Wwdc

Comments

• Reply 101 of 770
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kurt

That would have at least let us know he did without disclosing anything.

Good point Kurt So moki, you're sure you haven't a 970-box lying hidden in a closet somewhere ??
  • Reply 102 of 770
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

Good point Kurt So moki, you're sure you haven't a 970-box lying hidden in a closet somewhere ??

he said it months ago and a couple of days again: he doesn't have one.

no prototype, nothing.

you could ask him whether he has a beta copy of panther and there is something 64bitted in the code, (or something like that) but that will probally be under nda. so he won't tell you or say he can't tell you.
  • Reply 103 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

he said it months ago and a couple of days again: he doesn't have one.

no prototype, nothing.

you could ask him whether he has a beta copy of panther and there is something 64bitted in the code, (or something like that) but that will probally be under nda. so he won't tell you or say he can't tell you.

Oh come on man, I was only joking!
  • Reply 104 of 770
    - Apple will introduce the 970 this year. This is (almost) certain.

- So the next major revision of OSX will support the 970 and its 64-Bit instructions. So Panther has to be ready for the 970.

- The first ones that need know about a new architecture are the developers. What better place is there to brief them than a developer's conference?

So I expect a preview of 970 machines. Anything else would really surprise me.

Once the new architecture is introduced, PowerMac sales will drop to zero because everyone wants a 970. So they will start to ship them 1 or 2 months after the WWDC.

If a 15" AlBook has the 970 they will start to ship it with the new Powermacs. They will update the 17" shortly after.

If the 15" AlBook is not 970-ready I think they won't introduce it at the WWDC. The 970 would steal a lot of thunder and make it look outdated. They will have to introduce it shortly afterwards then, since they missed the opportunity to introduce it before the WWDC.
  • Reply 105 of 770
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Power Mac sales are only being sold to Mac users who need to run Macs because of software and 3rd party hardware investment, and need a Mac now. If the 970 was announced to be available in 2 months tomorrow, I wouldn't expect sales of the current Power Macs to drop off for at least a month. It's really that bad.

Barto
  • Reply 106 of 770
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Apfelsaft

- The first ones that need know about a new architecture are the developers. What better place is there to brief them than a developer's conference?

So I expect a preview of 970 machines. Anything else would really surprise me.

I remember when Apple announced the PowerMac G4 at Seybold. That same year they let developers know of new hardware technology but did not flat out say "we have a new PowerMac coming out this year and it is a G4..."

I think the same will happen with this WWDC, talk about 64 Bit and some of the other advantages of the 970 but not actually saying "yup we are announcing a 970 sometime this year"

I mean yeah it is a tough call if it will be announced or not but I guess I am just trying to keep my hopes down.
  • Reply 107 of 770
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

Oh come on man, I was only joking!

i know that

and i was not

Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

I remember when Apple announced the PowerMac G4 at Seybold. That same year they let developers know of new hardware technology but did not flat out say "we have a new PowerMac coming out this year and it is a G4..."

I think the same will happen with this WWDC, talk about 64 Bit and some of the other advantages of the 970 but not actually saying "yup we are announcing a 970 sometime this year"

always expect apple to do these things different, or slightly different than the occasion before.

last time they announced a new processor (the altivec thing), nobody was prepared for it, no altivec enhancement at all. so even photoshop was not G4 ready iirc. so the advantages of altivec where nihilated by the absence of suited software. this time it will be different. when they release the ppc 970 it will run 32bit apps and it's altivec enhancement without any problem. the only questions are:

will the next gen powermacs be released at wwdc?

will they be available per direct or do we have to wait for two months... ?
  • Reply 108 of 770
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Apfelsaft

- Apple will introduce the 970 this year. This is (almost) certain.

- So the next major revision of OSX will support the 970 and its 64-Bit instructions. So Panther has to be ready for the 970.

I agree with this part of Apfelsaft's post. I see no problem with keeping the prototyping in Cupertino and announcing at WWDC. If the 970 can run 32-bit okay, then use the conference as a springboard and generate the momentum for developers to help build the bandwagon that they will jump on later.
  • Reply 109 of 770
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    "developers aren't stupid"

Intelligence is only a thin shield against stupidity, often pierced from the INside.

