mosr: Panther - SPEED 'DAEMON' (future/older hardware)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
It is projected that Panther will run faster on all hardware, originally made with OS X in mind, as it has been greatly optimized with the most recent build.

Reports are saying that tests from the original iMac to the very latest Dual's, show increased speed amung any given place in the O.S.

What does this mean for the supposedly 4x faster PPC 970? Anyone know anything about any of this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    jobesjobes Posts: 106member
    i don't normally get into the whole thing of dissing articles on rumour boards, but i've just read that MOSR piece, and it stinks.

really.

i take everything i read on mac rumour sites with a pinch of salt, but their vague positings about the 970 and panther are more riddled with ignorant supposition and wilful bullsh1tting than most i have read.

anyway, grrr ...annoying article.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    madmax559madmax559 Posts: 596member
    in a nutshell ....panther will run extremely quickly

on g4 & newer hardware ....

so quick infact that users will be logged out before

they even finish logging in...

so all macs will be equipped with a little lever that

acts as a throttle so you can control the speed of the os

pete
  • Reply 3 of 41
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

What does this mean for the supposedly 4x faster PPC 970? Anyone know anything about any of this?

Feel free to check one of the 5 million 970 based threads in FW
  • Reply 4 of 41
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    its not actually the OS that is making the speeds greater, but the fact apple has decided to add a turbo light to their new macs
  • Reply 5 of 41
    madmax559madmax559 Posts: 596member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

its not actually the OS that is making the speeds greater, but the fact apple has decided to add a turbo light to their new macs

i thought they were also adding on "Type R" racing

stickers & spoilers ...
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by madmax559

i thought they were also adding on "Type R" racing

stickers & spoilers ...

heh, i'm sure that too
  • Reply 7 of 41
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

LOL, what on earth did those TURBO buttons do, anyways? I remember using a wintel at work in the mid 90s and playing with the TURBO button....I even cracked open the case once to see if it was actually connected to anything.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,457member
    I could have sworn that the turbos went in for the MDD models -- I can hear mine spooling up every time I reboot! I think the new 970s will be more along the lines of a "there ain't no replacement for displacement" V8. Hopefully the muffler isn't optional this time.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    willywalloowillywalloo Posts: 408member
    aah the turbo lights, what did they do? didn't they double the mhz of the system in the DOS days or something...it was only about a 5mhz increase and then your games went REALLY REALLY FAST.

hey, BACK TO OS X...

In my mind it makes a little sense, 10.1 was just basically optimizing what 10.0 set out to do. With 10.1 we saw great speed enhancements, basically the non-beta form of OS X. I'm think'n (and it also looks like it's the way it's going) that 10.3 will be the optimized version to 10.2...basically I've found that MOSR is the only one to back that up, as of right now.

I think it would be great if Apple sped up OS X, still not as fast as OS 9, it still has a longer wait when you first go to open your HD (when it's spinned up and ready to go).

What NEW things are they going to introduce with this installment of the O.S.? 64-bit support?(yah, not done yet) Blinking Turbo light(blink), Jet Engine Packs (fart), maybe more vents all around the tower so that you can talk into it like a box fan and make weird voice noises (luke i am your father)?

Don't you think it would be in Apple's best interest to get more out of their processors by making their O.S. faster, for their paying customers? (yah, but are they doing it?!)

What about the builds going on right now?!
  • Reply 10 of 41
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    What'd y'all think the "speed holes" were for, anyway? Apple just hasn't finished the drivers for them yet.

Seriously, I hear that this is the version where they finally remove all the debug code.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Seriously, I hear that this is the version where they finally remove all the debug code.

Hmmm, I thought an operating system consists of debug code only... In order to throw the appropriate exceptions.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

I could have sworn that the turbos went in for the MDD models -- I can hear mine spooling up every time I reboot! I think the new 970s will be more along the lines of a "there ain't no replacement for displacement" V8. Hopefully the muffler isn't optional this time.

In the immortal words of Colin Chapman horsepower sells cars, torque wins races. Part of the MHz myth and a hell of showstopper when the 970 starts spinning around its vertical axis during the PhotoShop bakeoff. The LotusMac, in stores soon.

kroehl
  • Reply 13 of 41
    basherbasher Posts: 4member
    Lotus:

Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious
  • Reply 14 of 41
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally posted by willywalloo

Reports are saying that tests from the original iMac to the very latest Dual's, show increased speed amung any given place in the O.S.

Yes, and then they go and say that previous builds ran find on a 9600 but this one doesn't. Only a hack gets it to work on a 9600 to start off with, so why bother mentioning it?
  • Reply 15 of 41
    i'm not quite sure what the turbo light did, there was an option in the bios to have turbo on or off
  • Reply 16 of 41
    boy_analogboy_analog Posts: 315member
    Yep, this was one of the all-time great PC smackdowns: "You mean that there's a button on this thing to make it go slower?!"

Of course, this doesn't seem quite so funny nowadays....

Seriously, I had the purpose of this button explained to me a few years ago. I think it had something to do with backwards compatibility on some systems.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by boy_analog

Seriously, I had the purpose of this button explained to me a few years ago. I think it had something to do with backwards compatibility on some systems.

I believe it was there for speed-critical apps, such as games. If you didn't turn off the turbo, some games would run way too fast (ie, not enough delay in some loops, etc).

-Leigh
  • Reply 18 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

Yes, and then they go and say that previous builds ran find on a 9600 but this one doesn't. Only a hack gets it to work on a 9600 to start off with, so why bother mentioning it?

Either it's an upgraded 9600 (in which case it's using XPostFacto or something like that) or it never worked in 10.2 - 10.2 requires a G3, period.

Smells fishy.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    boy_analogboy_analog Posts: 315member
    Quote:

Originally posted by compulov

I believe it was there for speed-critical apps, such as games. If you didn't turn off the turbo, some games would run way too fast (ie, not enough delay in some loops, etc).

-Leigh

Actually, this sounds a little bit more like it; I think you're right.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    Groan...

This means we'll have to put up with Jobs saying "boom!" a thousand times like Madden off his ritalin.