Wwdc

Comments

• Reply 121 of 770
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

Good, maybe they'll optimize After Effects to make up for that sleazy Orphange / Dell Ad

Hell, maybe they optimze ANY of their apps for OSX.

Maybe Adobe will show up with pen and paper at WWDC and learn how to code for Altivec.
  • Reply 122 of 770
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    which tower, the old one or the new one?

I need to do the trig for my "trinity-like motocycle" break in.
  • Reply 123 of 770
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Adobe have several AltiVec gurus on board. They just have to prioritize the work so that they aren't just coming in on the odd Saturday to speed up a filter here and there.

The talent is there. They just have to use it.
  • Reply 124 of 770
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member

May 20 1498, Vasco da Gama reaches India

Portuguese explorer Vasco de Gama becomes the first European to reach India via the Atlantic Ocean or Mediterranean Sea when he arrives at Calicut on the Malabar Coast.

Da Gama sailed from Lisbon, Portugal, in July 1497, rounded the Cape of Good Hope, and anchored at Malindi on the east coast of Africa. With the aid of an Indian merchant he met there, he then set off across the Indian Ocean. The Portuguese explorer was not greeted warmly by the Muslim merchants of Calicut, and in 1499 he had to fight his way out of the harbor on his return trip home. In 1502, he led a squadron of ships to Calicut to avenge the massacre of Portuguese explorers there and succeeded in subduing the inhabitants. In 1524, he was sent as viceroy to India, but he fell ill and died in Cochin.
  • Reply 125 of 770
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    This has probably been mentioned already, and may be obvious anyway. But, I've been told that all attendees of WWDC will receive a preview copy of Panther.

That's it.
  • Reply 126 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

This has probably been mentioned already, and may be obvious anyway. But, I've been told that all attendees of WWDC will receive a preview copy of Panther.

That's it.

Yupp, that is correct. From ADC:
    Quote:

Don't forget, all WWDC 2003 attendees will receive a preview release of the next major version of Mac OS X, along with post-conference access to sessions online, and a WWDC 2003 Sessions DVD set.

• Reply 127 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

Yupp, this is correct. From ADC:

I suppose I should read my ADC email.

Anyway, the other point seems to be that they're keen to get people to SF, as they phoned this morning to tell me about the Panther preview and to try and get me to go to WWDC (too far, too much money, too much other stuff to do).
  • Reply 128 of 770
    alex londonalex london Posts: 613member
    Clive, didn't you ask them what was so very special about this wwdc that they would be phoning people up? Or do they always do this?
  • Reply 129 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alex London

Clive, didn't you ask them what was so very special about this wwdc that they would be phoning people up? Or do they always do this?

Ha, well he told me on the quiet that if I went along I'd get to see a quad 970-powered 12" PowerBook - and that I'd be able to fry my breakfast on it too.

I don't know what the imperative about getting people along was, perhaps they have low registrations right now and it's just a sales drive (given that they changed the date fairly late that's a distinct possibility). They've never called before about anything.
  • Reply 130 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

They've never called before about anything.

Just wandering: would you caracterize yourself as a insignificant, small, medium size or big developer?
  • Reply 131 of 770
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    Speaking of changing the dates,

Has Apple done anything to help out the folks whose travel costs were screwed by the date change?

Have they offered to pay the Change fees? or to replace unrefundable/unchangeable tickets?
  • Reply 132 of 770
    Netro, surely no-one, let alone Clive, is ever going to consider themselves an insignificant developer . I checked the wwdc page at apple and there's only three days left to get cheaper registration so i guess they're "altruistically "going through their list of non-attendees. Or they're desperate .
  • Reply 133 of 770
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    Having been to one WWDC (2000), it is a fun ride, but the smaller developers have been maltreated by Apple (their developer relations head left late 2001 mostly because he could not hack the job and treated developers as adversaries rather than challenge Steve to let the developers into the process).

Apple has opened up a bit more lately - but only to paying developers and mostly to Premier developers (hey it's "only" $3,500, they think).

I hope this is a real chance for developers to get in on the opening salvo of Panther sales, etc, and not another late invite to the party.
  • Reply 134 of 770
    Quote:

I don't remember the exact year (probably 2 or 3 years ago), but I was once contacted by Apple asking me to attend WWDC. I'm only an Online (read hobby) developer with no money and no time, so I declined.

They never called again, since.
  • Reply 135 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

Just wandering: would you caracterize yourself as a insignificant, small, medium size or big developer?

Not just insignificant, very insignificant.

For us it's more of a source of good info than anything else. We do a little development, but nothing that would cause the slightest blip on Apple's radar.
  • Reply 136 of 770

May 21 1927, Lindbergh Lands In Paris:

American pilot Charles A. Lindbergh lands at Le Bourget Field in Paris, successfully completing the first solo, nonstop transatlantic flight and the first ever nonstop flight between New York to Paris. His single-engine monoplane, The Spirit of St. Louis, had lifted off from Roosevelt Field in New York 33 1/2 hours before.
  • Reply 137 of 770
    Has no one seen this?

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...2871_tc056.htm

***CONFIRMED***! (sort of)
  • Reply 138 of 770
    EXTRA: WWDC postponed until early September. A spokesman denied any slip of hardware or software schedules. Reason cited was attendees difficulties in obtaining air travel, meals, and rooms during the SF summer vacation season. Exact time and place to be announced 1 week in advance.

In order to satisfy pent-up demand from Pro users, the company has stockpiled a special eMac bundle for the hot summer months. Included with any 1 GHz eMac will be a free pro-hood -- which helps reduce eyestrain at higher resolutions. Originally planned for last year, the hood has been under constant development for critical color-matching. For existing eMac users, the pro-hood (cardboard) will be immediately available only at company owned stores for $59.95 -- alongside the pro-mouse and pro-keyboard.
  • Reply 139 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tomb of the Unknown

***CONFIRMED***! (sort of)

Um, I think it just confirms that there are rumours at AI.
  • Reply 140 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by jccbin

Intelligence is only a thin shield against stupidity, often pierced from the INside.

NEW SIG!