Neck & Neck In Oz & USA

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
While it may at first seem to be of no great importance to the people of northern hemisphere, a straw poll is in the process of being held in Australia concerning the question :

" Should Australia allow the US to increase its military presence here ?"

The result so far is neck and neck with 17,981 saying Yes,

& 17,228 saying No.

This is of world importance, since Indonesia, the world's most populist Islamic nation is just half an hour away from Australia's Northern Borders...by air....

Tensions are growing in Aceh : a major province of Indonesia..re Islamic fundamentalists seeking to become independent of Indonesia..with the very real possibility that Indonesia may succum to civil war..

Indonesia has already shown that there are many fundamentalist muslim groups seeking to topple it's government as well as start up problems in the region..

So the stationing of extra American military forces in Australia will profoundly effect the balance of power in this region & have ramifications through out south east asia & as far away as China.

"Australia is a very big aircraft carrier "

General Douglas MacCarthur...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I think 'bedding' with the yanks and the klansmen will vastly improve your chances of being bombed to hell and back by frothing-at-the-mouth terrorist figures.
  • Reply 2 of 59
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

I think 'bedding' with the yanks and the klansmen will vastly improve your chances of being bombed to hell and back by frothing-at-the-mouth terrorist figures.

We've already been bombed.......88 aussies killed in Bali

Ps who are the Klansmen ?

There was a band by that name..but why would anyone want to bomb them ?
  • Reply 3 of 59
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    der Kopf--specializing in a foreign policy based on fear! Collect all his different faces!
  • Reply 4 of 59
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

klansmen? could you expand on your choice of words?
  • Reply 5 of 59
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

Ps who are the klansmen ?

the klan is a group of white supremists of the southern United States. they commit terrible atrocities against blacks. one of their most distinguishable characteristics is their white robes, and hoodies.

atleast, tahts what i think he's talking about
  • Reply 6 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Well, the civil war made clear that there are two parts in the US. That is some time ago though, but you still wouldn't call an Alabaman or a Texan a Yank. What DO you call them though? Klansmen maybe. Or confederalists, or something like that. Rednecks? Trailer trash, to refer to that other thread. You see, I was mainly looking for a qualifier to describe southern Americans as opposed to northern ones, and, possibly, at the same time, slip in some of the stereotyping that is going on in the world about the US south. Mainly looking to stir the ire of some southern supremacists around here. Ah well.

As for the statement that I'd be spreading a foreign policy based on fear, I would have to disagree. I think what I'm saying is that you needn't answer this violence with more violence and with threats (which a greater presence of US forces could be considered as). It has been said, by terrorists, as well as by leading intellectuals (such as myself) that the attacks this world has seen and is seeing, is due more to the (military) actions and stance taken by the US and its allies than by anything else, and what the US have done in Afghanistan and Iraq has not made for more world stability. Is this fear? I'd rather call it common sense. I have often wondered why exactly most of the US citizens are so unwilling to see the real lessons the US should be learning. In any case, the US' way of dealing with this crisis is effective only to provide US citizens with more and better grounded fear.
  • Reply 7 of 59
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    That may be the best/worst post I've ever read in my entire life.

Wow... just wow.
  • Reply 8 of 59
    Quote:

Mainly looking to stir the ire of some southern supremacists around here. Ah well.

considering Belgium's less than stellar history with slavery, Africa, aparteid and racism, I wouldn't go throwing stones.
  • Reply 9 of 59
    Shhh, BuonRotto, there is nothing more entertaining than such delusion!

LEAVE HIM ALONE! HE IS ON A ROLL!
  • Reply 10 of 59
    Quote:

considering Belgium's less than stellar history with slavery, Africa, aparteid and racism, I wouldn't go throwing stones.

I have never cloaked myself in robes and went out to hang and/or burn my fellow compatriots with a slightly different tone of skin. I have never enslaved anybody. I have never treated a black man any different than a white man, a yellow man, a green man or a snowman, so I do feel I am without sin, so I do feel I'm allowed to throw stones. How's that for reasoning, buon?

Moreover, I expressly address southern supremacists, who are, by the simple fact of being supremacist, with sin, and therefore deserve the stones I throw at them. In either case, did you feel I was speaking to you when I said what I said? Are you a southern supremacist?
  • Reply 11 of 59
    Quote:

I have never cloaked myself in robes and went out to hang and/or burn my fellow compatriots with a slightly different tone of skin. I have never enslaved anybody. I have never treated a black man any different than a white man, a yellow man, a green man or a snowman, so I do feel I am without sin, so I do feel I'm allowed to throw stones. How's that for reasoning, buon?

Moreover, I expressly address southern supremacists, who are, by the simple fact of being supremacist, with sin, and therefore deserve the stones I throw at them. In either case, did you feel I was speaking to you when I said what I said? Are you a southern supremacist?

Why do you address the American population as being composed "yanks" and "klansmen" then? If you only meant southern white supremacists, why add yanks too? Or did you forget to address the non-racist southern Americans? Or does that kind of person not exist as far as you're concerned? I'm defending southerners who you managed to lump together with bigots. I don't even understand why you introduced racism to the thread. Your intentions are curious, your diction dubious, and your accusations ludicrous.
  • Reply 12 of 59
    Quote:

your diction dubious

Well, if you are fluent in 5 languages, you are bound to spew dubious grammar now and then. Excuse me for confusing you.

As to all the other stuff: I guess I won't sleep any worse over it.
  • Reply 13 of 59
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    oh my dear god...

an alabaman would understand the use by foreigners of the term yank, an alabaman would string up (pun definitely intended) a foreigner is they were called a klansman (unless they actually were)...

remember the klan wasnt founded until about 1913... the white knights were founded after the civil war, but they were soon lost to the history books...
  • Reply 14 of 59
    I'll take that choice of words as an honest mistake then, right?
  • Reply 15 of 59
    Quote:

No, no, as I said, I was really looking to stir up some bar room brawl. The underlying assumption (which is not mine, yet which I did try to make clear) being that you have two kinds of Americans (normal ones - yanks - and stupid, mean ones - southerners).
  • Reply 16 of 59
    Uh, OK? Why? Why here, in this thread?
  • Reply 17 of 59
    Quote:

i feel we may be leaving out an important viewpoint to this topic. are there any southern white supremacists klansmen in this forum that could lend in any "color" comentary to the discusion at hand? rednecks feel free to join in as well. anybody? anybody?
  • Reply 18 of 59
    Quote:

Uh, OK? Why? Why here, in this thread?

In case you haven't noticed yet, The Head is a troll.
  • Reply 19 of 59
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Of course he means the klansmen = the US..just as we all know being European makes one a jew killing Nazi
  • Reply 20 of 59
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

blah, blah, blah......

As for the statement that I'd be spreading a foreign policy based on fear, I would have to disagree. I think what I'm saying is that you needn't answer this violence with more violence and with threats (which a greater presence of US forces could be considered as). It has been said, by terrorists, as well as by leading intellectuals (such as myself) that the attacks this world has seen and is seeing, is due more to the (military) actions and stance taken by the US and its allies than by anything else, and what the US have done in Afghanistan and Iraq has not made for more world stability. Is this fear? I'd rather call it common sense. I have often wondered why exactly most of the US citizens are so unwilling to see the real lessons the US should be learning. In any case, the US' way of dealing with this crisis is effective only to provide US citizens with more and better grounded fear.

That's right, soveriegn nations shouldn't be able to make treaties and defence agreements with other states, unless approved by Osama and his ilk.