DJ iPod:: 2 spinwheels and a microphone?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/76293.htm

apple rumored to be making a pro ipod for Djs

I think an ipod with TWO wheels on it for pros would be hi-larious and probably loads of fun.

post you mock ups here!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    i think they should enable the recording function before we get any new versions of the ipod!

i think dj's could use this more than anything else.

keep using vinyl and be able to record their set!

this is what i'm waiting for!
  • Reply 2 of 34
    commonsensecommonsense Posts: 111member
    It's the NY Post. Think of what MacOSRumors would be like if they tried to take on general-purpose journalism. You'd have the NY Post.

Some drugged-out clubgoer said they thought they might've heard a rumor about something like a DJ version of an iPod. For the NY Post, this is a credible source.

Nothing to see here, folks.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    sorry, thought this was a rumor board. my mistake.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CommonSense

Nothing to see here, folks.

While a dual spinwheel iPod seems cool, I don't think Apple will make this. But how about someone made a "DJ-dock" with a couple of spinwheels, crossfade and other thinks that you may need when you're a DJ (I haven't got a clue). Would be cool as there seem to be many DJ's out there using the iPod as a way to get rid of the "jewel-case-hell" and large LP-cases.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    I really wouldn't see the point. These days if you aren't using vinyl it's just a laptop at the center. An iPod would only reduce your options.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Where its at.. I got ...
  • Reply 7 of 34
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

I really wouldn't see the point. These days if you aren't using vinyl it's just a laptop at the center. An iPod would only reduce your options.

moby uses cd spin tables

or at least they came back from one of his tours...not sure if he actually used it or not, though i'd assume
  • Reply 8 of 34
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

moby uses cd spin tables

So does the De La Soul DJ...
  • Reply 9 of 34
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

So does the De La Soul DJ...

awesome, haha i want one
  • Reply 10 of 34
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    the pioneer cdj decks are really nice!

i still think we just need to be able to record with our ipod's!

i've been using mini-disc for this and it's not the most elegant solution!

i'd much prefer recording direct to disk!
  • Reply 11 of 34
    jaredjared Posts: 639member

Quote:

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

-Albert Einstein

So, it is a pretty bad mock up but hey. The way I think of a DJ iPod is that it is just a little bit wider then the current one. It holds two hard drives. In the preferences you set which one is the first one, and which is the second. The SWITCH button in the middle would switch from the first iPod to the second, and you would use the buttoms at the bottom accordingly.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Does anyone know if that's the same Sarah Gilbert who was on Roseanne?
  • Reply 13 of 34
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    any dj worth their salt would need more than just a 'switch' button

try a full set of equalizer sliders for each source, and a crossfader
  • Reply 14 of 34
    here's a strange idea.

strect the top of te ipod. put a wheel above the current screen of the ipod. then turn the screen 90 so its all handled width wise (a scroll wheel on each side)

its would be more like a prosumer type sampler.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    a@rona@ron Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

here's a strange idea.

strect the top of te ipod. put a wheel above the current screen of the ipod. then turn the screen 90 so its all handled width wise (a scroll wheel on each side)

its would be more like a prosumer type sampler.

Or just build this sort of functionality into a larger iPod base. It seems that it would be wise not to exclude the current market of DJs that use iPods to store and play music. In addition, it would seem this rumor and the other rumor of advanced iPod bases would neatly coincide in this manner. If I was Apple thats the way I would do it... why spend more money on manufacturing a new line of iPods when you can manufacture a base and keep the current lineup simple, this would help keep cost down (and thereby margins up).

A@ron
  • Reply 16 of 34
    if they did build one. what color?

white is obvious but i could definatly see the case for titanium gray.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    the wizthe wiz Posts: 28member
    Or....maybe they'll just come out with features like this that are software-controlled in the next firmware update. This would seem like the best option..
  • Reply 18 of 34
    hmmmm...

you mean with the new base and the new bottom connector.

that and the new softare would do nicely.

i wonder if there are any mixing tables that have a fireware port coming out of them.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    What about a center station, with a crossfader/equalizer/scratch pad? You could have several presets so that on top of scratching it could warp/transform the sound, switching between sounds/scratch styles with ease.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Why on earth would Apple do this? The market would be extremely small. I could see a peripheral manu coming out with something like this, but Apple? Come on...