Dock Tricks

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Most peeps on ADC will already know about this, but i'm posting for the relative newbies like myself who do not yet understand the power of the dock....

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/macxhints/

About halfway down you will see that "Chapter 3 - The Dock" is available as a sample for the book in pdf format. Its full of lots of things I didnt know - eg. shift-click the minimise (yellow) icon.... How cool is that!!!

Enjoy, Garg

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I always get a smile when someone rediscoveres the shift-minimize trick.

I remember when ol' Papa Steve demonstrated that hidden feature to wow the audience with the power of Quartz over three years ago back in January '00. Ah, good times. Good times.

Also, you'll find if you install TinkerTool, it has an interface for a lot of those options that otherwise require editing the plist by hand.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I think they missed one little hint: if you option-drag the Dock divider, it will resize in steps so that the icons will be displayed at even divisions of 128 pixels: 128, 96, 64, 48, 32, 24, 16. (The icon anti-aliasing looks less fuzzy at those sizes.)
  • Reply 3 of 7
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Shift-minimising: wooooooaaaaaaahh!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Shift-click minimising, yeah yeah fine when you have a fast machine but with my old B&W G3 there is no difference.

dobby.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    IMO....that shift-minimize is kind of stupid....I don't know why Apple made this
  • Reply 6 of 7
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

IMO....that shift-minimize is kind of stupid....I don't know why Apple made this

Probably for the sole purpose I mentioned above.

I guess since they didn't have any reason to pull it out (didn't cause bugs or anything) they left it in as a nice little easter egg.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

it is not like that is the reason why Mac OS X was postponed 2 or so times. I would imagine it would be a very simple thing to do...

It is not "stupid", just "unnecessary"...there is a difference