Finding Nemo will be Pixar's first bomb...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well I don't think it will bomb, it will most likely make money but there is just something off about the whole ad campaign and the characters. There definitely isn't the buzz around LA like there has been with the other Pixar movies and for some reason these characters do not look like they are very marketable...i.e. toys/stuffed animals, etc.

I think this may be the least successful of all of the films so far.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 92
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I don't know about that. I know what you mean, there really isn't a huge demand for dolls of Fish, but it looks like a good movie. I plan on seeing it. I figure that if you have a good product, which I think they do, you can reach a great number of people in a good way. But I do know what you mean about all the hubub there was over Toy Story and Monsters Inc. it seems to be not as strong for this movie.
  • Reply 2 of 92
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    well, when i first heard about Finding Nemo I thought it would be a bomb.... just didnt sound up to par with their other movies and the story seemed overly "kiddy"

the trailer and commercials arent exactly stellar but from them I am very intrigued by the movie. For one, the animation is top notch. It literally looks awesome. And second, I think there will be a lot of humor on two levels, only this time, the lower kiddy level humor wont be as funny to the older crowd as it was in TS 1/2 and Monsters Inc and A Bug's Life.

So, we'll see. Pixar seems to have the golden touch. I'll be there for the digital presentation.
  • Reply 3 of 92
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    No way. This is guaranteed to be huge. There is a vast market for these types of movies. It just can't possibly fail. It may or may not have the legs of a Toy Story - that will depend on the reviews and the audience response. But it will make 100 million in its first week before any of that settles in anyway.
  • Reply 4 of 92
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I would expect it to come in around A Bug's Life, but not Toy Story 2 or anything that big. Apparently, some are worried because unlike Monsters, Inc. which catered more to kids' humor and something kids, especially young boys, were more into, this one might not appeal to them as much.

Also, unlike other Pixar films that came out around Thanksgiving, this one is coming out in the summer, in a season where last week's top-grossing movie is, well, last week's movie. I think it actually looks funnier to me than Monsters, Inc. was but I'm a grown-up so that might not be a good thing as far as Disney/Pixar is concerned.
  • Reply 5 of 92
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I don't know. They huge hype of Matrix 2 and Terminator 3 are over shadowing any other good movie. In the end it'll depend on how good the movie actually is because if it IS good then the kids that watch it will go over and over again. It's the Titanic recipe. And what better time than in the summer when they (kids K-5) are off from school.
  • Reply 6 of 92
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    People tend to underestimate the power of "G" and the kids movie market in general.

Toy Story grossed $192M

Toy Story 2 grossed $246M

Monster's, Inc. grossed $256M

I don't expect anything less than $220M, which would mean a nice little profit for a film which cost less than $100M to make and $30M to advertise.

Also consider this. Finding Nemo will be Pixar's first film released in the Summer, which means more ticket sales. See Shrek vs Monsters, Inc., though there were other distinctions between those two movies too.
  • Reply 7 of 92
    enaena Posts: 667member
    What totally blows me away is the rendering that they are doing "underwater", which they probably had to write their own software for---kinda like they way they had to do with Sulley's "hair." If I'm not mistaken this is another tour de force for at least the guys on the rendering farm.

As for the story----who knows----but it's gonna look like million dollars.
  • Reply 8 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

People tend to underestimate the power of "G" and the kids movie market in general.

Toy Story grossed $192M

Toy Story 2 grossed $246M

Monster's, Inc. grossed $256M

I don't expect anything less than $220M, which would mean a nice little profit for a film which cost less than $100M to make and $30M to advertise.

and remember kids pay half price and the majority of paid attendences are at matinee prices.
  • Reply 9 of 92
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

and remember kids pay half price and the majority of paid attendences are at matinee prices.

But think of all the kiddies in day care whose caretakers would love to be able to take them to a movie for a couple hours. Summer movies for kids are always a good idea.
  • Reply 10 of 92
    Quote:

Yeah but at least one adult has to take them
  • Reply 11 of 92
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    FWIW, we have a group of young employees who are planning a "family night at the movies" thing for our office. Guess what movie we're going to see?
  • Reply 12 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

Yeah but at least one adult has to take them

a) that's not true

b) and for the cases where it is true, the majority of attendence happens bsfore 6p.m. when most theatres offer lower prices, even for adults.
  • Reply 13 of 92
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    On the plus side..

it could always be used to torture Iraqi prisoners of war !
  • Reply 14 of 92
    Quote:

a) that's not true

b) and for the cases where it is true, the majority of attendence happens bsfore 6p.m. when most theatres offer lower prices, even for adults.

You can say this of any kid-oriented movie, not just "Finding Nemo". What are you saying? This particular movie will NOT be as popular? I'll tell you something. The Matrix is doing WAY better than it would have if the economy was good. What do you think all my laid off friends do while waiting for interview calls? It's a golden age for movie makers!
  • Reply 15 of 92
    Quote:

You can say this of any kid-oriented movie, not just "Finding Nemo". What are you saying? This particular movie will NOT be as popular? I'll tell you something. The Matrix is doing WAY better than it would have if the economy was good. What do you think all my laid off friends do while waiting for interview calls? It's a golden age for movie makers!

that was my point, if a children's movie does 200 million it's equivalent to a regular movie doing 300 million in terms of putting fannies in seats.

i didn't say how finding nemo would do. i'm looking forward to seeing it as are my children.

my point was simply when you look at children's movie grosses they have a disadvantage of having tickets that cost less. this makes the grosses listed from those movies listed even more fantastic!

i really think this will someday be looked at as the golden age of movies for children. i know it's better than when i was a kid. plus i think the quality of these movies has made attention span's longer. my 4 1/2 year old sat through "spirited away" which is over two hours.
  • Reply 16 of 92
    Quote:

that was my point, if a children's movie does 200 million it's equivalent to a regular movie doing 300 million in terms of putting fannies in seats.

i didn't say how finding nemo would do. i'm looking forward to seeing it as are my children.

my point was simply when you look at children's movie grosses they have a disadvantage of having tickets that cost less. this makes the grosses listed from those movies listed even more fantastic!

i really think this will someday be looked at as the golden age of movies for children. i know it's better than when i was a kid. plus i think the quality of these movies has made attention span's longer. my 4 1/2 year old sat through "spirited away" which is over two hours.

There's the point. You should have just said so.
  • Reply 17 of 92
    Quote:

it is what i said in my first post. eugene quoted the grosses for toy story, toy story 2, and monsters inc. and i added that most of the tickets bought weren't regular priced tickets.
  • Reply 18 of 92
    alex londonalex london Posts: 613member

He did. I am looking foward to seeing this film, all the cga films i've seen have been really excellent, intelligent films. (For this reason i avoided Dinosaur and Ice Age .) Pixar and Dreamworks have made some classic movies for kids and adults alike, not easy stuff.

edited to include outsiders quote.
  • Reply 19 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alex London

He did. I am looking foward to seeing this film, all the cga films i've seen have been really excellent, intelligent films. (For this reason i avoided Dinosaur and Ice Age .) Pixar and Dreamworks have made some classic movies for kids and adults alike, not easy stuff.

ice age is very good, very funny stuff, the dodo bird scene alone was worth price of admission. ("doom on you....doom on you") i can't speak on the nuances of animation in general, but i thought it looked real good.
  • Reply 20 of 92
    alex londonalex london Posts: 613member
    OK, I was visited by the curse of the trailer for Ice Age, and the subsequent clips of it I saw but to be fair I have heard very positive things from from my sisters and their kids so will I stop being silly and rent it.