Why doesnt Apple make something like this.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I was looking through P.I.G. magazine and saw this. It's all in italion so I cant read it but it looks awesome. Why couldnt Apple make their furture iPod like this? Mac OS X, Quicktime, Itunes... etc... I would buy one. The actual casing looks like something Apple would make.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    krob81krob81 Posts: 56member
    I also just found this. If you "read" through the text, it talks about iPhoto, PDA, Apple, Mac OS... check it out.

• Reply 2 of 27
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Krob81

The actual casing looks like something Apple would make.

No it doesn't.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Quote:

I was looking through P.I.G. magazine and saw this. It's all in italion so I cant read it but it looks awesome. Why couldnt Apple make their furture iPod like this? Mac OS X, Quicktime, Itunes... etc... I would buy one. The actual casing looks like something Apple would make.

http://oregonstate.edu/~kendalro/apple-huh.jpg

Ah, they'll get around to it.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

I also just found this. If you "read" through the text, it talks about iPhoto, PDA, Apple, Mac OS... check it out.

...and his web site says they are made up items

www.applele.com
  • Reply 5 of 27
    www.applele.com

This is surreal. They have their own G4 Cylinder! Who are these people?
  • Reply 6 of 27
    They have an aswesome Gallery page.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Has to get thinner first. The whole thing is moot without the right case, and of course the processor and battery to handle what you're talking about. I think we're at least 2 years away from even tablet PCs being really viable, let alone stuff like this. As evidence of how important the form is, just look at the Newton. Wasn't convenient enough.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Good point. improvements in battery size and weight really need to be made.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Hmm....little LCDs in a box? no thanks.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Quote:

They have an aswesome Gallery page.

"They" is actually a singular "he" (Isamu Sanada) and he has been making 3d prototype Apple designs for years.

People frequently used to try to pass off his images for "leaked" Apple designs here at AI and on other sites. Pretty funny.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    I saw one of those on a tv show on TechTv once... basically at the time (this was probably a year ago) but it was a like a pentium 133mhz with 32 megs of ram, and well just not worth it... one interesting point they made tho was that the reason it was so big was so it could have full size ports (ie parrallel and serial) if they just went with USB it'd've been cooler. I bet its like hauling around a big fat brick though. personally I'd just get one of those windows tablets if I had to choose between one of those or something like it. thank god for apple notebooks tho.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    We've all seen these kinds of mockups for years, and some are pretty clunky like the 1 gig Crusoe above. But it is obvious to me that a QuickTime player would be a hot item! Done well it could be the "Walkman of video media" in size, performance and price. People who scoff at video on a 4" handheld screen are the same ones who drool over themselves watching a Matrix trailer on their desktop at the same size and resolution...without noticing the irony.

So the product has legs. However as Apple has been evolving video compositing beyond the cpu (and hopefully this will continue) can they get a fast harddrive paired with a fast, embedded G3 and graphics accelerator in a box smaller and curvier than that for under $500? Soon I hope, I would like to iSynch my trailers and Flash animations!!
  • Reply 13 of 27
    nitridenitride Posts: 100member
    Who has ever said Apple has NOT considered making this kind of thing, or even had a working prototype?

I bet if you walked in the secured/locked labs you'd see stuff that would blow your mind.

Then you'd go to Microsoft and see the same kinds of things, and go to DELL and see more similar stuff, and go to Xerox and see stuff that blows away everyone else's stuff, and then go to MIT and see stuff that only people at MIT could come up with...

Back here on Earth however Apple is a BUSINESS that is in busines to make MONEY. They do this by making product that people want to use and add value to products they already own.

If this kind of device would sell hundreds of thousands of units and had a reasonable price/margin Apple would be right in there selling their version.

Since you haven't seen one it obviously doesn't make sene for Apple to be in this market (whatever it is) AT THIS TIME.

One thing that I find interesting is that Album Artwork is embedded INSIDE the music file (MP3, AAC). Why go through all the trouble to do this to the file when you can just stuff an image file in the music folder that iTunes uses (like on Windoze)?

The graphic gets duplicated in EACH file, not very efficient. But the image goes WITH the file, even if you stream it wirelessly to some other device.. ooh what a concept. Now how would this be useful?

Maybe Apple already has something in mind. Do you think they came up with Zero Conf the week before Mac OS X 10.2 was released? How many other elements had to be in place before it was possible to do what it does (NBP, DNS, TCP changes)? Mac OS 9 even has pieces of Zero Conf in it.

Never underestimate what Apple is CAPABLE of doing. If it makes business sense it will come out (the original Mac was a side project without official support).
  • Reply 14 of 27
    I just got wireless internet at home and I could really see some great uses for this kind of mini tablet. I could just carry something like this all over the house/campus and check my email on the go or whatever, vote on online polls while watching Monday Night Football, weather, read the paper... this is awesome. Apple needs to make one of these.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

I just got wireless internet at home and I could really see some great uses for this kind of mini tablet. I could just carry something like this all over the house/campus and check my email on the go or whatever, vote on online polls while watching Monday Night Football, weather, read the paper... this is awesome. Apple needs to make one of these.

Long years ago...when the "Tablet Thread Wars" began...I thought of a tablet as a coffee table device that was large enough to do what you are saying and as an adjunct to TV. WebTV has been a bad version of both.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

Long years ago...when the "Tablet Thread Wars" began...I thought of a tablet as a coffee table device that was large enough to do what you are saying and as an adjunct to TV. WebTV has been a bad version of both.

yeah here's hoping someone can get it right this time. I hope Apple does it.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Apple HAS the technologies to make this. I know this topic has been discussed before. I think it would be awesome to combine airport, quicktime, itunes, iphoto, imovie, Safari etc in a device like this. I heard talk of some kind of wireless video "airport" like device. It seems like one huge barrier is battery life.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Yeah, battery life and price. I'm guessing getting a good enough battery and a small bright display is expensive for a device of this kind.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Actually, there are many things that Apple has come up with, but just never fully implemented. Figaro, for example, was VERY similar to tablet pcs (turned into Newton). There are also designs for a wrist phone type of thing as well as many other computers. AppleDesign has a bunch of released Apple designs. Considering these were made several years ago, they are quite impressive.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

how bout this

remote, wiresless web browsing, insane pricetag!

http://www.pronto.philips.com/