son of XP - Windows is for sissies

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Microsoft Offers Peek Into Newest Windows

(from yahoo news)

Although Windows XP, the most current version of Windows, is just 20 months old, the world's largest software maker is betting that users will be ready to upgrade within the next couple of years as personal computers become more powerful, faster and affordable.

Details about the new operating system remain scant, but Microsoft has already started soliciting feedback from hardware makers and software developers on key features of Longhorn, such as its graphics and security capabilities.

The challenge for Microsoft is to ensure that Windows, the software that runs on nearly all of the world's personal computers, will show enough of an improvement to convince users to upgrade, while fending off growing competition from Linux (news - web sites), the free operating system.

Although Microsoft previewed some of Longhorn's features at a hardware engineering conference last week, the software giant is holding its cards close to the chest.

"Microsoft is pleased with the progress to date on the development of the next version of Windows, code-named Longhorn," said Greg Sullivan, lead product manager for Windows, but added that "it's important to realize the product is still under development and evolving each day. As a result, it's too early to talk about specifics for the final version."

Still, technophiles eager to get their hands on this nascent version of Windows have already circulated "alpha," or early working versions, on the Internet and are buzzing over some of Longhorn's newest features.

NEW PLUMBING

Much of Longhorn's most significant improvements will be in its basic design and inner workings.

Microsoft is also developing a new security technology, code-named Palladium, which is widely expected to be a part of Longhorn.

Palladium will allow Microsoft to secure information passing through software and, more significantly, hardware.

For example, Microsoft could encrypt keyboard strokes passing through the cable connecting the keyboard and the PC, making it difficult to find out a secret password or eavesdrop on sensitive information.

Since Palladium also makes it easier for Microsoft to track users and locate illegal copies of its software, some consumer groups and Microsoft's competitors have voiced alarm over giving the Redmond, Washington-based software maker too much control.

A new file system allowing the operating system to store data more efficiently will also be a core part of Longhorn's design, Microsoft has said.

That system, based on database technology, is aimed at facilitating storage of different types of files, which are automatically categorized, and also making it easier to manage files without using folders.

The new file system will also make it easier to store and retrieve data in different locations, such as on a server or another computer in a different location.

NEW LOOK

The most dramatic change for most users, however, will be in the design of the Windows desktop.

Recent demonstrations by Microsoft hint the software maker is aiming to make Windows behave more like, well, Windows.

The individual windows in Longhorn will be semi-translucent, making it possible to discern the contents of one window hidden behind another.

The trick is in the degree of opacity -- completely transparent windows atop one another would turn information into a jumble of letters and graphics, while more opaque ones might defeat their own purpose.

The operating system's windows would ripple when moved and shrink or expand their content automatically, effects that require a significant amount of graphics power, the kind usually reserved for high-action 3D games.

What this means is that the new software will most likely require new hardware or upgrades to work well. PC Makers welcome the opportunity to make new sales, but users are becoming increasingly reluctant to buy new hardware to go along with software every few years.

"Longhorn sort of continues Microsoft's insistence and belief that the desktop personal computer is best served by a fully high-powered device," said Dwight Davis, a strategist at Summit Strategies.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    This has what exactly to do with Mac OS X?

And, uh, what's your take on it?

Quote:

- Threads with no original content will not be allowed. Example: posting a link or quoting and article while contributing little to nothing of your own.

Off to General Discussion with ye!! *cracks bullwhip*
  • Reply 2 of 30
    sorry about posting in the wrong area Brad, as well as not posting any original content on the matter. Your whip smarts.

It's late and I saw this article and thought it was interesting. Here's my take.

I've pretty much only used macs since 5th grade, as my elementary school system decided they needed to have computers in the schools so that the children would not fall behind the Japanese in terms of technical proficiency. So we were outfitted with a "computer lab" i.e. 4 Apple IIc computers with a couple games on them. I only used them to play some renob games and hit on the hot 4th graders. My parents got an Atari 500xl at one point, but i never did anything but make colored blocks using basic (using the basic catridge) on it. This is basically the same thing most adults do on their Wintels now. All I know of windows is that everyone uses it, but because they want to do what everyone else does. They're all like a bunch of 60 year olds who are stuck in their ways and afraid of all change (except changing their 'depends').

We talk of people who have yet to make the leap from OS8-9 to OSX with angst and derision. Classic really will work fine for designers and print pub. - even with Quark 5 - so what's the holdup? I haven't looked back since installing 10.1. But everyone's still getting the job done.

This seems silly when I see people all over using windows XP, windows NT, windows 2000, windows 98, and people like my parents, who until I finally convinced to go Mac this Xmas, were still using windows 95. Who's more f'd up with people getting on board with a new OS?

