Other than PhotoShop, what else???

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Okay, I'm a photo student and am expecting PhotoShop 7 any day now. This question goes out to any Pro Photographers on this board. Other than PS what other programs should I consider for my mac. Anything not particularly obvious come in handy in your work in the pro photo world???

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

Okay, I'm a photo student and am expecting PhotoShop 7 any day now. This question goes out to any Pro Photographers on this board. Other than PS what other programs should I consider for my mac. Anything not particularly obvious come in handy in your work in the pro photo world???

knockout, painter...something that is really impressive...QuickMats
  • Reply 2 of 17
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Graphic Converter comes in pretty handy for a lot of stuff that isn't worth the time it takes to start Photoshop, pretty nice app too.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    tchwojkotchwojko Posts: 139member
    GIMP on X11 on the Mac?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    i work at a photography studio, and i was just listing some of the stuff we use to make some hella good looking stuff
  • Reply 5 of 17
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tchwojko

GIMP on X11 on the Mac?

Works great if you don't want to spend the cash on Photoshop, for a lot of people it has every thing you'd need. I like a few of the Script-Fu's for creating patterns for background design.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    At a student discount the entire Adobe Design collection isn't too much more. If you do your own promotional material, it can come in handy. Sometimes there's a back-to-school special that will include GoLive as well. You might need to post your work to the web when you're looking for work. Or if things go slow, you might be selling wedding photos/web packages
  • Reply 7 of 17
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    I wish TIFFany3 was still in development It was expensive but it was very nice and super fast and best of all it was Cocoa!
  • Reply 8 of 17
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Ever heard of N.I.H. ?

Seems very few have..( at least to my knowledge ).

It is a Mac only piece of software designed to do pretty much the same sorts of things that Photoshop does.

Of course it is not Photoshop..But a government provided programme for the scientific community, that also works for any one interested in digital images.

3 Things make it stand out as an imaging program.

( 1 ) It takes lots of Photoshop Plug-ins

( 2 ) Depending on the variant, it can be used on 68K FPU & 68K non FPU as well as all Power macs

& now they have an OS-X version...

Best of all......

( 3 ) IT IS FREE

http://rsb.info.nih.gov/nih-image/

• Reply 9 of 17
    golive, this is photography stuff, not web (or so i thought he was just talking about photo stuff) but GoLive sux, ok ok its an opinion, in comparison to DreamWeaver
  • Reply 10 of 17
    drumbug1drumbug1 Posts: 155member
    Quote:

& now they have an OS-X version...

http://rsb.info.nih.gov/nih-image/

[/B]

UH... not really....

Quote:

nih-image163_ppc.hqx (693K) is a version of the NIH Image that is compatible with Mac OS 9.2.2 and with the Classic environment of OS X 10.2

Unless I missed something (I hope I did... I would love to try a OSX version)
  • Reply 11 of 17
    i may have misread but...

taken from the FAQ's directly

Quote:

Is there an OS X version of NIH Image?

ImageJ , which is similar to NIH Image, runs natively on OS X

there is your native version (so to speak)
  • Reply 12 of 17
    drumbug1drumbug1 Posts: 155member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I must have missed that. Thanks.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    loganlogan Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

Try Macromedia Fireworks, its a great program like photoshop. plus its more web oriented.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

GOD BLESS AMERICA

NO ONE ELSE WOULD GIVE STUFF AS GOOD AS THIS FOR THE BENEFIT OF SOCIETY>>>>>
  • Reply 15 of 17
    i'm sorry maybe he wants this, but why are people giving advice on web oriented stuff...or why did the start to?

just wondering
  • Reply 16 of 17
    actions is definatly a must i'll agree

i'll look up some filters that we use, there is one that is great at color correcting picture that start out horribly...well its more useful to get the picture to something you an work with rather then do it for you