Annoying tight horizontal stripes in OSX windows

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I predict that the next version of OSX will be rid of these annoying tight horizontal stripes that decorate all of the windows.

My prediction is that the new windows will look all cool and chrome-like, a la iTunes 4.

I can't wait! These stripes are hideous!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    Ooops. I probably should have put this in the OSX area. My bad.
  • Reply 2 of 54
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SuperGrover

chrome-like, a la iTunes 4.

That's called "brushed metal".

Some of the rumor sites say Apple is making metal a system-wide appearance. Others say it's just that all of Apple's own apps will use brushed metal.

I, for one, hope neither is the case. Though, it would be nice to either tone down or kill the stripes altogether.

Moving to Mac OS X.
  • Reply 3 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

That's called "brushed metal".

Some of the rumor sites say Apple is making metal a system-wide appearance. Others say it's just that all of Apple's own apps will use brushed metal.

I, for one, hope neither is the case. Though, it would be nice to either tone down or kill the stripes altogether.

Moving to Mac OS X.

Isn't the operating system supposed to customizable? I'd rather have my own choice between the two.

And maybe some more choices on aqua button color, other than blue and graphite?
  • Reply 4 of 54
    Bah! It will come eventually. I know it. How long can they ignore my spam without surrendering to my demands? or taking legal action?

EDIT: Sending our combined mind-influencing brain power at Apple will get them to see our way! If not can become part of the system, manipulate the system! XD
  • Reply 5 of 54
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Personally, I like the stripes. But more customization is really what is needed. People like to play with their display.
  • Reply 6 of 54
    Oh I figure we don't need to send it to them. They read this stuff, you know it.

So, while I'm at it, I also want 'Note Pad' to be put in OSX! I know it's still in Classic mode, but it'd be so much handier in OSX. Just so you don't do away with it all together when you eliminate Classic mode.

I use 'Note Pad' a lot.

Yeah, customizable windows. I want that, too!
  • Reply 7 of 54
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    I hope OSX.3 brings THEMES, so we can make our own instead of the Apple/Steve fascist one nation, one people, one UI theme nonsense.
  • Reply 8 of 54
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dog Almighty

Isn't the operating system supposed to customizable? I'd rather have my own choice between the two.

And maybe some more choices on aqua button color, other than blue and graphite?

It'd be fun to have the theme switching ability like you did in OS 9. Instead of having to use third party apps that could seriously fuxx0r your system (unless you have os 9, and a OS X install disk handy)

"Ruby" aqua would definitely be kickass

Where's my stick? I have a horse that needs beating.
  • Reply 9 of 54
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    After having given this a bit of consideration, I am inclined to express my hope that the stripes will go, in favor of plain matte white, (not shiny, maybe a little creamy though). I'd also like to have the upper corners of aqua windows sharp, not rounded like they are now. I think that'd be better.
  • Reply 10 of 54
    bryan.furybryan.fury Posts: 164member
    I'd also like to have the upper corners of aqua windows sharp, not rounded like they are now.[/QUOTE]

yes!!!

those rounded edges on the top of windows really are the single worst design decision in osx.

concerning themes: i never did understand this obsession some people have with themes. i just hope they won't sacrifice stability to implement such a useless feature.
  • Reply 11 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by bryan.fury

concerning themes: i never did understand this obsession some people have with themes. i just hope they won't sacrifice stability to implement such a useless feature.

There are obviously many features in X that some people would deem useless. But if implemented properly, I believe themes could be nothing but a plus (especially with so many people fervently pining for them.)

I mean, people use third party apps to create and use the themes they want, Apple UI Nazis be damned. And sometimes it can cause serious problems, i.e. unusable systems requiring a complete reinstall; but this this sort of thing will happen any time someone is hacking around with the core components of their system. But if supported by the OS, this would no longer be the case. Like in os 9, you don?t replace platinum, you just add your theme, and if for some strange reason said theme doesn?t work properly (or doesn?t work at all) you always have the default platinum to fall back on.

As for me, I?ve never really used themes. In fact, other than testing a few themes out that I saw on resexcellence for five minutes (or less) before switching back to good ?ol aqua, or using the theme that made OS 9 look like aqua, I?ve never used them.

If anything, Apple should at least add a few new options for button/widget color.

I WANT MY RUBY AQUA!
  • Reply 12 of 54
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Rounded corners have been one of the trademarks of the Mac OS since day 1. The idea is that each window is more easily identified as a figure -- look at street signs as the original analogy -- therefore more easily distinguished from one another.

I think Apple has the idea that they will create, for lack of a better term, appearance "genres," where different types of applications will have different appearances. However, I would hope that the basic behavior of those apps would be consistent.
  • Reply 13 of 54
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Then why didn't OS 6,7,8 or 9 have them?

Don't want to push anybody's buttons -- I don't really care either way. Some customization features will be a welcome addition.
  • Reply 14 of 54
    Quote:

Rounded corners have been one of the trademarks of the Mac OS since day 1.

i disliked them since day 1.

from a formalistic point of view, it's simply awkward to have rounded corners on the top of a window and regular corners on the bottom.

on another note: i don't really think terms like "fascist" and "nazi" are appropriate for a discussion about user-interfaces. that's just plain ignorant.
  • Reply 15 of 54
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    It's always had rounded edges on the screen. They didn't do it for windows because they didn't have alpha channels available until OS 8.5 (I think). The rounded corner thing has always been there.
  • Reply 16 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by bryan.fury

on another note: i don't really think terms like "fascist" and "nazi" are appropriate for a discussion about user-interfaces. that's just plain ignorant.

ex·ag·ger·ate

1. To represent as greater than is actually the case; overstate: exaggerate the size of the enemy force; exaggerated his own role in the episode.

2. To enlarge or increase to an abnormal degree: thick lenses that exaggerated the size of her eyes.

v. intr.

To make overstatements.
  • Reply 17 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by DiscoCow

ex·ag·ger·ate

1. To represent as greater than is actually the case; overstate: exaggerate the size of the enemy force; exaggerated his own role in the episode.

2. To enlarge or increase to an abnormal degree: thick lenses that exaggerated the size of her eyes.

v. intr.

To make overstatements.

good! you know how to use a dictionary. next time you can use that ability to find a more appropriate term. (no offence, but your post asked for it )
  • Reply 18 of 54
    fas·cism

n.

1. often Fascism

a. A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a dictator, stringent socioeconomic controls, suppression of the opposition through terror and censorship, and typically a policy of belligerent nationalism and racism.

b. A political philosophy or movement based on or advocating such a system of government.

2. Oppressive, dictatorial control.

...Nazis are kinda Fascists are they not?

Most Mac users are kinda elitists are they not?

Can we not find a happy medium between ?Apple?s way is the best way? & ?The customer is always right??

Heil Jobs!

(see exaggeration)

...(no offence, but your post asked for it )
  • Reply 19 of 54
    Quote:

Then why didn't OS 6,7,8 or 9 have them?

Calculator and a few other apps have rounded windows. I guess that was sort of the 'brushed metal' of the time, but it's quite rare.
  • Reply 20 of 54
    In case you guys missed it, BuonRotto was referring to the rounded corners of the screen, not just of the windows.