I don't think windows users want another version of windows. I think they're totally confused. They're the same people who get new versions of AOL in the mail and cry because they still haven't figured out how to open the cd tray on their computers.

I'm sure this post is dum, but whatever.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    fotnsfotns Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by son of Gib

I don't think windows users want another version of windows. I think they're totally confused.

I think you're wrong. The average user will want whatever is newest and the coolest looking. The more advanced user will look forward to WinFS replacing NTFS, which was a great improvement over FAT32.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    xmogerxmoger Posts: 242member
    Quote:

We talk of people who have yet to make the leap from OS8-9 to OSX with angst and derision. Classic really will work fine for designers and print pub. - even with Quark 5 - so what's the holdup? I haven't looked back since installing 10.1. But everyone's still getting the job done.

This seems silly when I see people all over using windows XP, windows NT, windows 2000, windows 98, and people like my parents, who until I finally convinced to go Mac this Xmas, were still using windows 95. Who's more f'd up with people getting on board with a new OS?

Almost all applications work on 98, ME, 2K, XP. A lot of them work on win95 too. And the OSs will be supported for ~5 years. So there is little necessity to upgrade often for casual users. When apps are written for the mac, they must choose between OS9 & X, maybe even between which min version of X to support. So upgrading is more important.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    this is my favourite part

Quote:

Microsoft Offers Peek Into Newest Windows

(from yahoo news)

<snip>

Recent demonstrations by Microsoft hint the software maker is aiming to make Windows behave more like, well, Windows.

The individual windows in Longhorn will be semi-translucent, making it possible to discern the contents of one window hidden behind another.

The trick is in the degree of opacity -- completely transparent windows atop one another would turn information into a jumble of letters and graphics, while more opaque ones might defeat their own purpose.

The operating system's windows would ripple when moved and shrink or expand their content automatically, effects that require a significant amount of graphics power, the kind usually reserved for high-action 3D games.

sounds more like make Windows behave like Quartz Extreme on Jaguar

always with the innovation, those Redmond folks
  • Reply 6 of 30
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Yuck, full-time transparency? I'm all for some eye candy...my Terminal windows are 80% transparent, but every window would suck. I hate clutter, and transparency increases visual clutter.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    "The average user will want whatever is newest and the coolest looking."

This is so NOT what the average user wants.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

"The average user will want whatever is newest and the coolest looking."

This is so NOT what the average user wants.

It's what the average user thinks they want, though.

Amorya
  • Reply 9 of 30
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spart

Yuck, full-time transparency? I'm all for some eye candy...my Terminal windows are 80% transparent, but every window would suck. I hate clutter, and transparency increases visual clutter.

but it's Windows, get it?

creativity in action
  • Reply 10 of 30
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    They're even starting to use Pinstripes! Do they have no shame!?

Click MSs innovative UI Design.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spart

I remember there being an easter egg (hack) where you could set the windows of cocoa apps to have a certain level of transparency. I tried a low level of transparency on Chimera and it was pretty unbearable (for me at least.)

My terminal windows are 31% transparent; and having multiple windows open isn't a problem (sometimes it's a blessing.)

I guess it depends on the level of transparency and the level of content in said transparent window.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

this is my favourite part

. . .

sounds more like make Windows behave like Quartz Extreme on Jaguar

always with the innovation, those Redmond folks

Typical Microsoft design strategy: Take what Apple has done and exhibit no restraint, then realize the annoyance and include multiple levels of control ond coustomization that awkwardly span across several layers of the functional OS.

Typical design by committee stuff.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    What I don't get is how with billions of dollars Windows still sucks so much??? I mean we like to say how stupid M$ programmers are, but I mean come on? Sure Macs used to be better but I'm really surprised it took this long, until XP, just to get Windows not to crash regulary (though it still does.) I just find it funny sometimes, that Macs are still better.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    eskimoeskimo Posts: 474member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FotNS

I think you're wrong. The average user will want whatever is newest and the coolest looking. The more advanced user will look forward to WinFS replacing NTFS, which was a great improvement over FAT32.

Except WinFS is not a replacement for NTFS, rather it is simply an extension of it. NTFS will be the default file system for Longhorn.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    xmogerxmoger Posts: 242member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

What I don't get is how with billions of dollars Windows still sucks so much??? I mean we like to say how stupid M$ programmers are, but I mean come on? Sure Macs used to be better but I'm really surprised it took this long, until XP, just to get Windows not to crash regulary (though it still does.) I just find it funny sometimes, that Macs are still better.

First, a robust OS isn't easy to create. Apple tried for years to write their own, then bought Next.

