Amercan military admits using torture agaisnt iraqis

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Lets set a new record. How many times can you call me something that contains one or more of the words "euro", "liberal", "commie", "anti-american" and "french" in one thread

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story...959538,00.html

US forces admitting the use of torture. And not being ashamed about it.

Do you really think this is jusitfied? And now when there is no imminent threath from the WoMD that maybe in Iraq?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 119
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Forget the torture - whoever thought up that "training" regimen ought to be tried for war crimes. Erm, you euro-liberal commie anti-american frenchie!
  • Reply 2 of 119
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    One
  • Reply 3 of 119
    I don't see anything wrong with using Sesame Street and Metallica as psyops tools. The Barney song is too much though, that's just not right.
  • Reply 4 of 119
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    very cute, anders.
  • Reply 5 of 119
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    The Barney quote is hilarious.

On a personal note,

"These people haven't heard heavy metal before. They can't take it. If you play it for 24 hours, your brain and body functions start to slide, your train of thought slows down and your will is broken."

That would explain a lot.
  • Reply 6 of 119
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

very cute, anders.

Cute? I´m dead serious. THIS IS TORTURE and makes all talk about the spread of western democratic values sound hollow I just refuse to put the faces up everytime there is something out there that is wrong.
  • Reply 7 of 119
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

"These people haven't heard heavy metal before. They can't take it. If you play it for 24 hours, your brain and body functions start to slide, your train of thought slows down and your will is broken."

That would explain a lot.

• Reply 8 of 119
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I don't like torture, but you have to take into account that these Americans never had a middle ages in which it was perfectly legal and acceptable to torture others. Your conclusion whilst reading this must then be the same as mine: the US is currently lving in the middle ages. Now that I realise this, a lot of things fall into their places. Inbred imbeciles governing, how medieval. Brutish barbarians with low skulls eager to smash members of other tribes' faces in with a club. Yep.
  • Reply 9 of 119
    Well they do get to keep their ears attached, which in that part of the world, is a definite plus.

Other than that it's in definite breach of the UN Charter and of the universal protocol on tasteful music and safe dB levels.

[I have sometimes thought it'd be pertinent to submit a few AI posters to extended exposure to Oum Kalsoum, if only to pre-empt future annoyances]

I believe Anders has reasonable grounds to sue the US government for these hideous war crimes, and I propose a special war tribunal to be set in Florence, Tuscany is really pleasant in this season.

I would however be suspicious of of the reliability of info from a preson whose ?brain and body functions start to slide, your train of thought slows down?; hell, I can't tell my left from my right after spending time with the extended family and its thousand screaming kids.

Of course, there are other, more subtle, more efficient methods which break the will of the source while leaving his mind clear and his body untouched.
  • Reply 10 of 119
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    torture smorture its just entertainment...

now you wonder why the entertainment industry is so powerful
  • Reply 11 of 119
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders the White

Cute? I´m dead serious. THIS IS TORTURE and makes all talk about the spread of western democratic values sound hollow I just refuse to put the faces up everytime there is something out there that is wrong.

You are correct. This is torture. However, since I'm not a Republican I hate America and my opinion isn't valid.
  • Reply 12 of 119
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders the White

Cute? I´m dead serious. THIS IS TORTURE?

Some people who suffered real torture would take offense here.

Not that you shouldn't be allowed to be offensive or anything.

Having to suffer loud bad music is not torture; having real acute pain inflicted on you for days, weeks, months? is.

Oh yes, real torture also doesn't have deadlines.
  • Reply 13 of 119
    It's certainly a gray area between psychological pressure and torture. The US would argue that only hearing damage would constitute torture.
  • Reply 14 of 119
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Immanuel Goldstein

Having to suffer loud bad music is not torture; having real acute pain inflicted on you for days, weeks, months? is.

So you are one of those people that live in a world that is black and white.

Why can't both circumstances be torture of varying degrees? HMM??
  • Reply 15 of 119
    Quote:

Originally posted by Immanuel Goldstein

This is real torture. We have been through this before. Its covered by the United Nations convention against torture.

"Just" because there is other more cruel forms for torture doesn´t make this less torture.
  • Reply 16 of 119
    Okay I bothered finding it.

UN definition:

Quote:

"...the term 'torture' means any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person for such purposes as obtaining from him or a third person information or a confession, punishing him for an act he or a third person has committed or is suspected of having committed, or intimidating or coercing him or a third person for any reason based on discrimination of any kind, when such pain or suffering is inflicted by or at the instigation of or with the consent or acquiescence of a public official or other person acting in an official capacity."

WMA definition:

Quote:

??torture is defined as the deliberate, systematic or wanton infliction of physical or mental suffering by one or more persons acting alone or on the orders of any authority to force another person to yield information, to make a confession, or for any other reason.?

Clicky
  • Reply 17 of 119
    kneelbeforezodkneelbeforezod Posts: 1,120member
    According to the UN Committee Against Torture, sleep deprivation and prolonged subjugation to loud music are interrogation techniques that constitute torture (as defined in Article 1 of the United Nations Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment) and cannot be permitted even under 'exceptional circumstances'.

Even if you don't feel that these techniques are 'real' torture, this is still the kind of behavior the US Department of State deplores (when practiced by countries like Iran, Turkey or China) in its annual report on Human Rights practices.
  • Reply 18 of 119
    enaena Posts: 667member
    Maybe if they ASKED REAL NICE they'll tell all they know?

.....although having to listen to Marilyn Manson and Mettalica's latest album would be painful....

I wonder if they've tried any of David Lee Roth's solo albums---that's almost too terrible to consider.
  • Reply 19 of 119
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

"Trust me, it works," a US "operative" told Newsweek magazine.

"In training, they forced me to listen to the Barney I Love You song for 45 minutes. I never want to go through that again."

I know my 2 year old makes life miserable some days, but I had no idea it was torture.

• Reply 20 of 119
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

Even if you don't feel that these techniques are 'real' torture, this is still the kind of behavior the US Department of State deplores in its annual report on Human Rights practices.

Well, we all know that there's a big rift between the State Department and the Defense Department anyway.