• Reply 110 of 770
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jccbin

Intelligence is only a thin shield against stupidity, often pierced from the inside.

Heh. I like that one, did you come up with it or where'd you get it from? I'd like to use it.
  • Reply 111 of 770
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    I have first-hand experience bursting that shield from the inside :-)

It just came to me as I was typing. Please use it as you wish.
  • Reply 112 of 770
    mokimoki Posts: 551member
    Quote:

Originally posted by little mouse

whats going to happen at WWDC?

I predict lots of developers will sit through lots of sessions on various programming topics. No, I guarantee it.
  • Reply 113 of 770
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by moki

I predict lots of developers will sit through lots of sessions on various programming topics. No, I guarantee it.

CONFIRMED: there will be developers at WWDC

....straight from the horse's mouth.

kroehl
  • Reply 114 of 770

May 19 1943, Churchill and FDR plot D-Day

On this day in 1943, British Prime Minister Winston Churchill and U.S. President Franklin Roosevelt set a date for the cross-Channel landing that would become D-Day-May 1, 1944. That date will prove a bit premature, as bad weather becomes a factor.

Addressing a joint session of Congress, Churchill warned that the real danger at present was the "dragging-out of the war at enormous expense" because of the risk that the Allies would become "tired or bored or split"-and play into the hands of Germany and Japan. He pushed for an early and massive attack on the "underbelly of the Axis." And so, to "speed" things up, the British prime minister and President Roosevelt set a date for a cross-Channel invasion of Normandy, in northern France, for May 1, 1944, regardless of the problems presented by the invasion of Italy, which was underway. It would be carried out by 29 divisions, including a Free French division, if possible.
  • Reply 115 of 770
    mokimoki Posts: 551member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kurt

I would think the likes of Adobe and Microsoft would get them but I joked recently on these boards that Moki had one and he said he didn't. His company seems like a mid-sized developer and may not get one early on.

Well, if we DID, I couldn't tell you anyway... but we don't have a seed machine, and we are probably in the "small" category of developers anyway.

I haven't heard of ANYONE being seeded a machine outside of Apple actually.
  • Reply 116 of 770
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by moki

I haven't heard of ANYONE being seeded a machine outside of Apple actually.

That probably just means that Apple has successfully narrowed the seed program down to (teams within) corporations that they know they can rely on to keep a secret.

If Apple's already contracting motherboard production and mailing CPUs to Taiwan, there have to have been test mules out and about. It's just that the Fear of Jobs has been instilled into the testers.
  • Reply 117 of 770
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    Adobe's got them

-tink
  • Reply 118 of 770
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    Good, maybe they'll optimize After Effects to make up for that sleazy Orphange / Dell Ad

Hell, maybe they optimze ANY of their apps for OSX.
  • Reply 119 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

That probably just means that Apple has successfully narrowed the seed program down to (teams within) corporations that they know they can rely on to keep a secret.

I recon that companies that are used to getting pre-release machines have good routines to hinder information from being leaked to the outside world. The big boys like Adobe and Macromedia have probably received pre-release machines for years and have a fairly good track record when it comes to leaks. Therefore Apple can seed them boxes and know that they'll be fairly safe. But I have to admire the boys that know, especially if they are mac-fans, for keeping the secrets from "leaking" out. People with access to these pre-release machines are probably only people that HAS to know. I dont see these boxes floating around Adobe's or Macromedia's offices.

Apple will most likely also narrow the list down substantially with more "important" products, like the new 970 MowerMac, by just seeding it to the most important developers. These companies is benefitting from having access to unreleased products, and I don't think they're willing to jeopardize this just for our amusement. Quote:

If Apple's already contracting motherboard production and mailing CPUs to Taiwan, there have to have been test mules out and about. It's just that the Fear of Jobs has been instilled into the testers.

And the fear of loosing their jobs. I don't think these companies would look with kind eyes on employees leaking information about future Apple products. No, we're probably going to have to live with the fact that "real" rumors are an endagered species in the mac world.
  • Reply 120 of 770
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    The boxes floating around Adobe are not floating at all and are in a separate locked room and on a separate secure floor that very few people have access to.

From what I have heard no-ones talking about how they perform or what exactly they are. Someone did slip that they were the "G5's" . That person did not have access to them though.

-tink