Where is G4Noise.com?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
What happend to that web site it all ways times out on me...did it go offline as the PS kits are out? I'd like to post how happy i am about my kit that i got today and thank the guy that made the web site

For those waiting go and get the kit....it is better....i would say easy they are %50 better than befor.

Frank_t

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    a@rona@ron Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by frank_t

What happend to that web site it all ways times out on me...did it go offline as the PS kits are out? I'd like to post how happy i am about my kit that i got today and thank the guy that made the web site

For those waiting go and get the kit....it is better....i would say easy they are %50 better than befor.

Frank_t

I'm still waiting to see what someone says about the verax kit for the 120mm cpu fan...

A@ron
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

I'd like to post how happy i am about my kit that i got today and thank the guy that made the web site

If his site is down, I'd look in Wired for a name... then google his company... then send him an e-mail. In the Wired article he sounded pretty bitter about Apple not contacting him to let him know he was right and apologizing.

However, I have observed "journalistic license" be abused so many times that I'm not convinced he said the things they say he did.

For the record, Apple never contacted me to apologize for the Graphite base station power supply fiasco either.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Constantin

For the record, Apple never contacted me to apologize for the Graphite base station power supply fiasco either.

Constantin: But the instructions on your ABS website keep helping people replace the two blown capacitors. I successfully repaired my ABS just a few months ago. Your sense of civic duty has helped many ABS owners. Thank you!

There's a similar problem with the white iBooks. All revisions starting with the May 2001 iBook (Dual USB) have exhibited a tendency to pinch the backlight cable in the hinge. I have litterally read about hundreds of other instances. Yet Apple hasn't acknowledged this obvious design defect in any way or offered to repair it free of charge. They just expect us to bear the risk of owning poorly-designed electronics.

I wonder why Apple chose to address the MDD noise problem with a free "repair" kit, while it has completely ignored the proplems with the graphite ABS and iBook backlight cables. Apple's choice is especially disturbing considering that the ABS and iBook problems were fatal, while G4 noise was non-fatal.

Thankfully, the overall benefits of owning a Mac, and running Mac OS X, far outweigh these irritating issues.

Escher
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

There's a similar problem with the white iBooks. All revisions starting with the May 2001 iBook (Dual USB) have exhibited a tendency to pinch the backlight cable in the hinge. I have litterally read about hundreds of other instances. Yet Apple hasn't acknowledged this obvious design defect in any way or offered to repair it free of charge. They just expect us to bear the risk of owning poorly-designed electronics.

Or note the high number of TiBooks with blown Firewire ports because the folks in Cupertino cut corners re: protecting the I/O hardware from voltage fluctuations (such as when you stick in a bus-powered device).

Software-wise, they aren't doing much better. The firmware on the AEBS has also been updated a number of times to fix serious disconnect issues where the AEBS became virtually unusable. Proper testing should have uncovered these issues.

Apple certainly has pushed the boundaries of design. But a common thread with most of their recent machines is a lack of long-term testing to ensure proper performance in the real world. This is a shame, as I believe it will cost the company far more than they imagine.

For example, no matter how much I drool at the thought of eventually owning a 970-powered Mac, I am going to wait at least six months until after introduction to wait for the bugs to be ironed out. Gone are the days that Macs "just worked".

Apple seems to treat early adopters as stupid beta testers. Not only do we get to pay full retail for half-baked hardware, we also get labeled as liars by support folks when we report a problem as a design or manufacturing defect. Not the best policy, IMHO.

Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

I wonder why Apple chose to address the MDD noise problem with a free "repair" kit, while it has completely ignored the proplems with the graphite ABS and iBook backlight cables. Apple's choice is especially disturbing considering that the ABS and iBook problems were fatal, while G4 noise was non-fatal.

The answer is quite simple. The MDD folks made a big stink and even got covered in Wired and other well-read online publications. That causes enough embarassment in Cupertino to force the company to do something lest they look really bad.

Similarly, the base station repair instructions I posted emboldened a lot of people to call and complain to Apple. Evidently, getting "No" for an answer is a lot easier to counter when you can document that a lot of fellow users have the same issue.

However, note that the Graphite ABS exchange program is not documented publicly (i.e. it is a Apple-only KB article). The ABS failures also generated thousands of posts at Apple (most of which have vanished by now).

So, where does this leave me? Well, my recommendation is to create a site of your own which looks at the failure modes of these cables. Perhaps document a fix the way I did. Point people in the right direction re: Apple.

The more calls they get from irate but informed consumers, the better. Hopefully it will lead to better product design in the future.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Speaking of pinched backlight cables in iBooks. I could REALLY use a set of detailed instructions on how to fix this. I have this issue myself and it's out of warrantee...
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Some bad news... Apple no longer repairs blown Graphite ABS power supplies. Oh well.

As for iBooks baklighting, I'd be happy to host the info. Just provide the info and the text, and I'll do the rest. Cheers!
  • Reply 7 of 8
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Frank_t

At least we won't be needing a G5noise.com, because Apple actually spent time designing the Powermac G5 instead of just slapping on some fast fans.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

At least we won't be needing a G5noise.com, because Apple actually spent time designing the Powermac G5 instead of just slapping on some fast fans.

Agreed. On the other hand, some folks are having some rather toasty issues with their hard drives. One post I read mentioned twin SATA drives too hot to touch, with one going kaplooie. While the failed drive was replaced under warranty, the other SATA drive was not. After all, if it still runs, it must be OK, right?

Bad Apple! They could have easily sold the cooked drive to Dell as a refurb! Dell customers wouldn't expect any different!