Whatcha Reading???

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have a passion for books. I even ran a bookstore for a short time. I currently have Dune: the Butlerian Jihad waiting for me on my coffee table and after that I should be reading Pimp: the story of my life by Iceberg Slim. The movie should be out soon, starring Ice Cube.

What are you reading??? What's your fav book???

My favorite is a tie between House of Leaves and Watership Down.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Right now I am reading "The Manhattern Hunt Club" by John Saul. His book "Creature" was pretty good.
  • Reply 2 of 45
    Reading "Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh"
  • Reply 3 of 45
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Quote:

Reading "Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh"

Excellent choice, I read it a few years back and then gave it to my little sister.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    Current reading: The Heterodoxy Handbook - How to Survive the PC Campus (Essays and Observations on the Folly of Political Correctness) edited by David Horowitz and Peter Collier

Next up: The closing of the American Mind by Allan Bloom

After that, something lighter, a lot lighter Maybe the Harry Potter series, I haven't read those yet.

Favorite book: Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
  • Reply 5 of 45
    rick1138rick1138 Posts: 938member
    Lie Algebras in Particle Physics by Howard Georgi
  • Reply 6 of 45
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Just finished The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. Very entertaining cloak-and-dagger mystery with a religious twist. I do wonder, however, a bit how accurate some of his background details regarding history and art are, given that when he tried to add some astronomical details -- something I know a whole lot more about than Renaissance painters and old cathedrals -- he messed up in ways a little simple fact checking could have fixed.

Still, interesting puzzles, interesting philosophical ideas, and a good effort in creating sympathetic characterization of the various opposing players in the intrigue.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    I just finished Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six last night.
  • Reply 8 of 45
    I'm part way through Margaret Wise Brown's fatalistic epic, Goodnight Moon. Marvelous so far.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    The Rum Diary by Hunter S. Thompson.
  • Reply 10 of 45
    enaena Posts: 667member
    Captain Sir Richard Francis Burton

(no, not the movie star)
  • Reply 11 of 45
    ariari Posts: 126member
    The Collector by John Fowles.
  • Reply 12 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

I'm part way through Margaret Wise Brown's fatalistic epic, Goodnight Moon. Marvelous so far.

oh jesus i'm going to have an aneurism from laughing over here
  • Reply 13 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

remember the simpson's episode with christopher walken reading "goodnight moon"?

"children you're not scooching!"

i'm just finished reading "what einstein told his cook" (kitchen science explained) by robert l. wolke. it was excellent. his writing reminds me of david poque's "missing manuals" he takes a tedious subject matter into something fun to read.

now i'm reading "american colonies" by alan taylor, which so far has been like brushing my teeth.
  • Reply 14 of 45
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    just finished Alfred Bester's 1956 classic SF/Cyberpunk "The Stars my Destination" ("Tiger Tiger" in the UK)

favourite books?

impossible to limit it to less than ten (which change)

how about just a few suitable for summer sun...

Fiction:

Stranger in a Strange Land - R.A.Heinlein

Dune - Frank Herbert

A Wild Sheep Chase - Haruki Murakami

LoTR - J.R.R. Tolkein

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Robert Pirsig

Non-Fiction:

Natural History of the Senses/Love

Guns Germs and Steel - Jared Diamond

Uriel's Machine

The Holographic Paradigm (essays)

next up:

The Cambridge Quintet - John Casti

The Code Book (Cryptography) -Simon Singh
  • Reply 15 of 45
    paulppaulp Posts: 67member
    Recently finished Evolution by Stephen Baxter - inspired stuff.

(Stephen Baxter is an English author and thought of as the natural successor to Arthur C. Clarke)
  • Reply 16 of 45
    naderfannaderfan Posts: 156member
    Currently reading The Idiot by Dostoyevsky, probably the fastest moving Russian novel I've read so far.
  • Reply 17 of 45
    Okay, finished Rats of Nimh at lunch today. I am starting Salamandastron (Brian Jacques) before bed tonight.
  • Reply 18 of 45
    Ham on Rye - Charles Bukowski
  • Reply 19 of 45
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I can't believe it, but I'm actually currently reading a book... "The Worst Team Money Could Buy" by John Harper and Bob Klapisch. I figured it was a good time to read it since the Mets are horrible with a pwyroll of $120 million, so I wanted to see exactly why the 1992 Mets were so bad.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    retrograderetrograde Posts: 503member
    Ok, call me an old bore but I have just been reading Charles Taylor's Sources of the Self this evening and I have to say I have been enjoying it!

But everyone interested in reading ought to check the link below out: The Hundred Most Influential Books Since the War.

I found this "cut and paste" after doing a quick search because I have had a photocopy of this article kicking around my office ever since it appeared in the TLS on October 6, 1995.

Has anyone read all 100?