iMac G4 1Ghz slow while browsing...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hello,

my iMac G4 1Ghz seems very slow while browsing different websites. I use Safari, but it feels the same with ie and camino. On my PC the websites scroll very smoothly but on my Mac is is very sluggish...How can this be? Is there a benchmark-program where i can compare my system with others?

Thanks,

Regards,

Peter

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    How much ram do you have?
  • Reply 2 of 22
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    You mention scrolling specifically... is *this* what feels slow, or the overall speed?
  • Reply 3 of 22
    equinoxequinox Posts: 43member
    I have 768 MB RAM. I think that should be enough... The overall performance "feels" slower than my PC, but the scrolling of some (not all) Sites seems kind of slow...

I ask myself if this is normal or if there a problem with my iMac...

Regards,

Peter
  • Reply 4 of 22
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    Not had a problem since safari on my imac 800.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    if you look at http://www.paderkino.de/ and try to scroll in safari you will notice the sluggish behaviour. other browsers don't show this behaviour. very strange because safari is somehow faster on other sites...

Regards,

Peter
  • Reply 6 of 22
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    That page is not a problem with Safari on my iBook 700 with 640 Megs of RAM.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by equinox

if you look at http://www.paderkino.de/ and try to scroll in safari you will notice the sluggish behaviour.

Yes, scrolling in Safari is sluggish on that page (probably because of the large table), but normally Safari is a better "scroller" than the other browsers.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

That page is not a problem with Safari on my iBook 700 with 640 Megs of RAM.

works great for me too, and I only have 384
  • Reply 9 of 22
    cygsidcygsid Posts: 210member
    equinox, browser scrolling has been known to be much slower on Mac OS X than on Windows for what seems like forever now, and has only slightly improved with Safari. It's also much smoother in Mac OS 9, which shows that it's not a hardware problem.

This is partly due to the way MS has specifically made scrolling smooth in IE for Windows. I wish there was a similar feature under Mac OS X.

Most of the browser scrolling slowness though can safely be attributed to the overall infamous GUI sluggishness in OS X that's been with us ever since March 2001. I seriously hope Apple addresses it once and for all with Panther, but somehow I doubt it and wonder if it's not just a price we pay to the overly powerful graphics engine that is Quartz. It'll be interesting to see how Longhorn (Windows 2005) addresses this problem, now that it's also moving to a fully-composited graphics engine. Maybe by then most machines on the market will be so powerful it won't matter.

Thankfully Safari has at least made browsing much faster than it used to be in OS X, in fact almost comparable to Windows, so we're already half way there.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    this is exactly what i mean. If you compare www.paderkino.de with www.heise.de e.g. concerning scrolling smothness you must notice the diference! I can't think that this is only my problem, but it must be a OS X problem...!? It makes me wonder that some of you say that it is smooth. Compare these two sites and tell me if the behave the same...

Thanks,

Peter
  • Reply 11 of 22
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    This looks to be a bug with how Safari handles framesets.

Yes, scrolling in the frame in that link is terrible. However, control click in it and say "Open Frame in New Window" and you'll see that is scrolls MUCH better.

I would suggest sending feedback to Apple (via the Bug button, perhaps) and be sure to mention what I've said about the scrolling improving when the frame is by itself.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

if you look at http://www.paderkino.de/ and try to scroll in safari you will notice the sluggish behaviour. other browsers don't show this behaviour. very strange because safari is somehow faster on other sites...

Regards,

Peter

No sluggishness on my iBook700.

dunno.

• Reply 13 of 22
    How can this be? Some say yes some say no?

Peter
  • Reply 14 of 22
    niconononiconono Posts: 27member
    Tried on my iBook 500/384, and it's a pain just as every scrolling with os X.

Incredible in 2003!
  • Reply 15 of 22
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

How can this be? Some say yes some say no?

My guess is that some people are so used to sluggish scrolling in Mac OS X that relatively it doesn't seem slow.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Might also be a semantic difference. The link frame isn't slow at scrolling for me as much as it seems "jerky" -- not smooth. Also using a scrollwheel makes it seem smoother/faster than actually using the scrolbar for me. the page seems fast enough, on the other hand, some of my finder windows are s l o w to scroll.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    grimsongrimson Posts: 108member
    Seemed smooth to me; 600 mhz iMac.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Because it's using a crap, antiquated 1 gig G4 on a slow bus running on a half finished modern OS.

Buy a cheap Athlon Box and see how an ugly fisher price interface whizzes along with IE.

Lemon Bon Bon 8)
  • Reply 19 of 22
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

Because it's using a crap, antiquated 1 gig G4 on a slow bus running on a half finished modern OS.

Buy a cheap Athlon Box and see how an ugly fisher price interface whizzes along with IE.

Hear hear!

KANE
  • Reply 20 of 22
    cybermonkeycybermonkey Posts: 604member
    does it just do it web browsers or on your system as a whole? for example word processors etc. more than likely a problem with accelerated video. or your getting sever lag