Anyone want to share their iTunes Libraries?

Comments

• Reply 341 of 365
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nevyn

grep is searching the list of _all_ open files for "mp3". Maybe some of your music doesn't have filename extensions? Or it's some other format leading to a different name?

All my files have extensions, and it's working now so apparently I just presumed activity when it wasn't there... Thanks for chiming in, I'm Terminal-Stupid, so I appreciate any help I can get
  • Reply 342 of 365
    dirksdirks Posts: 16member
    I'm trying again to share: 62.163.181.138. Appreciate the response!!
  • Reply 343 of 365
    a@rona@ron Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DirkS

I'm trying again to share: 62.163.181.138. Appreciate the response!!

No such luck. Anyone got a "how to" for port forwarding on an Airport Basestation. I want to share my music but I need to forward the port first, I think.

A@ron
  • Reply 344 of 365
    dirksdirks Posts: 16member
    I might have found 'how to'. I truly hope so: 62.163.181.138

It's in another thread (Anyone want to share their iTunes Libraries?) and posted by torifile. I have done it, and sure hope it works. Again, confirmation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, also to torifile!! _
  • Reply 345 of 365
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    hahahahahahahahahahahaha

see page 2 for a 'how to'

anyone want to share indeed
  • Reply 346 of 365
    Quote:

Originally posted by DirkS

I might have found 'how to'. I truly hope so: 62.163.181.138

Again, confirmation would be greatly appreciated.

i was able to connect just fine
  • Reply 347 of 365
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I've got four people on my library right now... it was five earlier. Unless most of them are idling, they've all got to be getting lousy performance since even on broadband I can only upload a max of 256Kbits/sec.

Rebuffering... Rebuffering... Rebuffering...

It would be nice if I could set a limit lower than the built-in max of 5 people sharing my library. Like, oh, I dunno... 1? Of course, over a home network 5'll work just fine.
  • Reply 348 of 365
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    bump
  • Reply 349 of 365
    is there any way to find out if people are stealing your music rather then just listening to it?
  • Reply 350 of 365
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    good question paul...since iSuck has come out i have been thinking of adding a password to my iTunes...i haven't yet just because i haven't been on iTunes as much lately...

how many have added password protection to their iTunes library since iSuck and the others have cropped up??

g
  • Reply 351 of 365
    a@rona@ron Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

good question paul...since iSuck has come out i have been thinking of adding a password to my iTunes...i haven't yet just because i haven't been on iTunes as much lately...

how many have added password protection to their iTunes library since iSuck and the others have cropped up??

g

Not telling anyone that I condone the actions of people or that I use these programs like iSuck. However, there is no way to fully protect your iTunes shares that are on the net unless you use www.shareitunes.com, because they hide your ip address (but it can still be found through sniffing traffic). Adding a password will do nothing but keep the newbies out that are using iSuck or iLeech. There are different programs that will allow you to enter a password and will do the same as iSuck, in fact you can even use the perl scripts if you really wanted to. If you are worried about people stealing your music without your knowledge it's very simple. Either don't share it on the internet period or just give a few friends the ip and not post it anywhere like serverstore.

A@ron
  • Reply 352 of 365
    i added one...
  • Reply 353 of 365
    I too shut down my sharing-but it's back up and password protected. Look down for password. Whoppee!
  • Reply 354 of 365
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

is there any way to find out if people are stealing your music rather then just listening to it?

The thing is, there's no difference from your perspective.

At the user end, the user is playing the MP3 from your computer while it is downloading. In one senario (what you call "listening") they are not saving the data to their HDD while it is downloading. In the other senario, they are saving it.

You can't tell what they're doing, because from your computer's perspective there's no difference.

Barto
  • Reply 355 of 365
    well... i guess there IS a difference... because now it is shutdown...

torrifile can you edit out my IP from your post?

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...504#post348504
  • Reply 356 of 365
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Game over. No more quarters.
  • Reply 357 of 365
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    HI

I can't connect to anyones library. always get a cannot find server error. what am i doing wrong.

I am still using itunes 4.0.

please help
  • Reply 358 of 365
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

torrifile can you edit out my IP from your post?

I took care of it.
  • Reply 359 of 365
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    There still isn't a difference Paul. This update probably does very little to prevent saving to disc music using iLeech, to do that the underlying technology would have to be changed.

All this download stops is people from sharing music outside their LAN. And sharing means both downloading and playing AND downloading and saving.

Barto
  • Reply 360 of 365
    what i was getting at was the fact that people saving my music DID make a difference to me because it caused apple to change their software

thanks brad