Is it time to redefine the concept of Europe ?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Watching Turkey win the Eurovision contest made me think that the old model of what constitutes "Europe " might be in need for an overhaul..

Turkey was included in the song contest as was Israel..

So if that is the case, why not Algiers, Morocco, Lybia, Egypt, Syria, lebanon, Tunisia, etc..after all they all border the mediterranean right ?

And Russia was included, even though Russia is seen as geographically straddling Europe & Asia..( a cute distinction.. since there is no real land division between Europe & Asia...)

And since Russia shares a border with China..then why not China..& a host of middle eastern countries..?

Lets face it, Europe ain't what it used to be.

Maybe it's time to ditch it & call it something in keeping with the Eurasian continental land mass..something all encompassing..& recognised across that giant landmass...?

Hmmmm Big Mac ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Why not Worldvision then?
  • Reply 2 of 41
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I don't agree with you, there, aquafire. All the countries that are in the festival (with the one exception of Israel, but I should get back to that later) are part of what is geographically known as Europe: Running from the west coast (Portugal, Spain, France, Belgium, Holland, Scandinavia) + the isles (UK, Ireland, Iceland) to the eastern geographical border of the Ural mountain range. Moskou is geographically part of Europe, as is Kiev (Ukraine), the entire Balkan and Istanbul (Turkey), although 99% of Turkey is actually geographically part of Asia. No exceptions there. Turkey being part of Europe is, in fact, a fairly hot topic these days, as the EU is in the process of trying to decide whether Turkey should ever be viewed as a candidate to join the Union.

As to Israel, I think most of that is due to the mental participation of Israelis in Europe. Most Israelis are former citizens of Euroland, or the children thereof, and therefore the ties are still close.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Europe is just Asia's wang, like Florida is America's wang.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

Europe is just Asia's wang, like Florida is America's wang.

Oh yes, obviously europeans looks like asian, at least the one coming from asia.

Outsider : this is not your best post.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Sure let's redefine it.

Any democratic country that displays ridiculous hypocrisy and a zeal for over regulation will now be considered part of Europe.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Russia and Turkey are important 21st century countries. European countries are not particularly important, becoming less so going forward. Therefore it does not seem sensible to group important countries with countries who are essentially retired from the world scene.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Sure let's redefine it.

Any democratic country that displays ridiculous hypocrisy and a zeal for over regulation will now be considered part of Europe.

Good to hear that USA is now part of Europe
  • Reply 8 of 41
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Sure let's redefine it.

Any democratic country ...

And I guess you´ll be happy when I tell you US doesn´t qualify then?
  • Reply 9 of 41
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Damn doc. Spoiling my joke with yours
  • Reply 10 of 41
    Well I guess we are a republic but more to the point is the other criteria that don't fit us. Although lawyers are pushing us toward a ridiculous regulation of sorts.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Oh yes, obviously europeans looks like asian, at least the one coming from asia.

Outsider : this is not your best post.

While I admit not the best, it is up there near the middle. Don't they show the Simpsons in France??
  • Reply 12 of 41
    I thought it was funny. Maybe that's a "bad" thing?
  • Reply 13 of 41
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Well I guess we are a republic but more to the point is the other criteria that don't fit us. Although lawyers are pushing us toward a ridiculous regulation of sorts.

Iraq was a republic too, under Saddam. And your government is undoubtably hypocritical too.

What's your point?
  • Reply 14 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

Iraq was a republic too, under Saddam. And your government is undoubtably hypocritical too.

What's your point?

Uhh? Yea. QED. Thanks.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    My god, haven't you all got something more to add than this load of old bollocks...?

Feels like I've wandered into a 4th grade debating class. Be very ashamed of yourselves.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    Go away.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Why? I'm a European- what are you? Do you have some insight into this, or has a misguided belief that your post-count is some substitute for understanding turned your brain to mush?
  • Reply 18 of 41
    Because I said so. 'merican! Yes, no.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    I'm sure you're far from representative of the average (or even well-below-average) level of intelligence here on this board, so I'll merely excuse and ignore your little effort....

Next........
  • Reply 20 of 41
    QED. Thanks for playing.