Wwdc

Comments

• Reply 81 of 770
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

So did every other ADC subscriber. What's the point?

Not everyone is an ADC describer. Thanks for sharing NETROMac.

And yes WWDC (World Wide Developers Conference) is intended for Apple Developers, though sometimes its keynote address is also used for product announcements.
  • Reply 82 of 770
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

So did every other ADC subscriber. What's the point?

Oh I don't know. I'm sorry I bothered you
  • Reply 83 of 770
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

Recieved this mail from ADC today:

On June 23, WWDC 2003 attendees will be the first to explore the powerful new capabilities of the next major release of Mac OS X, codenamed "Panther." This year's conference is shaping up to be the biggest in Apple's history.

If you want to create products that fully exploit the next generation of innovative technologies from Apple, deliver the most compelling media experiences for your users, or leverage the open source and open standards approach of Apple's server solutions within your enterprise, then you definitely want to be at WWDC 2003.

And, you'll also to want act quickly. Our Early Registration Discount ends on Friday, May 23. After that, WWDC e-ticket prices increase by US $300, so register today to save big on this important event. (If you are a Premier member, don't forget to register for your free conference pass!)

Don't forget, all WWDC 2003 attendees will receive a preview release of the next major version of Mac OS X, along with post-conference access to sessions online, and a WWDC 2003 Sessions DVD set.

Register today at

<http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/registration.html>.

Best Regards,

Apple Developer Connection

Does not sound to promising for a hardware announcement...
  • Reply 84 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

Does not sound to promising for a hardware announcement...

How is that ?
  • Reply 85 of 770
    Quote:

How is that ?

Well aside from this:

Quote:

or leverage the open source and open standards approach of Apple's server solutions within your enterprise

Which I believe is more aimed towards Mac OS 10 Server Panther, there is no mention of hardware. Am I right? \
  • Reply 86 of 770
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Which is why it's called a surprise...

They've got something big planned... 32 To Be Announced slots on the WWDC schedule. Traditionally, those are filled with newly announced stuff from the Keynote.
  • Reply 87 of 770
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Quote:

Recieved this mail from ADC today:

...This year's conference is shaping up to be the biggest in Apple's history...

Best Regards,

Apple Developer Connection

I'd say this foreshadows the ppc970 intro at WWDC. Certainly Panther is not bigger than the jump from OS 9 to OS X.

Alternatively, "bigger" could simply be referring to the amount of exhibits planned.

Or maybe it's just PR drivel.
  • Reply 88 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

I'd say this foreshadows the ppc970 intro at WWDC. Certainly Panther is not bigger than the jump from OS 9 to OS X.

Exactly what I thought. I think Apple is trying to signal in a subtle way that this is not an event you would "wan't to miss". This is going to be something special, and I don't think they are talking about the physical size of the event. Well, we'll see in about 37 days.
  • Reply 89 of 770

May 17 1991, World Wide Web released on CERN machines

Tim Berners-Lee, a British computer scientist on fellowship at CERN (the European Particle Physics Laboratory in Geneva, Switzerland), presented the architecture for the World Wide Web to a CERN committee and released a version of the Web on CERN's computers.

Since 1989, Berners-Lee had been working on a hypertext system that would allow documents to "link" to each other easily. By 1990, he had created the basic parameters of the World Wide Web, which were posted on the Internet in the summer of 1991. Berners-Lee continued to develop the Web through 1993, working with feedback from Internet users. By late 1991 and early 1992, the Web was widely discussed, and in early 1993, when Marc Andreessen and other graduate students at the University of Illinois released the Mosaic browser (Netscape's precursor), the Web rapidly became a popular communications medium.
  • Reply 90 of 770
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    Apple is claiming that this WWDC will be the biggest ever (or may be).

In their minds, I'm certain that Panther is much bigger than the OS 9 transition. OS 9 is crud, scum, and well-forgotten scum to the NeXTies and its departure from the scene was/is a mere footnote to them.

All this is designed to bring developers to SF, paying developers.

WWDC represents about $3-5 million in cashflow for Apple, and about $3-8 million for the city/travel industries. That's worth a lot of hype to promote, don't you think?
  • Reply 91 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

Alternatively, "bigger" could simply be referring to the amount of exhibits planned.

Or maybe it's just PR drivel.

They're combining teh QuickTime and WWDC conferences. Of course it's going to be bigger than ever.
  • Reply 92 of 770
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    So it is basically PR RDF.

nuff said.
  • Reply 93 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by jccbin

So it is basically PR RDF.

nuff said.

