Upcoming PB lineup...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
If anyone has been following some of the threads regarding the desperately-awaited 15" Al PB, and the current 17" you've probably read about all kinds of portability/performance needs, rumors about new models, complaints about video cards, etc.

But yesterday, I had this idea... not that I could really do much about it, but it just made a lot of sense to me... what if Apple released twice as many PB's as it currently has? I mean for each size, you'd get two different configurations to choose from, so the PB's could further accommodate to your specific budget, portability and performance needs. It dosen't seem to far from reality, does it? Check this out:

What if they release something like this?

12" PB's

Config 1:

867MHz PowerPC G4

256MB DDR266 SDRAM

40GB Ultra ATA/100

Config 2:

1 Ghz PowerPC G4

512MB DDR266 SDRAM

60GB Ultra ATA/100

15" (Al) PB's

Config1:

1GHz PowerPC G4

1MB L3 cache

512MB SDRAM

60GB Ultra ATA/66

Config 2:

1.2 GHz PowerPC G4

1MB L3 cache

512MB SDRAM

80GB Ultra ATA/66

17" PB's

Config 1:

1GHz PowerPC G4

1MB L3 cache

512MB SDRAM

60GB Ultra ATA/66

1.2 GHz PowerPC G4

1MB L3 cache

512MB SDRAM

80GB Ultra ATA/66

(these would of course include all the awesome extras we love so much ie. superdrive, light up keyboard, etc.)

See, this way they could drop the prices on the current models, and keep selling them, while introducing newer, better machines at current top-of-the-line prices. What do you think??? Does it seem viable?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    I remember the first thing Steve did when he came back to Apple...

But wait! Okay! Okay! The second thing he did... ...kill off the plethora of configurations/product divisions...

Let me think... The first was to axe the Newton... Rage transference from Sculley canning him...

;^p

(I couldn't help myself!)
  • Reply 2 of 42
    ransomedransomed Posts: 169member
    seems excessive, huh? Well, It's onlt two configuration per product... but, then again, read my signaure
  • Reply 3 of 42
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RANSOMED

seems excessive, huh? Well, It's onlt two configuration per product... but, then again, read my signaure

I like your sign. My I license it?
  • Reply 4 of 42
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Six PowerBook configs, in addition to the hardly different three iBook configs? Um, no.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Does the 12" PowerBook in this lineup have 256MB onboard?
  • Reply 6 of 42
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Six PowerBook configs, in addition to the hardly different three iBook configs? Um, no.

You also have to remember that Apple currently lets you pick optical drives, i.e. Combo- or SuperDrive. Retaining the choice of optical drive would lead to more than six different PowerBooks. I just want Apple to release a less crippled 12-inch PowerBook, i.e. with the power and ports of the 15-inch PowerBook.

Escher
  • Reply 7 of 42
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    That's exactly right. Although, at the moment, I'm pretty much going with the new 15" aluminum PowerBook, I'd LOVE to save $400-700 and simply get the 12" version instead (with DVI, cache, maybe the light-up keys, etc.) and have a truly small, light portable (SuperDrive equipped, no less) and just hook it to a 20" Cinema Display when at home.

• Reply 8 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I like your sign. My I license it?

sure, Einstein quotes are some of my favorites
  • Reply 9 of 42
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I think the PB lineup could stand some price drops. That's fairly hard to believe, but the 12" is the only truly sweet price-performance offering there, look at the timed tests, it comes close enough to the L3 equipped 15" 867 as makes no difference. Weird huh.

As good as they are, the 15 and 17 are in dangerously high priced territory. Up to a few months ago there were no challengers, but with the advent of Centrino X86, PC notebooks are a LOT closer to the mark, they've even exceeded it on a few points, and comparably spec'd offerings are undercutting the 15 by quite a bit.

The 12 is great, but it does not excuse the lack of a 2K 15" model, right where the Centrino hits beautifully with power AND battery life to spare. Apple can't really sit comfortably in laptop land any more. Prices have to start dropping there too.

I say

drop the 12" down to 1799 with Superdrive

slot a 15" al book in at 1999 with combodrive

a 15" Al book at 2399 with superdrive and more HD space/VRAM

and

drop the 17" down to 2999-3099.

Wintel is right there at Apple's doorstep, threatening to knock it down.

AS for the iBooks.

2 models only.

