Frank discussion about being overweight and losing it?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    I go up and down myself with weight. What has worked for me is the following:

Do not drink sodas. Period. Sure if you are at a social event you can have one. Drink tea with no sugar.

If you buy milk buy fat free milk.

Stop eating fried foods. No french fries, no chips.

Do not eat bread!!!! If you do let it be during breakfast but the more bread you cut out the more weight you will lose.

Eat lean meats and eat fish.

Eat greens like spinach, green beens, etc.

No cookies or ice cream!!!

No butter! olive oil is better.

Get more active. Go for walks at a brisk pace for 30 mins at least three times a week.

Do some weight training. Streatch. Do arms legs etc. Do crunches.

This has always helped me get to where I would rather be.

Fellowship
  • Reply 22 of 46
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

For losing weight, it's a pretty basic equation, with calories taken in on one side and calories expended on the other. In general, if you want to lose weight, you need to get rid of 3500 calories per pound you want to lose. So if you want to lose 20 pounds, you have to subtract 70,000 calories.

that is the theory. if you go to under 1200 kcal / day, your body will go most likely to starvation mode. that means you can eat 600 kcal or 1000 kcal day and still get FATTER. so stay over 1200 kcal whatever you do.. exagerating will of course make you lose more, but ... swimming 1 mile and riding 10-30 miles on a bike a day (every day) and on the same time skipping breakfast, lunch and dinner will make you lose weight but most likely your friends and relatives will freak out with that, and you will ruin your body fast.

i'd suggest you just cut away the fat. nothing fried, no butter etc. (leaving 10 g of all fats a day, not added if it probably is already in the stuff you eat).
  • Reply 23 of 46
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    I take it the "starvation mode" is where your body deliberately slows down. You become lethargic, low energy level, low motivation to get active. So even though you are starving yourself with low caloric intake, your body decides to consume even less calories for daily operations, so you still end up with excesses getting stored as fat (barring extreme examples such as starving to the point of acute malnutrition).
  • Reply 24 of 46
    mileswhomileswho Posts: 23member
    Powerdoc said...

"First of all, you must be in good mood in order to loose your weight. Not worth to try something if you are not OK. This point is essential. If you are anxious for various problems it won't work. Your mind must be free."

Tis true. Stress increases the release of a hormone called cortisol, which increases hunger and visceral fat deposition (decreases the release, or breakdown of fat). Basically, if you're stressed, you will be more hungry, and more likely to deposit fat around the midsection (the proverbial tire around the waste).

BRussell said...

"I don't buy the distinction people make between sugar vs. fat vs. other types of calories, as far as losing weight. I think that's basically trying to find some secret gimmick. In the end, a calorie is a calorie. To the extent people lose weight on Atkins or Sugar Busters or whatever, they're losing it because they're taking in less calories."

To some extent, this is true. In the late 80s and early 90s, when there was a surge in the "low-fat diet", many people actually gained weight because they ate too many carbs (which are converted to, and stored as fat). However, if I am trying to lose weight, I'd rather derive my calories from protein rather than carbs. A disproportionate increase in carbohydrate consumption may lead to a condition akin to diabetes.

But be careful with the Atkins...a diet composed primarily of protein may be deficient in essential vitamins and minerals, or may also lead to metabolic acidosis (a decrease in the blood pH, which may have unpleasant side effects).

Also, don't underestimate the importance of exercise! Aside from burning calories, changes the sensitivity to important hormones that regulate hunger and fat deposition.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    Now we're getting into the juicy tidbits of info! Great input from all!

Doesn't meat also enhance dopamine production, which ends up enhancing physical activity?
  • Reply 26 of 46
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

[/B]

simple: exercise, protien and not crap food . . . . but excise till it hurts and then start exercising
  • Reply 27 of 46
    for burning more calories... have more sex. if you feel hungry, go to bed (and have sex, don't eat there) .. that should also keep you in good mood.
  • Reply 28 of 46
    Sounds like a good idea, but are you KRAZY?! Have you ever propositioned a girl who was "dieting", on a severe sugar crash, and a hair-trigger away from clawing your eyes out? Irritable girls don't respond to the sexing, I tell you!

That brings up an urgent predicament, though. If dieting makes girls irritable, and irritable girls don't like the sexing, and sexing makes the good mood, and good mood leads to staying on the diet, how do you make the girls stay on the diet?
  • Reply 29 of 46
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Actually..since no one has mentioned it.....I will.

