Any good school websites out there?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm in the process of updating our school website. We've finally got a couple of pupils who understand PHP. So now I need some good ideas. Does anyone know of a decent school website which provides resources for students at home, uses the site to keep parents involved with school or is generally just worth looking at for new ways of doing things?

Sorry, just read this over and it seems a pretty dry topic ....... (adds smilie to make it more exciting)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    what do you mean keep parents involved?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    jimdadjimdad Posts: 209member
    One of the big pushes in education this side of the pond is to keep parents up to date with events in the school, enable them to check what homework the kids really have, give them tips on how they can help the kids with h/work and anything else that gets them using the school website regularly as a means of staying in touch with their kid's education.

I know ....
  • Reply 3 of 9
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    wilsonhs.org ?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    i think its rather hard to set up a system of getting homework online ever night and specially if you would be wanting grades to be online that would be a daring move (security wise)
  • Reply 5 of 9
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    My business partner and I wrote a perl suite of scripts to manage homework. Was pretty easy, but then again, we are that good. Not to mention that we write standards compliant code, unlike some people around here! *cough*Brad*cough*

It's totally doable, easy for the teachers to particiapte in, etceteras. We had great success with the school we deployed it at.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    there is always that apple thing,,, PowerSchool, i think
  • Reply 7 of 9
    www.moodle.org may be worth a look though it's possibly not what you're looking for. It's more on-line teaching support.

But it is probably the kind of thing you want i.e. a content management system or cms. You might want to try setting up a blog for school news. I think b2 is written in php so check out http://cafelog.com/ (though the developer is currently MIA.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by M3D Jack

My business partner and I wrote a perl suite of scripts to manage homework. Was pretty easy, but then again, we are that good. Not to mention that we write standards compliant code, unlike some people around here! *cough*Brad*cough*

It's totally doable, easy for the teachers to particiapte in, etceteras. We had great success with the school we deployed it at.

or its not as hard if you have someone do it for you haha...now getting to teachers to participate would be the hard part
  • Reply 9 of 9
    jimdadjimdad Posts: 209member
    Quote:

Originally posted by M3D Jack

Is there a site I could look at to see this in action ?