Need Help Networking.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I Need some help networking two macs my mac is a Dual 867mhz while the other is a 7300/180 powermac runing mac os 9.1 while my dual runs 10.2.6. The 7300 has a 10MB ethernet but i only get like 300k to 1MB upload and download speed from 7300 mac....what is the best way to set up the 7300 and my mac as the 7300 is runing 9.1 and my is runing os x...what is the best way about geting the fastest network from these macs? what is the best protocol?

Frank_t

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by frank_t

The 7300 has a 10MB ethernet but i only get like 300k to 1MB upload and download speed....

1. Update to 9.2.

2. Make sure you have ShareWay IP Personal Bgnd extension in System Folder:Extensions.

3. In File Sharing control panel check Enable File Sharing clients to connect over TCP/IP.

4. From your Mac OS X box connect to the 7300 by entering its IP address. Transfer speeds should be better.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    A 7300 can only go up too 9.1 i can't undate it any more as it won't work.....and where do i put the 7300 ip on the os x box?

Frank_t
  • Reply 3 of 6
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

A 7300 can only go up too 9.1 i can't update it any more as it won't work.....

Never mind. Although it's very strange. 9.1 should work OK.

Quote:

and where do i put the 7300 ip on the os x box?

In the Connect to Server window. When you connect to the volume you need, make an alias of it so that from now on you could double-click it without remembering the IP.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    Thanks for that...but all i wanted to know is what is the fastest way....which protocol is faster? I have it set on DHCP.

Frank_t
  • Reply 5 of 6
    alaskan66alaskan66 Posts: 47member
    DHCP isn't a protocol per se, it is a way of assigning an IP address. The protocol you are using to transfer the files is still TCP. (Transfer Control Protocol) If you are only getting 300K, make certain you have a high quality cable, a defragged hard drive on the older machine, and no other programs running.

I have found that setting up the older machine as an FTP server (lots of shareware for that) also works well, as would enabling FTP sharing on the OSX machine, then using Archie/Netfinder/Etc. on the older machine to initiate the transfer.

Luck
  • Reply 6 of 6
    enaena Posts: 667member
    ....you should be able to point both machines's appletalk panels to ethernet and hook a crossover cable between them (or you can use a hub or switch if have one.) Name the 7300 (in the file sharing control panel), and then share a folder on your 7300 and make sure guest access is set read/write on the folder (get info..sharing) and then make sure the 7300 allows guests to connect (in the users and groups control panel.) In X goto the "connect to server" and click on "local network" your 7300 should show up.....

oops, I just read that you wanted something fast, go back and point both TCP/IP panels to ethernet and give them false IP adresses 192.168.1.xxx on a mask of 255.255.255.0, the router wont matter.

make sure that apple file share over tcp is enabled on both machines ( the network and file sharing control panels)

in the connect to server part enter afp://192.168.1.xxx (address of the 7300) this should give you afp over tcp/ip about as fast as you can get. AFP SUCKS BIG TIME and gives you about 10-25% of the rated speed of your equipment, so if you time your transfers, don't freak out.