970 for sure but what about the Power4 as well?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
lock it up if this has been pondered before... but what if they came out with more advanced powermacs say for the power series of processors too, and not just the 970 say for more pro stuff and less consumer application? I mean maya or shake would smoke on somethen like a 4 or 8 way on one of those. I was just daydreaming but still if they got the 970 who's to say they don't get a lot of other goodies from IBM as well?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Methinks you should peruse the specs on the Power4 before wondering anymore . A Power4 is more than a simple microprocessor --- this thing's got eight cores I believe (or is it four per Power4 module -- CPU wizards help me out).

I guess Apple could trick out some XServes to accomodate one Power4 module; hadn't ever thought of such before. I've only seen them in huge "eServers" with quite a few modules per unit. Or wait -- are there Power4 blades with just one module?

I'm outta my league here...

It be pretty darn expensive, but nice.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    Sure it'd be expensive, but I mean theres plenty of places that'd put down the cash on it I'm sure. Lots of post production friends I know go between systems like Avid Symphony, and maybe another color correction box, and possibly an audio suite. I just wish there was a system that for under 15,000 grande got me real time HD possibly, fast renders throught any program. We all know OS X would just scream on this hardware... I wish they'd offer it too those who would take advantage of it.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    I've been looking through IBM's literature since you've piqued my own interest in the idea . I hope, instead of seeing full-fledged Power4 MCMs pop up in high-level workstations (which wouldn't be bad, mind you), we see similar configurations available with the 970 -- 4-way symmetric multiprocessing, etc.

What WOULD be nice is if Apple, in its workings with IBM, opened up licensing on OS X to them (IBM), so that they could offer OS X-powered workstations and servers.

It would be enormous; Apple'd have the marketshare of graphics pros right there, but they wouldn't stand to make as much money as they'd like. So they wouldn't ever do that....guess we can dream.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Yeah, the POWER4 is overdetermined for this kind of work. It's really meant for big iron like the p690, the likes of which Apple will never make.

Now, on the other hand, the 980 looks to be the POWER5 without the extra-thick gates and with an Altivec unit. The POWER5 won't be a beast like the POWER4, but it's probably going to end up in the same hardware (only without requiring a 700 pound press to place it on the motherboard). With the much higher bandwidth fabrics available now, the POWER4's close-knit MCM design won't be necessary.

The machines based on the 970 will be very nice indeed. The machines based on the 980 will likely be jaw-dropping.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    What's it mean (if anything) in this regard as to gcc being updated for the 970 and the Power4?
  • Reply 6 of 34
    well actually since the GCC was updated for the power4 thats what lead me to this asumption that it'd be possible. Now I'll admit I'm totally clueless in respect to the technicalities on things of this sort, but I mean I think apple's future strategy is not to just embrace the 970 but that new g3 fx+ (correct me if i'm mistaken) and possibly something even more high end. Apple knows the 970 is where most of its at, but still with intel and AMD down our backs it'd be a serious touché to them if all of a sudden we suddenly could buy a 4-way supermac that ran all the apps we all like to use everyday throughout but just 200x times faster maybe a renderfarm series xserve, and a desktop machine. Similiar to the the Irix machines of times past. One thing to point out though is that customized graphics solutions have gone the way of the dinosaur, just look at SGI... so I bet they are probably not going to market them if they made them at all.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    Well, I don't think that Apple is going to start licensing OS-X anytime soon to anybody, including IBM, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised at a collaborative effort, with special Apple branded and modified versions of some of IBM's mid-range servers running OS-X server. Apple would maintain control of the OS, but IBM would market and service the mid range products under Apple's name. This would be totally in keeping with both Apple's and IBM's current business models, without a high risk to either one.

I would see these machines most likely marketed to certain specialized creative and scientific markets. While I have to date thought of this as being 970 variants, conceivably it could be expanded to Power 4/5 type machines, if there is any indication off demand.

Of course this is just "wild" speculation.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Here's some pricing for IBM's p630 POWER4-based workstations.

