Need convincing on 17'' powerbook!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi all,

A guy i know is getting me a 17'' powerbook refurb at a price of £2200, i can buy it through work so i pay no VAT. The final price i will be paying out is £1900 ish.

Im seeling my current G4 867 etc and putting up the difference in cash.

Now im a designer and im used to my 17'' moniter. A need to be convinced that the i will be able to work on the 17 powerbook screen and have enough 'horse power' to do my photoshop, flash work. Ill be using it at home and at work (NT network).

Whats the keyboard like when using shortcuts in photoshop etc, are the keys too small/close? will this sloe me down?

concince me!!!

cheers

MArk

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I use a 15" 1Ghz, and I have it connected to a second display (18" LCD). I do some pretty intense graphics work, mostly illustration type stuff, lots of 3D. I have 1GB of RAM and it seems to work pretty well.

Of course, I also have a normal keyboard, but I actually prefer the feel of the one on the powerbook.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    It's a full size keyboard, and a high resolution screen. I can't see why it would slow you down, but I have no experience in serious graphics work.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    There are no option and ctrl keys on the right side of the keyboard. It's frustrating if you're used to the Apple Pro Keyboard, but you get used to it.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    And, for home use, you can always attach a standalone, full-sized USB keyboard of your liking to it, right? The best thing about laptops, especially the 15" and 17" PowerBooks: power and screen real estate to pretty much be your sole computer, and allow for hooking up keyboards, external displays, etc. to for home use. BUT, all that power/features folds up and goes with you when you need it.

I couldn't imagine, in a gazillion years, someone having trouble with the keyboard or screen size of the 17" PowerBook.

\
  • Reply 5 of 14
    alecralecr Posts: 33member
    The screen real estate and the power of the computer are more then enough for all of my graphics needs. I immediately upgraded to 1GB of ram and have had no issues. The keyboard is fine except for the bottom row. I have still am not comfortable with the smaller keys but I am sure that will pass. I also have to use an external mouse when working with photoshop.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    I have a 15inch and just like splinemodel I kick my 15's a$$ and it keeps ticking, I do a lot of compositing and 3d, as well as design for print and some web, but mainly just final cut pro, and lots of it. I only have 512 but its working great. now as soon as I can afford one of those betacam DV solid state decks....

the 17 will be great dude, and the screen is huge. trust me on this one you'll like it. Its not as portible as the 15 but still you'll have the ability to work wherever you want too, and all we all know (designers) that having the ability to work when/where it inspires you is wonderful.

-Craig
  • Reply 7 of 14
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MARK_L

Hi all,

A guy i know is getting me a 17'' powerbook refurb at a price of £2200, i can buy it through work so i pay no VAT. The final price i will be paying out is £1900 ish.

Now im a designer and im used to my 17'' moniter. A need to be convinced that the i will be able to work on the 17 powerbook screen and have enough 'horse power' to do my photoshop, flash work. Ill be using it at home and at work (NT network).

Whats the keyboard like when using shortcuts in photoshop etc, are the keys too small/close? will this sloe me down?

concince me!!!

cheers

MArk

Save your money and buy a good dictionary and spell checker instead.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

Save your money and buy a good dictionary and spell checker instead.

Hey, go easy on him. It looks like he's from the UK.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    mark_lmark_l Posts: 39member
    Thanks for the replys guys, apart from Junkyard Dawg

, maybe you should get your daddys dick out your mouth before you try and speak.

cheers!
  • Reply 10 of 14
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Hi all,

concince me!!!

cheers

MArk

For the screen, it will make a small difference with your current screen (CRT or LCD, in case of CRT, the screen will be bigger)

For the benchmarks, the powerbook 17 has approximatively the same performance than a 933 powermac.

It's a very good buy for your job. I have only one thing to say, go visit your retailor ...
  • Reply 11 of 14
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Quote:

Thanks for the replys guys, apart from Junkyard Dawg

, maybe you should get your daddys dick out your mouth before you try and speak.

cheers!

Before doing that I'll have to get my mouth off your mommy's beaver.

• Reply 12 of 14
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Just wait until the 17 laptop gets a proper cpu and a price cut.

That should hopefully make your mind up.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 13 of 14
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Some people here have a real attitude problem... Even the mod.

Jeez.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    curiously, i tend to agree with LemonBonBon on this one...

wait for the Rev. B model of the 17 if you can. Rev. As have historically been buggy.

bug fixes and manufacturing tweaks inevitably improve PBs over time,

and aside from small bumps in pixels, CPU, new GPU, and the light-up keyboard, not much to jump for (given we know the 970 is coming) and the 15 is overdue for a bump

if this is a once-in-a-lifetime price on the 17, you'll have to decide,

but patience may pay better