DVD player hacks - all regions?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Dear all

I am really irritated about the fact that you can't play all regions DVDs on the Apple DVD players. This is outrageous - I have a 15" Powerbook, and expect to be able to play DVDs wherever I go - which is in any given year in *all* zones!

Now on some commercial DVD players, there is often a hack which allows you to change your player to all regions. Does anyone know of anything like this for our beloved Powerbooks?

Andrew

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kumrabai

Dear all

I am really irritated about the fact that you can't play all regions DVDs on the Apple DVD players. This is outrageous - I have a 15" Powerbook, and expect to be able to play DVDs wherever I go - which is in any given year in *all* zones!

Now on some commercial DVD players, there is often a hack which allows you to change your player to all regions. Does anyone know of anything like this for our beloved Powerbooks?

Andrew

Make a search i your friend with the words in italics. Or search this forum.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    google is your friend if the search function here doesn't find it for you.

this has been discussed a few times, and yes, there is a solution.

• Reply 4 of 13
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    T'ain't gonna help him--they all require booting from 9 to apply, and I don't see his drive listed.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    kumrabaikumrabai Posts: 66member
    Quote:

Originally posted by agent302

http://wormintheapple.gr/macdvd/

Thanks for all the responses - has anyone here actually done this without any negative side effects?

Andrew
  • Reply 6 of 13
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    yes.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    yup. Works great.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

T'ain't gonna help him--they all require booting from 9 to apply, and I don't see his drive listed.

That actually leads to an interesting question. If the new machines all won't boot into 9, it means that Apple should at some point create a Firmware Utility for X, given that firmware upgrades will be required in the future.

edit: But responding to the actual post: How can you know if his drive is listed if he didn't say what drive he has? I have a 15" TiBook, and my drive has a firmware patch on the site.

Plus, the OS 9 issue is a moot point here because all 15" Powerbooks can boot into OS 9.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    VLC will play all DVDs. Its not as pretty as apple's DVD player, but its coming along quite well.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14738
  • Reply 10 of 13
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    My bad--for some reason I thought he said he had a 12".

My 1Ghz hasn't been put up there yet--i so hope that XIV finds the time to do it.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    a@rona@ron Posts: 201member
    There was one OS X firmware updating utility released legitly, I am currently trying to alter the install to allow me to flash my new A05 so I don't need to hook it up to a PC to do it... I cannot boot into 9 Oh and BTW its XVI not XIV

A@ron
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cosmo

VLC will play all DVDs. Its not as pretty as apple's DVD player, but its coming along quite well.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14738

VLC will work as long as the drive is already Region free. It's both a software and hardware issue.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    moliumoliu Posts: 42member
    what about xregion. think it works on osx as well... should be able to download it off versiontracker.