:

Nick dePlume, Moki, NewOrder, Programmer, the admins and mods if i feel like brown-nosing some.....)
  • Reply 52 of 55
    ghstmarsghstmars Posts: 140member
    hahahahahahahah ^ with all those posts, how do you think i compare!!1
  • Reply 53 of 55
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

Nick, if you could just PM me all your information, confirmed or otherwise, that would be great. I'd rather not wait for the official published version.

I would be content with the Reader's Digest condensed version.
  • Reply 54 of 55
    joecooljoecool Posts: 97member
    Let me guess. That was the REAL Nick De Plume?? Sorry guys. I know It's a stupid question but there is so much sarcasm at times with you guys!!! He he he.
  • Reply 55 of 55
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    +Thanks for the clarification, Nick. I was going to poke my head in here and make my two cents (but hearing it from the source of the article is certainly more convincing to most than me...)

Perhaps we should compare notes.

Also: how many @#$^%^ 970 topics can we have?

Since this one's resolved, i'm gonna go ahead and lock'er up.