S E X S E X S E X S E X

That doesn't mean just thinking about it or spanking the Monkey..but fully fledged triathalon S E X....with at least half an hour of wrestling...in Jello....if you must.....But your not allowed to eat any OK...!

S E X E R C I S E is a real good mood alterer as well as an all over muscle toner.....& its a fun way to burn the calories...

Actually its an interesting way to eat strawberries ...too
  • Reply 30 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

Sounds like a good idea, but are you KRAZY?! Have you ever propositioned a girl who was "dieting", on a severe sugar crash, and a hair-trigger away from clawing your eyes out? Irritable girls don't respond to the sexing, I tell you!

That brings up an urgent predicament, though. If dieting makes girls irritable, and irritable girls don't like the sexing, and sexing makes the good mood, and good mood leads to staying on the diet, how do you make the girls stay on the diet?

well ihave obviously NEVER proposed ANY girl to have sex (i like guys). hm, maybe guys would act differently (never say no?)? or maybe you could propose them that they will be better shaped as well... you could try to suggest them that you both will be in better shape (if you attack only her she could not like it) .. as all the women's magazines give me headache with all the brainless diet stuff, try telling her you read somewhere in a scientific magazine that sex would be the most perfect way to lose weight / get rid of celluite / turn tuned etc. hmm.. maybe it'll be interesting to see how a guy reacts if the girl tries this "anytime you are hungry, have sex"-method...

strawberries? sounds good. no whipped cream please.. :and if you want a salty round, try wasabi. smokey:
  • Reply 31 of 46
    Well in that case, guys already have enough problems getting the amount of sex that they want in the first place. So if you are an overweight guy (possibly unattractive to the opposite sex, as a result), that can't make the sex acquisition situation any better, AFAICT. So maybe what all that is saying is that womenkind is at fault for all men being fat for not doing "their part" for humanity? :P Of course, it isn't unusual at all for the starving lover of foods to actually choose foods over sex... It's a close call in that situation, and that should tell you something!

A girl with a healthy aspiration for sex is always a good thing, though! To that effect, I give you the Kudos cookie!
  • Reply 32 of 46
    So we've covered some "Do's". Now what are some common diet misconceptions that end up becoming "Do nots"? What are some things that you've tried in the past that seemed like a good idea at the time, but ended up burning you as the end result? How about popular dietary aids (stuff in a bottle) that turned out to be useless?
  • Reply 33 of 46
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Good thread. I've put on another 10 pounds in the last year. Also I'm working on my third beer since dinner, two hotdogs and potato chips. I'm still within 20 pounds of my weight from highschool though. Okay maybe 30.

Most everyone has hit on the basics. What you eat. How much you eat. Activity level. My activity sunk in the last year. New job, new location, less bike ridding.

When I went home for x-mass my mother's scale was 10 pounds heavy. So I got a shock that later turned out to a bit false. So I made some changes. I work in a hospital now and the patients bring in food all the time. So I swore off what I call "Clinic food". Mostly junk. The key for me is to not get started on it. If I take one homemade cookie I may as well eat the whole fscking thing. I have no self control once I get started. So my goal is to not get started.

I do have self control when I go shopping. I can look at the isle of cookies and think "no thanks". Looking at 50 feet of cookies is enough to make me walk away. Also when I hit the produce section I think "this is what I want" and buy as much as I like. If I buy something, like cookies, I'll eat it in no time. If I don't buy it I don't eat it.

At lunch I swore off fast food. I think I got some maybe 6 times since new years. Rather good. If I go get some I try to trash the fries and eat the rest.

One the down side I eat out much more than I used to. I used to take my meal, cut in half and take it home. Maybe I should get back to that? Also I think I get too many beers when I go out. Two or three at least. I should cut back to one.