Single processor models start at $16,000 and the top-of-the-line 1.45GHz 4-way costs $38,000.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    oh man thats not that bad if thats all they are...i mean a lot of real time video post equipment say avid symphony, digital dukes, anything from discreet easily runs into that amount with ease. And the problem with those are they are pretty much for one task... I think it'd be just so sweet to have a system that could do 3d incredibly fast, real time video editing, a fast compositor, and check my mail on one machine...
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

oh man thats not that bad if thats all they are...i mean a lot of real time video post equipment say avid symphony, digital dukes, anything from discreet easily runs into that amount with ease. And the problem with those are they are pretty much for one task... I think it'd be just so sweet to have a system that could do 3d incredibly fast, real time video editing, a fast compositor, and check my mail on one machine...

The Power4 has no 3D edge over any other CPU. And actually has some disadvantages (no SIMD). You'd still need to spend about that much again for the real time digital video cards, software, etc.

So we're talking about $50-70k for a high end, real time, Power4-based video system.

Still interested?

I didn't think so.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Don't worry, Apple will have the 3D, video and music markets well covered. The 970 was designed for media crunching (and multiprocessing)
  • Reply 12 of 34
    producerproducer Posts: 283member
    Power4

Power5
  • Reply 13 of 34
    its not that the power4 or power5 or superduperchip5000 whateveer, I'm just proposing that apple and IBM will share more than just the 970...
  • Reply 14 of 34
    mokimoki Posts: 551member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

lock it up if this has been pondered before... but what if they came out with more advanced powermacs say for the power series of processors too, and not just the 970 say for more pro stuff and less consumer application? I mean maya or shake would smoke on somethen like a 4 or 8 way on one of those. I was just daydreaming but still if they got the 970 who's to say they don't get a lot of other goodies from IBM as well?

I highly doubt it. First of all, the POWER series is not a consumer-level chip; the cost of the modules themselves is out of the consumer price range, let alone the rest of the motherboard.

Morever, if Apple were to use a POWER series chip (which I don't believe will happen), it would be the POWER5, not the POWER4.

That's four chips in one module, with each dual-core chip having 2 processors. It looks mean because it is. And priced well beyond the range Apple sells in.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    The only way you'll see Mac OS X running on POWER4 or POWER5 is if Apple licenses Mac OS X to IBM.

This doesn't sound like something Steve Jobs would feel comfortable with doing. But I have heard rumors that say "in order to convince IBM to develop the 970, Apple promised IBM the ability to license Mac OS X Server once the 970 machines hit the market."

I don't think it would undercut anything by Apple, since IBM servers tend to be quite expensive (remember, IBM is still selling 604e-based machines for over $5,000 in the year 2003.)
  • Reply 16 of 34
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    I read about the Power 4 with its multicore design and then several modules put together in a multicore module. A nifty little thing for the new Cube Macintosh

It does produce 2kW that need to be cooled off. I think the largest Krell amplifiers dissapate somthing like that without fans so it can be done. They do weigh something above 100 kg so it will be a "sturdy" cube
  • Reply 17 of 34
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DrBoar

I read about the Power 4 with its multicore design and then several modules put together in a multicore module. A nifty little thing for the new Cube Macintosh

It does produce 2kW that need to be cooled off. I think the largest Krell amplifiers dissapate somthing like that without fans so it can be done. They do weigh something above 100 kg so it will be a "sturdy" cube

...sounds like a job for transparent aluminum case.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    nevynnevyn Posts: 360member
    If we see Mac OS X Server running on a Power4 box, the logo on the front will read "IBM".
  • Reply 19 of 34
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Apparently Linux has been ported to POWER5 at an IBM Lab in Austin Texas.

Here's the Insanely Great Mac story, and here's one of the boot logs from Linux on Power5.

Looks like developement is going foreward at steady pace at IBM, with the Power5 coming now and with the Power6 scheduled for around 2004-2005.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    The power 4 is too huge for a powermac and lack an altivec unit. It means inferior performance in stuff like photoshop, a great disapointment if you consider the prize of the beast (compared to a normal PPC 970).

Dual PPC 970 will smoke any previous powermac in most applications and especially in 3D. The ppc 980 will have SMT capabilities, something that will not increase the SIMD performances, but will dramatically boost int and fp performances. PPC 9800 will have a dual core, and thus will beat any previous power 4 in all aeras. The future of the PPC chips is there, at least for the next 5 years (and who can predict the future of the pentium family for the next 5 years ? )