Exactly. How many years have they said "This is one (event name) you won't want to miss!" or "This year will be bigger than ever" kind of slogans?

I believe that we will see something at the Create Expo or even Seybold which is in San Francisco in September.

I think Apple will want to start to do shoot offs of the PowerMac vs. Intel with Photoshop again. That kind of speed test would be sort of useless to a developer show. At Seybold? Bring it on! That is what people there want to see.
  • Reply 94 of 770

May 18 1982, New program from software pioneer

On this day in 1982, VisiCalc producer Software Arts unveiled a new program, TK/Solver, designed to let professionals use advanced mathematical formulas and tables. Although VisiCalc still held a dominant position, other spreadsheets had started to enter the market, and Software Arts needed new products to stay ahead. Unfortunately, Lotus 1-2-3, introduced in 1983, quickly overtook the spreadsheet market: Two years later, Lotus purchased Software Arts.
  • Reply 95 of 770
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Apple is claiming that this WWDC will be the biggest ever (or may be).

In their minds, I'm certain that Panther is much bigger than the OS 9 transition. OS 9 is crud, scum, and well-forgotten scum to the NeXTies and its departure from the scene was/is a mere footnote to them.

All this is designed to bring developers to SF, paying developers.

WWDC represents about $3-5 million in cashflow for Apple, and about $3-8 million for the city/travel industries. That's worth a lot of hype to promote, don't you think?

WWDC is bigger this year because of QuickTime LIVE! and a new Enterprise IT track.
  • Reply 96 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

Exactly. How many years have they said "This is one (event name) you won't want to miss!" or "This year will be bigger than ever" kind of slogans?

So then, what should they say. "On June 23, WWDC 2003 attendees will be the first to explore the new capabilities of the next release of Mac OS X, codenamed "Panther." This year's conference is shaping up to be somewhat smaller than other conferences in Apple's history. Don't count on new hardware being introduced eihter."

Serously though, you're right that Apple often use these kind of slogans before an event. But you have to remember that the WWDC's in the recent few years have been quite important to Apple with the transition to os X, and trying to get all developers on board with that. It's important for Apple to show developers the capabilities of os X, and it also have been important for them to tell developers that this is where we're going, so you better go with us - remember the famous "the train has left the station" statement from Jobs. So for a few WWDC's now, Apple has both introduced new major revisions of os X and also introduced / previewed new hardware. This has never in any way been tied into the teasers before the conference.

I also think that Apple - even though they don't comment on it - knows that many developers suspects that new important hardware is going to be previewed/introduced at the event. And the "This year's conference is shaping up to be the biggest in Apple's history" statement is somewhat meant to emphasize this possibility. And if Apple HAS new hardware coming, and hardware that is very important for Apple's future, and they don't want to let the cat out of the bag completely, they have to make such subtle announcements. And I don't think they are referring to the physical size of the event.

And the yet to be announced sessions is also a sign that there's something coming. Or what is it about panther that is so new and special that it needs 32 separate sessions to outline? I don't know, but it has to be something very cool to warrant 32 sessions.

I guess we'll know the answer 36 days from now.
  • Reply 97 of 770
    Quote:

No! Developers aren't stupid, and if Apple lures them to the WWDC with the "This is one event you won't want to miss!" slogan and has nothing special to show them, they won't be fooled again. Apple knows this, and I don't think the $3-5 in cashflow for Apple is worth pissing a lot of developers off. I'm sure Apple sees it this way also.
  • Reply 98 of 770
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member
    I would think that some of the developers going to WWDC would have already seen a 970. Unless Apple doesn't seed machines anymore. They may be under a heavy NDA but if the machines are going to be released soon, they should have some out there testing software. Anyone have any idea how many developers do get these test boxes? I would think the likes of Adobe and Microsoft would get them but I joked recently on these boards that Moki had one and he said he didn't. His company seems like a mid-sized developer and may not get one early on.
  • Reply 99 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kurt

...but I joked recently on these boards that Moki had one and he said he didn't. His company seems like a mid-sized developer and may not get one early on.

I don't know about moki. I think he has been a little more "enigmatic" than usually lately
  • Reply 100 of 770
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member
    Quote:

I don't know about moki. I think he has been a little more "enigmatic" than usually lately

He did flat out deny it. I would have hoped he would have at least given a good government, "No comment", or "I can not discuss whether I have a machine or not."

That would have at least let us know he did without disclosing anything.