My car feels small now

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Wow. I had to rent a full size car to haul some stuff from Vermont back home. Got set up with a Grand Marquis for a week. "Big" car. Not as big as the '70 Cadillac I used to own ... good times.

So I get back home and the wife and I climb into the Civic. Holly Crap! It feels so small now. It feels like the sun visor is right in my face (the marquis has two sun visors BTW). And the hood like end right there. And the seat is so fscking small. Man it felt weird!

It's like when you go roller skating and when you walk out you feel like you're feet want to skate.

Any big car fans here?

PS My wife found $18 worth of cigars under the front seat.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    Big cars rock.

Our family has an old Jeep grand cherokee and a brand spanking new Honda Element.

Both very big.

Guess I'd have to say the Grand Marquis would seem really well, small.

I'd say either really big cars, like what my family has, or really small cars, like the Civic or the Mini Cooper would be the best because you can either haul everthing, or not, and not even think about it. If I had like a wagon or a big passenger car, I would probably try to stuff all sorts of stuff into it and not be succesful, and that would be frustrating.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    I love the Grand Marquis/Crown Vic, but with the way they designed the dashboard/underneath the dashboard, they might as well have included a full center console (or do they with the new ones?) with some knee support because for me it impossible to stretch out from left to right because of the stupid A/C control bump on the bottom side. The Avalon with the bench seat didn't have this; it was perfect, just like my Tahoe is now (which I just found out is getting 11 mpg in town ; been a while since I have had to drive like I've had to in the past few weeks).

But yeah, love the big cars/SUVs. It looks like some mid-size SUVs and cars alike are starting to make inroads in terms of space, though, and still with decent economy (even though big CARS are still really economical).
  • Reply 3 of 32
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    What? Cherokee and Element are "very big".

That Cadillac I had was a '75 not a '70 . It was fscking huge. 19.5 feet with a 8.2L engine.

Mine was blue edit Better pic'

• Reply 4 of 32
    [edit]New pic' comment not needed[/edit]
  • Reply 5 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by fred_lj

I love the Grand Marquis/Crown Vic, but with the way they designed the dashboard/underneath the dashboard, they might as well have included a full center console (or do they with the new ones?)

I think they may have. The Marquis site has a QTVR of the insides if you want to look.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    I suspect that this is what you really want, scotty-boy.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Trust me I know the feeling! My mother drives a Toyota Avalon and it is not a small car however when I drive it it seems like a tiny car.

Fellowship
  • Reply 8 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

I suspect that this is what you really want, scotty-boy.

Want? No. I got over big car days with the Caddy. 8MPG? Who needs that? Maybe Fellowship does

No I'll take the 33 from my Honda.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Roomy cars are nice in their own way, except most turn like beached whales. But it's not worth all the trips to the gas station. My little Civic only needs gas once every 1 1/2 - 2 weeks. How do people make it in these other guzzlers? Bigger tanks save the trip to the pump for, what, a day?
  • Reply 10 of 32
    Oh yea filling the tank was fun. Fueleconomy.gov has it at 25MPG highway. Not that bad. Fellowship is getting about 17MPG. My father in law own a marquis but when he drives to work he picks up like 4 other people. So the big car can do 125 Person MPG and the honda 152 Person MPG. Honda still wins.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    casecomcasecom Posts: 314member
    My high school wheels in the mid-'80s was a 1976 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser station wagon ... a.k.a. the "Party Wagon"

Maroon with faux wood along the sides.

Ah, good times. Wish I had a pic
  • Reply 12 of 32
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    I'm a fan of smaal compact cars. One of me colleagues is a fan of big cars. I just think it's typical that the guy is something like 175 cm. \

[Flame]

Big cars=Small guys

[/Flame]
  • Reply 13 of 32
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    All those cars are freakin' huge! How do you keep them on the road, let alone park them!?

It's only in the US of A that cars are so big. FCiB, a Toyota Avalon is considered a big car in Australia (probably a "9" on a 1-10 scale).

Barto
  • Reply 14 of 32
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    This is the new Citroën C2. Big enough for me

• Reply 15 of 32
    I liked the Smart Car when I was in Amsterdam. These days I want a scooter so ... that's small
  • Reply 16 of 32
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I went and test drove the Accord Coupe yesterday, it was very nice...but then on my way toward my car I went over and looked at the 4 door and started wondering if it would be more practical to get THAT instead. Is the 2-door that much "sexier" than the 4-door? C'mon, we're talking practicality over ego here.....
  • Reply 17 of 32
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Don't get the sedan, unless you're a family guy and/or tote people around very often. It's the worst design aesthetic I've ever seen --- can you get a load of that backend? Gross! Yeah, go with the coupe, if even it's a Mercedes-Benz knockoff !
  • Reply 18 of 32
    My has an idea that we should buy a 2 seater car so we don't have to give rides to anyone. Maybe that's why she wants the mini!
  • Reply 19 of 32
    _ alliance __ alliance _ Posts: 2,070member
    i hate big cars. in this part of the country, apparently you arent a real man unless you drive something bigger than a tahoe. i've said it before, and i'll say it again: i hate this place...

p.s. i see more of those POS H2s these days than i do civics. how pathetic is that...?
  • Reply 20 of 32
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Smart of Mercedes is enough big for me. If you'll ever see one around it'll be me ...