Differences between KDE and GNOME

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
What are the differences between them other than the obvious different GUIs?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    saabmp3saabmp3 Posts: 52member
    Well, KDE and GNOME are two different windowing managers for X. Basically, they are completly different GUI's with different compatibility sets (that's a big difference). So I guess a simple answer to your question is, the GUI is the big difference.

BEN
  • Reply 2 of 6
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    ...except in Red Hat and Yellow Dog Linux, where the GUI differences are eliminated through a common "BlueCurve" interface.

Yeah, they're different ways of easily writing graphical applications in *nix. Open source zealots don't like KDE because it isn't 100% open source in every possible way. Damn zealots.

Barto
  • Reply 3 of 6
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Well, KDE and GNOME are two different windowing managers for X

KDE and GNOME are not window managers. They're complete desktop environments. They may be used in conjunction with a variety of window managers.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

Open source zealots don't like KDE because it isn't 100% open source in every possible way. Damn zealots.

Usability zealots don't like KDE because it has worse flaws than GNOME does.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    OK. Which one is better in your opinion? I kinda like them both...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    I prefered GNOME 1.4 over KDE 2.x from a UI perspective, but KDE 3.x rocks. BlueCurve rocks even more.

Nothing comes close to Mac OS X of course, so I just judge it on "what's furthest ahead of Windows"

I am not a zealot. There are zealots who believe in the original Holy Commandments of Jeff Raskin and Bruce Togazannieneenenene. I don't know what they would prefer.

I like 1) BlueCurve, 2) KDE 3.x, 3) GNOME 2 in that order. I'm not basing that on anything other that my user experience.

As for a programming perspective, I don't really know. KDevelop seems alright for developing quick simple apps (eg shareware-style).

Barto