AGAIN: Could those rumors about new iPod docks be true?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
i Have to post this again since uninformed (not to say idiotic) user COS screwed up my previous post on this subject.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I read somwhere(can`t remember where, sorry) that Apple might release new iPod docks at WWDC, that will have wireless remote and some more add ons. That new dock should help iPods to take the central place for music in the house and replace the cd players (that`s what it said in the article) What do u think if this could be true? And should i wait till the WWDC(new ones have 2 much bugs for my taste and 499euros (that`s the price in my country for 15gb) is a lot of money) or should i buy the new one now?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    iPods will ship with the current dock for many many moons...if (and a big if) a new dock is availible in June, it will be an accessory item that you pay extra for...go ahead and buy an iPod now, it ain't changing anytime soon...

g
  • Reply 2 of 15
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    huh? Hello, isn't there another thread on this? IBM, In Before Merge, hehehehe... Tsk tsk, when you get into a cat-fight with other posters, do it in the same thread, this isn't AO, you know?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Actually I agree with him. The other thread is screwed to *ell because of this 'trojan horse' booting an x86 Panther from an iPod nonsense.

It would be my request that this thread stick to the DOCK and THAT thread be renamed 'x86 Panther with Target Disk boot from new iPod'.

Thx.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    I agree with thegelding. The iPods aren't going to get updated for a long time. I bet the bigger dock (if true) will just be an add on. But I'm not even sure I believe it. The current dock is good enough.

This is coming from me, an owner of the new 15 gig.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    hint: anyone open up their new iPod to see what all the wires on the new plug are for?

• Reply 6 of 15
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    if the current dock prices come down a iccle bit say to $19, I might buy an extra one or two. One to sit on my hi-fi, one by my mac, etc.

PS. I got my new iPod 4 hours ago, its still on charge and I am only handling it with pink silk gloves - so no, I havent taken it apart yet!
  • Reply 7 of 15
    snowysnowy Posts: 8member
    I didn't see anyone link to this "news" from today: macWhispers iPod dock article

I'd pay extra money to have my iPod dock into my stereo.

The bit about wireless makes sense if it's just syncing up through Rondezvous but using the iPod Dock to buy music seems *really* strange. Why would Apple build something that could do that when you're either going to have a PC or Mac that can.

Seems like a good way to increase the cost of the device to add almost no useful functionality.

-Joey
  • Reply 8 of 15
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    For the iPod to work as a trojan horse, it would have to have "Marklar" on it. Are you suggesting that Jaguar is not 64bit OSX, but rather the retail name of the long secreted Marklar? But then why would anyone need the iPod for that? any old HDD will do,a nd since people could just copy the OS onto their PC's, how would it stop M$ meddling? Not that M$ can meddle directly with competing OSes, they typically meddle through their OS with the products that run on it, or play with web standards. Someone should open up a new iPod to see if it's filled with little Hellenic warriors, man, that was some of the stupidist stuff I've ever read on AI, not that I read it the first time around, but since you mentioned it, I went there to waste some time, now I'm just returning ht favor, hehehe...

Docks?

Well, the Greeks were known around the mediterranean for their fleets...

OK oK, but seriously now.

Docks? Yes, another dock designed just for your home stero is probably a good idea. iDunno if Apple will do it, or a 3rd party, but the ports of the iPod are finally worked out in a way that makes it possible. USB2/FW400 will be around for a long time, and I don't imagine the iPod's form changing for quite some time. Mebbe wireless syncing, certainly a (wireless) remote for standalone use, line-out, meaty stereo friendly cables. Whatever it is, the iPod itself will not change.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    The dock could have an infrared port for a remote. That would help migrate the iPod to the stereo. Kind of a nead idea, if the remote has an LCD for browsing.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    RCA jacks? That's soooo 20th century.

Seriously, even cheap shelf systems now come with toslink if not digital coax.

Toslink would be my choice... no electrical conductor between my home theater system and the iPod. With a network connector, this become more critical. Currently, everything connected to my home theater is on one side of a massive power-conditioning / surge-protection unit.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    jingojingo Posts: 117member
    WEll I can see one thing the iPod should have - Bluetooth. Then you could have wireless headsets (maybe the same one you use for your cellphone), wireless connections to car hifis, home hifis etc etc. That would be worth a change in a shorter timeframe than everyone seems to expect, wouldn't it??
  • Reply 12 of 15
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jingo

WEll I can see one thing the iPod should have - Bluetooth. Then you could have wireless headsets (maybe the same one you use for your cellphone), wireless connections to car hifis, home hifis etc etc. That would be worth a change in a shorter timeframe than everyone seems to expect, wouldn't it??

Except... then you'll have batteries hanging off of your head simply to listen to music. (unless you're waiting for them to recharge)

Seems less convenient than the hassle of a cord. Wireless headphones have been around for decades. Would bluetooth make them more appealing?

I see some potential for a wireless iPod but not a wireless iPod dock. If you're going to plug the iPod in, why not just plug it in?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    jingojingo Posts: 117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Except... then you'll have batteries hanging off of your head simply to listen to music. (unless you're waiting for them to recharge)

Seems less convenient than the hassle of a cord. Wireless headphones have been around for decades. Would bluetooth make them more appealing?

I see some potential for a wireless iPod but not a wireless iPod dock. If you're going to plug the iPod in, why not just plug it in?

There's a few answers to this, but one simple one is the attractive ability to link the headset to multiple devices, all of which you can keep in your backpack. And in general people do like the idea of not having to have their headsets linked by a cord to the device they're using them with.

The advantage of bluetooth is that it is much lower power, better quality, more flexible in terms of the devices it can be linked to, and more compact in implementation than traditional wireless headsets. Get with the game, man!!

And clearly there's no benefit to a wireless dock. That's not what I was suggesting.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    @Matstu - i didn`t hv a fight witht that guy, other pple did since he`s ideas were crazy!

The only thing i would like iPod to hv (beside longer battery life) is wireless remote, since with w/less remote iPod would be PERFECT (if u forget about song skipping, ticks between songs... )
  • Reply 15 of 15
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

RCA jacks? That's soooo 20th century.

Seriously, even cheap shelf systems now come with toslink if not digital coax.

Olde-fashioned RCA jacks, however, would keep lawyers for the RIAA happier, or at least make them foam at the mouth less than Toslink. (The RIAA won't be totally happy until they figure out how to get people to buy music that they're never allowed to listen to.)