What is the best Laptop money/value wise?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Looking for something that has the best value for the money spent, would you say the 14 inch ibook? Or the 12 inch power book perhaps? Mainly looking in terms of portability, power, battery power, visibility(is 12 inch pretty small??)??

How much use do yuo get out of a super drive compared to a combo drive?? which would you recommend??

THx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Purchasing advice belongs in General Discussion, moving there now...

It might help to give some detail as to what exactly you are planning on using it for. The iBook has a larger screen (but not higher resolution), it has longer battery life, and the PowerBook has more power, Airport Extreme... to name just a few points.

There is no blanket answer to your questions - it all depends on what *you* think is important. If you are basically a Mail, Safari, iTunes & Office user, the iBook is going to be a better value money-wise.

(Myself, after a day of using iDVD for the first time, I'd have a hard time not having a SuperDrive on at least one of my machines. )
  • Reply 2 of 5
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    12" iBook, then 12" pBook. I'd go with the G4, but I'm especially concerned with size/weight.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    900mhz iBook compared to the miniPB.

MacSpeedZone review here
  • Reply 4 of 5
    jdradenjdraden Posts: 89member
    I recommend the 12" 900MHz iBook w/Combo drive... a great machine. I got the 800MHz one about 2 months ago and I love it. I am using it mostly for school, but also for website design & upkeep.

Some programs I use are: MS Word & Excel, Mail, Safari, Dreamweaver MX, Flash MX, Photoshop 7, iTunes. The system is responsive and adequate, although for some of the more complicated programs a G4 would be more appropriate.

Overall I think the best value is with the iBook 900MHz. The 867MHz Powerbook isn't worth the higher price because the performace is not noticably better than the iBook.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I think the tests at MacSpeedZone did definitely emphasize that the G4 is great for graphics. The 12"PB also did somewhat better on the "open 1000 windows" test, which means that it will probably feel more responsive.