Second, MS caters more to the biggest customer than an 'ideal' customer. Writing products that are 'good-enough' are the ones that are successful. In the '90's people were clamoring for ease of use. Then stability, and now security. If Microsoft had designed win95 to be as secure, stable, and feature laden as they're making Longhorn, it would've been nice but sales increase would be neglible. That also means longer development time and breathing room for OS/2, Macintosh, Amiga, etc.

Third, They also don't have any competition on the desktop. Linux is a threat in some situations. However if Lindows or macs get popular in the home or office, we can expect 'real' OS development.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    jimdadjimdad Posts: 209member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xmoger

Almost all applications work on 98, ME, 2K, XP. A lot of them work on win95 too. And the OSs will be supported for ~5 years. So there is little necessity to upgrade often for casual users. When apps are written for the mac, they must choose between OS9 & X, maybe even between which min version of X to support. So upgrading is more important.

Not sure if I've understood you properly but the biggest problem in our school over the last two years has been the fact that various versions of windows will not run older software. When Windows 2000 machines were installed they wouldn't run some software I'd bought just four months before. XP, which we're just starting to get seems to be a slight improvement but just today I heard one of the depts moaning about some admin package not working properly since one of their rooms went over to XP.

On the other hand I've got a brand new iMac which can run the original "Monkey island" game. Now when was that ...........?
  • Reply 17 of 30
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimdad

Not sure if I've understood you properly but the biggest problem in our school over the last two years has been the fact that various versions of windows will not run older software. When Windows 2000 machines were installed they wouldn't run some software I'd bought just four months before. XP, which we're just starting to get seems to be a slight improvement but just today I heard one of the depts moaning about some admin package not working properly since one of their rooms went over to XP.

On the other hand I've got a brand new iMac which can run the original "Monkey island" game. Now when was that ...........?

I have to agree with jimdad on this one. Many programs that ran on windows 95 would not run on 2000 and still don't run on XP. Many programs that ran on 2000 run well on XP and some don't. Some programs ran "great" on 95, were broken by 2000, and is now working again on XP. There are many reasons for this, one being that 95 and 2000 are completely different operating systems altogeter. XP has introduced a compatability mode that let many programs designed for 95/98 run on XP, something that was a big problem with 2000.

when Apple decides what to support, when they release a new version of os X, they have to take many thing into account.

- Really old / unimportant programs that almost no-one uses are cut out of the game completely, meaning Apple won't even check if the programs work or not.

- Programs not so old an used by a few people are checked for compatability, trying to iron out some bugs, but they won't be supported if they require major rewrites of code / major bug-tracking to work.

- Current software / really important software will Apple make some effort not to break by possibly co-working with the developer to patch the program if it breaks some new capabilites in the os.

You can't expect os developers to support every little piece of software out there from 1984 to now, and they have to draw the line somewhere when it comes to supporting hardware too. With new versions of os X we will be offered new funtionality, a more advanced GUI, and while Apple can optimize them quite a lot, they will need increasingly powerful gfx and processors to work the way they were meant to. If Apple should support every G3 way back, they have to make trade-offs. I know for sure that at least I will gladly buy new hardware at least every 2-3 years to have access to the coolest os in the world. If Apple were to make os X run speedily on an original iMac, they can not add much more eye-candy. On newer macs this is no problem because QE, and possibly QE2 with panther, is taking much of the extra heat of the processor. And when Apple finally introduces the 970 they'd better have some cool new ultra smooth effects to show off. And hopefully we'll see some commercials soon starring panther. It will probably deserve it! Was I making any sense? Oh well.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eskimo

Except WinFS is not a replacement for NTFS, rather it is simply an extension of it. NTFS will be the default file system for Longhorn.

No, WinFS will be a replacement for NTFS. PCWorld states that WinFS replaces the NTFS and FAT32 file systems used in current Windows versions.

Users Get a Second Sneak Peek at Longhorn
  • Reply 19 of 30
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FotNS

No, WinFS will be a replacement for NTFS. PCWorld states that WinFS replaces the NTFS and FAT32 file systems used in current Windows versions.

Users Get a Second Sneak Peek at Longhorn

From Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows:

Quote:

NTFS will be the only supported file system in Longhorn, from a setup and deployment standpoint, though the OS will, of course, continue to support legacy file systems like FAT and FAT32 for dual-boot and upgrade purposes. The oft-misunderstood Windows Future Storage (WinFS), which will include technology from the "Yukon" release of SQL Server, is not a file system, Mark Myers told me. Instead, WinFS is a service that runs on top of--and requires--NTFS. "WinFS sits on top of NTFS," he said. "It sits on top of the file system. NTFS will be a requirement."

• Reply 20 of 30
    I see.