A hidden menu in iTunes 4.0

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
It doesn't do anything earth-shattering, but I thought it was interesting.

I was trying out the Keyboard Access pref panel, and turned on full keyboard access. After pressing the Menu shortcut, I was looking at iTunes and I found this.

I hadn't seen it reported anywhere, so I don't know if it's a bug, a future feature, or perhaps definitive evidence of the elusive debug code.

What do you all think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    That is weird...

Also, if others want to see for themselves, you don't have to activate full keyboard access. Just click on the menu and use the left-righ arrow keys to scrub through the menus.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Nice catch!!
  • Reply 3 of 14
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Mmmmm... WebCore/WebFoundation...
  • Reply 4 of 14
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Looks like a 'Music Store Menu'. Home probably takes you to the top level, and forward/back goes forward/back within your Music Store navigation. There probably greyed out because you're not in the music store at the time of the screenshot.

I did notice the other day that, while the Applications menu in iTunes list cmd-, as the Preferences keyboard shortcut, cmd-y still works (which is what it was in iTunes 3). This menu provides some verification for that.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

Mmmmm... WebCore/WebFoundation...

ITMS is not using WebCore.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

ITMS is not using WebCore.

Well how the hell does it render the iTMS? It is HTML, dummy!

Barto
  • Reply 7 of 14
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

It is HTML, dummy!

No it's not!
  • Reply 8 of 14
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    It's XML, a larger markup set than html I beleive.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    I do believe it's a stream of data in XML, independent of presentation. At least that's what people investigating it have said.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    lol, Evita. Forgot I had that soundtrack?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

No it's not!

Fine, it's XML. Somehow, iTunes is rendering XML. Gee, I wonder how?

Barto
  • Reply 12 of 14
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by agent302

Looks like a 'Music Store Menu'. Home probably takes you to the top level, and forward/back goes forward/back within your Music Store navigation. There probably greyed out because you're not in the music store at the time of the screenshot.

I did notice the other day that, while the Applications menu in iTunes list cmd-, as the Preferences keyboard shortcut, cmd-y still works (which is what it was in iTunes 3). This menu provides some verification for that.

Good call. That's exactly what it does. Just have the music store selected and go to the menu and activate things. Why didn't they put it in a menu item, I wonder...
  • Reply 13 of 14
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Fine, it's XML. Somehow, iTunes is rendering XML. Gee, I wonder how?

Barto

Not by using WebCore - it can't render XML.

This quote is from Rick Roe (The Omni Group):

"These all return documents in a custom XML grammar which bears little resemblance to HTML. So chances are good that the rendering of this stuff is a process completely internal to iTunes, not some preexisting system component. (The iTunes 4 installer doesn't create any files besides the application.) There might still be close ties to QuickTime throughout, but it's at least as likely all the slidey-scrollers and such are just part of iTunes."
  • Reply 14 of 14
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Good call. That's exactly what it does. Just have the music store selected and go to the menu and activate things. Why didn't they put it in a menu item, I wonder...

It's a good question. At least we all know the keyboard shortcuts now. Music Store was frustrating me because I was occasionally hitting cmd-Forward or cmd-Backward. Now, cmd-[ it is!