14" widescreen a la Pscates' gorgeous mock-up

999, DVD-rom

1299, Combo.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I'll agree to that!
  • Reply 11 of 42
    musicaltonemusicaltone Posts: 189member
    Isnt 2 versions of the 15 what we have already? Would seem only logical for Apple to continue this in future. Where is the revolution?
  • Reply 12 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by musicaltone

Isnt 2 versions of the 15 what we have already? Would seem only logical for Apple to continue this in future. Where is the revolution?

see? I'm not the only crazy one... two configs per size would seem resonable, no?
  • Reply 13 of 42
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    sounds good to me matsu...of course if apple does exactly that i still expect to see you here at AI the next day asking for lower prices...

g
  • Reply 14 of 42
    we must rememerb an old sales tactic... a higher price tag means 'quality' to a certain consumer. People generally think 'if it's expensive, it must be a good product' I think Apple has managed to keep us seeing their computers as top-notch throughout the years.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    How about three standard configurations (12", 15", 17"), but with more BTO options for each one? For example, BTO:

HD size/rpm

optical drive

RAM

MHz doesn't need to be BTO IMO. So you get to choose between 1 GHz and 1.2 GHz--big deal, it's not like a G3 vs. G4 vs. 970. Most people can't even tell a 15-20% MHz difference, and for a laptop, I'd personally care more about HD speed and RAM than a few MHz.

--

Uhhhh.....I just checked the Apple store, and there are options for BTO on all the items I listed above! All that's left is CPU and video chipset. There's only a 15% difference in CPU speed, not very significant, so only video chipset is left.

It would be nice if Apple would BTO different video chipsets on laptops, but this would be expensive to do since they're soldered on. As is, the powerbooks are well equipped for screen size, and Apple even offers a choice on the 15" model.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

It would be nice if Apple would BTO different video chipsets on laptops, but this would be expensive to do since they're soldered on.

This is no longer true across all lines. The graphics chipset on the two new PowerBooks is on a daughtercard, which makes it much easier for Apple to switch chipset generations (and vendors!) and which also opens a possible upgrade/BTO market.

Wait for the new 15" before Apple does anything like that, though. It would be simpler if that kind of BTO was simply a PowerBook feature, no ifs, ands or buts.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    I think the video on the 12" isnt on a daughter board, havent seen anything about the 17", but I doubt that as well.

All this thread points out is that Apple's manufacturing is inadequete.

The idea of having 3 variants of each machine is great, for the shops. A buyer can walk in and choose from a clearly defined scale how much they want to spend, and not have any decisions to make. Its great for sales people.

This is coupled with BTO for experienced buyers. Unfortunately BTO basically lets you add more RAM. Not really very flexible.

In the case of the powerbooks, the defining factor is the screen. I should be able to go to the BTo, choose my screen ( the three shop configs provide the basis ), and then mix and match the other features to my hearts content.

I want a 12" PB, with fast video, and an L3 cache. Those sorts of thing should be BTO. I wouldnt mind if they were hidden in an advanced section.

This stuff applies just as equally to the iMac, the eMac, and the PowerMac. The iBook has such a simply line up that its not really affected.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

This is no longer true across all lines. The graphics chipset on the two new PowerBooks is on a daughtercard, which makes it much easier for Apple to switch chipset generations (and vendors!) and which also opens a possible upgrade/BTO market.

Wait for the new 15" before Apple does anything like that, though. It would be simpler if that kind of BTO was simply a PowerBook feature, no ifs, ands or buts.

Cool! This is so awesome, now Apple can BTO the video chipset, and maybe PB owners can even upgrade their video cards!

I'm becoming terminally attracted to that 12" Powerbook. It's just too much......I'm going to have watch myself around banks and armored trucks until this lust dies down.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I seriously doubt it will be easy or cost-effective to replace your graphics chip on one of the new PowerBooks. It was probably put on a separate board just for Apple's internal use - it would make repairs quicker and cheaper. But even if it was easy to replace the internal graphics, Apple would never, ever support it. They might even put in firmware to prevent the use of upgraded graphics.

These days, Apple wants you to use their products exactly as they intended them to be used. A number of widespread standards are simply not making it into Macs because Apple doesn't deem them "worthy" or something, like USB 2. If we don't even get USB 2, a feature present on just about every PC these days, then I seriously doubt we'll get any form of graphics upgradability. Currently, I think Dell is the only one that provides graphics upgrades for laptops, and even then it only applies to their top-of-the-line models. You can get a GeForce 4MX for an Inspiron 8100, for example.

Maybe some company will come up with graphics upgrade kits (or send-in services that don't void your warranty) eventually, but I have a feeling that it'll be more cost-effective to just replace the entire computer.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

I think the PB lineup could stand some price drops.

- Mr Predictable