Am I the only person who wants an even smaller iBook?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'd like to see something like Sony's Picturebook (1280x600 9" widescreen) or SRX (10.4" standard screen)

but without the camera, without the memory stick, and without the craptacular design, etc....

TING5

[ 05-10-2002: Message edited by: There is no g5 ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    I would buy one.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I don't think you'll see an Apple 'laptop' without an opitcal drive built in.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>I don't think you'll see an Apple 'laptop' without an opitcal drive built in.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Its actually a shame. I would love to have an ice without optical drive, but with a 20 GB 1.8inch HD and whatever battery tech they use in the iPod. It won´t be cheaper than the iBook but it would as thin or even thinner than the Ti. I´ll bet it would easy for Apple to make optical drive access though a stationary a no-brainer with something like Rendevouz and Airport, Firewire or Ethernet. Something like whenever you are in range of your stationary Mac the optical drive mount on the `Book like it was part of it.

But despite the fact it would be my next portable I really don´t think it would sell that well. And it would mean completly overlap between all portables from iPod to Ti:

iPod

NewtonII

ThinBook

Ice

Ti
  • Reply 4 of 8
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    I don't like squinting so therefore I would not buy anything smaller than a 12" iBook.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    I would absolutely LOVE a smaller iBook!
  • Reply 6 of 8
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Escher - this is your cue.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    This thread is redundant, check here:

<a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001640"; target="_blank">http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001640</a>;

And no, you're not the only person who wants a sub. Me, I want it all So...

I say, bring back the Duo! Duo G4s! Your choice of optical drives in the Dock! Because we all know how much Steve Jobs likes Docks!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Wow that top sony laptop is PEFECT! It's exactly what I want; a laptop that is only the size of a standard keyboard.

I would use it for not only for email, word processing, and music, but primarily for making presentations. For such use what would I need? Not a laptop designed as a workhorse computer, but a laptop that is as portable as possible, and that is powerful enough to give powerpoint presentations on an LCD projector.

If Apple made such a laptop I bet it would sell very well. Here are the specs I'd want (high performance, but emphasis on SMALL):

800 MHz G4 on a 133 MHz bus

512 MB DDR RAM

Radeon mobility with 32 MB vRAM (for driving external displays, and for Quartz Extreme, after all this laptop should give bitchin' presentations).

40 GB HD (5400 rpm)

Full gamut of ports, including S-video out, composite A/V out (like iBook), vga out, USB, Firewire2, modem, ethernet, line in/mic in.

Display: same dpi as 12" iBook display, but it is sized so that the laptop is no larger than the keyboard demands it to be.

Mouse control: No mouse pad, since the laptop cannot be larger than the keyboard. Apple can think of something cool and functional!

Magnesium/Plastic case like the iBook's for high durability. This laptop should be durable enough to be thrown into a backpack or suitcase and take a beating. It can be a bit thicker than the iBook so that it is more durable.

Dimensions: 12.7" wide, 1.5" thick, and ~5.2" deep.

Such a laptop would totally rock, and it should be competitively priced, since the display would theoretically be quite cheap because of its size. Apple would be surprised at how well such a laptop would sell, and it is the perfect "handheld" computer.