Which distributed project?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
As an avid follower (and past or current participant) of numerous distributed projects on the net, I would like to know which projects you participate in and why. The projects you list can include those without a Mac client. If you don't participate, why not? Finally, which projects would you like to see a Mac client for?

To answer my own questions first. I particpate in ECMNET where your computer attempts to factor large numbers. On the PC side, I use PFGW (no Mac client :-(), I participate in a number of projects to search for large prime numbers, large meaning over 40,000 decimal digits.

I did participate in one time in the RC5 project (the 64-bit one), but I have ignored the 72-bit version because I estimate that even with doubling of resources every 18 months, that it is likely to take more than 20 years to crack.

I haven't participated in GIMPS, mainly because if its popularity.

I no longer particpate in SETI because they already have more than twice the resources they need to process the data they have collected. I also ignore it because their search parameters are extremely narrow and make many assumptions about extraterrestial life. It is truly a search for a needle in a haystack. Unfortunately that haystack is the size of planet earth and that needle is the size of a mustard seed.

As for Mac specific clients, I would love to see a Mac client of PFGW. It is open source (with lots of x86 assembler), but I don't have the programming skill to incorporate an FFT into it. I do look forward to the PPC970 (assuming the rumors are true), because with the projects I pariticpate in 64 bit integers would be extremely useful. Mlucas and Glucas should see significant improvements on it, they could possibly be faster than 3 Ghz P-IV's prime95.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    SETI

because if my machine 'detects' the verified result, I get a piece of the credit

and more importantly, a positive SETI result will change history

Distributed.net

ran a few cycles of RC5 on lab machines a few years ago, not much since

considering Folding@Home or other "noble causes" for spare CPU cycles
  • Reply 2 of 3
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    if we are going to make contact, chances are we will hear about it rather then having to search for it...

with that said, I think folding@home is the best bet, but its a pain in the ass to setup (meaning i haven't looked into it )
  • Reply 3 of 3
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rogue master

As for Mac specific clients, I would love to see a Mac client of PFGW. It is open source (with lots of x86 assembler), but I don't have the programming skill to incorporate an FFT into it. I do look forward to the PPC970 (assuming the rumors are true), because with the projects I pariticpate in 64 bit integers would be extremely useful. Mlucas and Glucas should see significant improvements on it, they could possibly be faster than 3 Ghz P-IV's prime95.

All it needs is an FFT? Hell, you could do that in Altivec assembler. It would fly. Even a 1GHz mac running altivec on Altivec enhanced software rips a 3 Ghz p4 a new asshole.