Whatcha Reading???

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Currently on Sundiver by David Brin...

On deck: Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    A good JACS article here and there...

At home its Crime and Punishment...
  • Reply 23 of 45
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Just finished Bringing Down The House about the MIT students who made millions in Vegas.

Good book.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    loganlogan Posts: 284member
    I am reading one of the best books i have ever read, and no doubt one of the best books of this century, James Michener's Hawaii.

Great book
  • Reply 25 of 45
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Retrograde

Ok, call me an old bore but I have just been reading Charles Taylor's Sources of the Self this evening and I have to say I have been enjoying it!

But everyone interested in reading ought to check the link below out: The Hundred Most Influential Books Since the War.

I found this "cut and paste" after doing a quick search because I have had a photocopy of this article kicking around my office ever since it appeared in the TLS on October 6, 1995.

Has anyone read all 100?

I started theat Taylor book. I saw him give a talk in 1985 and liked his approach . . . . but I thought his book would be more hermenuetical and found it wasn't what I was looking for . . . and yes, it WAS a bore . .. typical Canuk . . . I do like his work on Hegel though . . .

by the way Dune sucks

Vonnegut is great

. . . i am reading trashy sci-fi . . . at the moment Alastair Reynold's Revelation Space . . . keeps me from thinking about the real world and myself . . . and right now that's ok . . .

wil be reading Emanuel DeLanda's 1 Million Years of Human History . . . interesting book . . . and also plan to read Pure Immanence by Delueze . . . its short and its about Nietszche
  • Reply 26 of 45
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    the only books i read are normally computer related...or scientific

right now i just started

The CCNA Guid to Cisco Networking Fundementals
  • Reply 27 of 45
    Quote:

Has anyone read all 100?

3, I've read 3. Both books by Orwell, and Hawking's + Huxley from the list of anti-bellum books (yeah I know that usually refers to the civil war, but it doesn't have to )
  • Reply 28 of 45
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    The Illustrated version of A Brief History of Time. Pretty well written; it's tough to explain such obscure concepts in plain English but Hawking does a pretty good job of it mostly. I'm always reading it before bed though which means I can't get through more than about 5 or 6 pages without dozing off. I should read it during my lunch breaks or something but then I'd end up taking too long a lunch break.

• Reply 29 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by SledgeHammer

3, I've read 3. Both books by Orwell, and Hawking's + Huxley from the list of anti-bellum books (yeah I know that usually refers to the civil war, but it doesn't have to )

Darn . . .

I only read 10 on the main list . . . though there were books by people who had written other books that i read, such as Arrendt's the Human Condition (great book from a great thinker)

there were 4.5 on the addendum list from pre-war

I need to hit the books and read more of those . . .
  • Reply 30 of 45
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    Just getting into The Perfect War by James William Gibson.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    I reread Catch-22 over Spring Break. I'm currently reading through Transitions to Democracy, an edited volume by Lisa Anderson for my exam next Tuesday. On deck after that is rushing through Arendt's Human Condition, Foucault's Discipline and Punish, and if I get around to it, Nietzsche's Genealogy of Morals for my exam on Wednesday. Having 4 exams in 3 days is fun.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    I'm not too keen on fiction. I can't really get through an entire book of it. i can get through short stories ok (Poe of course, and there was this great Irish femail author, who's name escapes me). Recently, I started Heidegger's What Is Called Thinking?, which is very interesting. I'm also reading Nietcshe's Thus Spoke Zarathustra, which isn't quite what I expected coming from him.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by agent302

I reread Catch-22 over Spring Break. I'm currently reading through Transitions to Democracy, an edited volume by Lisa Anderson for my exam next Tuesday. On deck after that is rushing through Arendt's Human Condition, Foucault's Discipline and Punish, and if I get around to it, Nietzsche's Genealogy of Morals for my exam on Wednesday. Having 4 exams in 3 days is fun.

Those last three should DEFINITELY be given time and focus . . . and they're all excellent books!!!!

The Arendt is misleading in that it might at first seem to be anti-progressive and reactionary and yet what she maps out as regards the loss of Action and the rise of the social and its origins in metaphysical thought (like her lover Heidegger) is very profound . . . . a good critique of Communism implicit as well . .

hey the Freak . . the Heidegger: that's a good book too . . . "What is most thought-provoking in these thought provoking times is why we have not begun thinking . . . " paraphrased from memory . . . . though it does seem to go on and on . . . his reworking of the ancient greek Logos is brilliant . . . probably completely wrong but still it works for provoking thought . .
  • Reply 34 of 45
    alpha macalpha mac Posts: 463member
    Tom Clancy's; The Sum of All Fears. It's good
  • Reply 35 of 45
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

hey the Freak . . the Heidegger: that's a good book too . . . "What is most thought-provoking in these thought provoking times is why we have not begun thinking . . . " paraphrased from memory . . . . though it does seem to go on and on . . . his reworking of the ancient greek Logos is brilliant . . . probably completely wrong but still it works for provoking thought . .

he definitely doesn't seem to drone as much as Nietzche's Zarathustra; though maybe i haven't gotten into the bulk of him. The book, as i understand it, is a transcript of several lectures, so the longwinded parts are probably just him loving his voice. i actually picked it up by accident at the store; i can't remember the name of the fella or the book i intended to buy, but i remember he was a german from before my time.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    "Tales of Protection" by norwegian author Erik Fosnes Hansen. Good book.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    The Pillars of Creation by Terry Goodkind, part of the Sword of Truth series. Not the best book in the series, which would be Faith of the Fallen, but a good tale nonetheless. When reading the series, it's probably best to start with the first book or else become hopelessly lost.

Some other good books I've recently read: Timeline by Michael Crichton and A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    retrograderetrograde Posts: 503member
    Quote:

Darn . . .

I only read 10 on the main list . . . though there were books by people who had written other books that i read, such as Arrendt's the Human Condition (great book from a great thinker)

Darn indeed... I've read a dozen by my count but really I should have read more I keep a photocopy of the list around my desk as I keep meaning to read more but just haven't managed to yet. In fact I've got a number of these sitting on my bookshelf but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Perhaps reincarnation will allow me to read the others in a future life unless it turns out to be an eternal return

I agree about the Arendt: a great thinker and the Human Condition is an awesome book with great clarity and range. The Origins of Totalitarianism is also an incredible book but not as well organised and with a lot more time spent on historical detail. The Eichmann book is definitely her most infamous book as it led to her virtual excommunication within the American Jewish community. Definitely an author worth reading... along with many others in the 100 list!
  • Reply 39 of 45
    retrograderetrograde Posts: 503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by agent302

On deck after that is rushing through Arendt's Human Condition, Foucault's Discipline and Punish, and if I get around to it, Nietzsche's Genealogy of Morals for my exam on Wednesday. Having 4 exams in 3 days is fun.

Quote:

Those last three should DEFINITELY be given time and focus . . . and they're all excellent books!!!!

I echo pfflam's appraisal! It sounds like you are doing an excellent social and political theory course. I had a professor once say to me that no undergraduate student should ever complete a bachelor's degree without having read certain books. She included in that list Nietzsche's Genealogy of Morals as well as Freud's Civilization and It's Discontents as well as Goethe's Faust. I think you could definitely add Foucault's DP as well as Arendt's HC to that list.

oh, and good luck with the exams!
  • Reply 40 of 45
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Quote:

oh, and good luck with the exams!

Thanks. Yeah, it seems like it should have been a good course, if wasn't for the fact that my professor was horrible! The reading list was good though.