iTunes: to convert library to AAC or not?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Here's the question: do you guys think it's worth it to convert my entire iTunes libary to AAC to save space, or would it just be an idle effort, with more than enough space left on my HDD to do what I need to?

I keep weighing the advantages/disadvantages, from being able to "share" with others easily, burning MP3 CDs (which I honestly really don't do that much with my truck's CD player being a regular one), or saving space -- having the same audio quality with a 128k AAC file that's quite a bit less bulky on average than the quality-equivalent MP3.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    Not worth it. Your time is much more valuable.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    how much do you have to re-encode?

i'm planning on getting a 15GB iPod. previously, my collection was at about 12GB 192k mp3. not's it's under 8GB at 128k AAC.

the iPod will now last me much longer before it gets filled up. as well as leaving me more room for hauling files around.

i did all me re-encoding in the background while working on other things. so really only a negligible amount of "wasted" time.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    but:

don't re-encode from mp3 to aac! you really loss quality.

you should encode from your originals......
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by k_munic

but:

don't re-encode from mp3 to aac! you really loss quality.

you should encode from your originals......

yeah, i shoulda mentioned that
  • Reply 5 of 12
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    I'm encoding "new" CDs (i.e. not yet encoded at all) into 160k AAC, my previous default was 160k MP3. This produces the slightly larger file sizes (I think) with better fidelity. I have only re-encoded, from the CDs, one Nine Inch Nails and one Pink Floyd.

Part of the reasoning for this is because I already can't fit my entire collection on my 10GB iPod; I have a couple of playlists that transfer what I want.

So to sum up with stats:

-total CDs: 318*

-complete CDs encoded into MP3: ~140

-complete CDs encoded into AAC: 13

-iTunes: 2170 songs, 11.14 GB

*I don't intend to encode every single CD. Slayer and Crue's "Dr. Feelgood"? I don't think. I've... grown up a bit...

Screed
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

*I don't intend to encode every single CD. Slayer and Crue's "Dr. Feelgood"? I don't think. I've... grown up a bit...

Screed

no... you MUST encode the Slayer!

(Slayer is one of my guilty music pleasures...)
  • Reply 7 of 12
    piwozniakpiwozniak Posts: 815member
    Hi,

i just went through all that and it was worth it.

before i used to encode at 192kbps min VBR, and 160kbps aac sound way better.

Set up your iTunes to import songs on CD insert and eject when done.

:-)
  • Reply 8 of 12
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

This produces the slightly larger file sizes (I think) with better fidelity. I have only re-encoded, from the CDs, one Nine Inch Nails and one Pink Floyd.

They shouldn't be anymore than negligably larger (ei a KB here, a KB there). 160Kbps = 20KBps = 1200KBpm = 1.17MBpm = around 4.7MB for a four minute song encoded in any format at 160Kbps.

Barto
  • Reply 9 of 12
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Yeah, that's what I've been doing: VBR with min set at 160kbps, since I'm not an extreme audiophile/don't play stuff that loud to notice distortion anyway.

'Sounds like this might be a worthwhile project, then...and if my brother (the one who usually wants an MP3 CD off my library since his Pismo's HDD is almost gone, heh) wants an MP3 CD, I'll just make a temporary playlist and convert those to MP3, burn em, and then delete them.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    i will go through this trouble when they allow VBR AAC rips...
  • Reply 11 of 12
    piwozniakpiwozniak Posts: 815member
    Paul,

I have 10GB iPod (with about 1,2GB left), so in my case going from 192KBPS VBR to 160kbps, was worth it.

But difference between aac and mp3 is huge, i don't know if it's some kind of an illusion, but it sound way better (and i'm using a good pair of headphones), sounds more 'dynamic'

hm
  • Reply 12 of 12
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

They shouldn't be anymore than negligably larger (ei a KB here, a KB there). 160Kbps = 20KBps = 1200KBpm = 1.17MBpm = around 4.7MB for a four minute song encoded in any format at 160Kbps.

Barto

My analysis was only from a couple of files and I didn't remember to check whether the song had a album cover image embedded. (Oops. )

These metadata files disturb this former DOS 3.3 man.

That's the other iTunes project: CD cover images for 2000+ files.

Do I love iTunes that much??

Screed