The missing part is my activity level. Summer is here and wife and I got back on our bikes but it's not enough, weekends only. I need to find something I like to do year round that will burn some fat and keep my heart in shape? Hummmm?
  • Reply 34 of 46
    That's a good point. I've noticed that the meal portions in a lot of restaurants are waaaaay too big. Even the lunch portions can be quite excessive (especially if you're eating sizes like that everyday for lunch). It's good to give you a good full feeling (and perceptionally give you your "money's worth"), but calorie-wise, these portions are like MOAB's. You can't really blame them, though. If they made the portions smaller, people would complain about getting ripped-off and that they are just too small. So you just got to exercise *A LOT* of self-control and realize that you shouldn't eat the whole thing right there. Plan ahead of time that you will be taking the rest home in a doggy bag.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    Hummm? Maybe that ties in with my ability to maintain control before I get started. That is if before I take one bite of a restaurant meal I cut in half to take it home then there's no trouble stopping at half. If I eat and think "I'll take half home" then it's too late. I used to stop eating when I got full. What's changed? Stress? Depression? Old age?
  • Reply 36 of 46
    Food is just plain pleasurable. As difficult it is to seek and find gratification these days, food is just waiting there to be eaten at will. If you could have a neverending orgasm or permanent cocaine high, would you ever want to stop it? It's just human nature in a world that is utterly riddled with stress and antagonism.

Personally, I don't think food is deadly enough! If they could make a special chocolate pie slice where you could eat 4 slices in one sitting and not die, but if you eat a 5th slice, you die...you know I would be first in line to eat a 5th slice. You don't get fat, you don't suffer medical problems later in life, you just die. I have a feeling there would be people in a long line right behind me.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    See I'm not into eating like that. I think those kinds of diets are bunk.
  • Reply 38 of 46
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Hmm. Whatever works for you, but I dunno about that diet, Tonton. Depending on what you put in the salad, there's very little fiber, too little protein, and most of the calories are from processed carbs and sugars. You should never be afraid of lean meats (chicken and, especially, fish) and fats and fiber will slow your digestion and help you feel satiated, longer. "Real" veggies (not lettuce) and some fruits will add micronutrients, as well as fiber.

Towel's suggestions for healthy living would probably be:

1. Exercise. Exercise. Exercise. Preferably doing something you enjoy, so you'll do it more.

2. If you can recognize the plant or animal it came from, it's probably not too bad for you.

3. Avoid iced tea and fruit juices, and for God's sake, no soda. Drink OJ, 1% milk, and lots of water. Occasional tea or coffee (easy on the sugar) for a kick.

4. Everything in moderation.

Some of my favorite foods are strawberries, spinach, beans (garbanzo, white, black), squash, and sweet potatoes. Foods that are high in fiber and protein, and rich in micronutrients (and yummy). I eat fats, but good fats - canola and olive oils (try Smart Balance instead of butter), lots of fish. I'm a sucker for cheese, but at least there you get calcium and protein with your saturated fat. I've been staying away from white potatoes, white bread, and white pasta. All carb with no fiber or fat makes for a blood sugar spike almost as bad as a 32oz Coke. If I do all this, I don't feel bad eating the occasional evil "commerially baked good".
  • Reply 39 of 46
    fangornfangorn Posts: 323member
    I don't understand the ban on bread. Is this only white bread or all bread? I make my own bread, always some form of whole wheat and substitute honey or molasses for white sugar.

And it was my understanding that complex carbs (like brown rice, beans and whole grains) are good for you because they take longer to break down and so you don't get the spike that you get from simple carbs aka sugar.

I am on day three without any candy or ice cream. This is my "make or break" day. If I can just get through, the chain will be broken, at least until I succumb again. The worst thing for me is the check out lane in the grocery store (which I seem to visit everyday\ ). That rack of candy just seems to call to me: come on, you deserve it! One candy bar won't hurt you!
  • Reply 40 of 46
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fangorn

And it was my understanding that complex carbs (like brown rice, beans and whole grains) are good for you because they take longer to break down and so you don't get the spike that you get from simple carbs aka sugar.

The terminology is confusing. "Complex carbs" usually means starch, which is a bunch of sugar molecules linked in a chain. In your gut, they get broken down and absorbed into your blood as sugar. If you eat pure starch (say, white bread or a russett potato) it doesn't take much longer to absorb than simple sugar. You get a blood sugar spike that's thought to be bad for your metabolism and that will soon leave you hungry again.

The foods you mentioned, though, are not pure starch, but have a healthy dose of fibers thrown in, too. Fiber slows the digestion of starches, stretching out the blood sugar spike into a nice plateau. So they're thought to be much better for you (and your weight) than regular complex carbs. I guess a distinction is made between processed grains and whole grains, but I'm not aware of a catch-all phrase for brown rice, beans, and whole grains.