birth order

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've heard (although not given THAT much credibility to) the notion that a person's birth order plays a role in who you are. Given the preponderence of what I would describe as "Type A personalities" at AI , I was curious where everyone falls.

For example, I am the third of four, although a very spread out four.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    i don't qualify as standard classifications (so i think i choose this time as normally the "other, please specify"-alternative) ... my sister is 18 years older than me (and i have never seen even a picture of her father) and i think i saw my (half) bro' in 1999 the last time ... \
  • Reply 2 of 23
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I'm the co-youngest child with my (twin) sister. Never talked too much because my sister did most of that for me growing up.

Paul brings up a good point: I'm the only boy.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    middle, first born male...

my sister is 4 years older then me and my brother is 3 years younger...
  • Reply 4 of 23
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Oh, yea! I'm number 1!

I'm #1, I'm #1, I'm #1, I'm #1, I'm #1
  • Reply 5 of 23
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    My brother is 4 years older.

The only thing i can say, is that parents give in general a strict education to their first child, and tend to be more cool, for the ones coming later. In some way they give up
  • Reply 6 of 23
    nebulousnebulous Posts: 193member
    I'm the youngest of two children, with my sister being 10 years older than me. I have to say that this has had an impact on my life growing up. There has always been a lingering feeling that I have to live up to the standards she set. We do get along very well, though, so there's no sibling rivalry over this.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

The only thing i can say, is that parents give in general a strict education to their first child, and tend to be more cool, for the ones coming later. In some way they give up

As my father and my sister have been only "mistakes" those rules don't apply. my dad and mom were the first childs, the others of their broters and sisters have more sense of humor ...
  • Reply 8 of 23
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

As my father and my sister have been only "mistakes" those rules don't apply. my dad and mom were the first childs, the others of their broters and sisters have more sense of humor ...

So you recieve the education of a "first" child, something not very funny and rigid if i have understanded you correctly.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Oldest of four children.

Nick
  • Reply 10 of 23
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Birth order matters a lot. And before anyone jumps down my throat there are always exceptions. Oldest, middle, baby all follow classic patterns. For example the middle kid is said to be more independent of the family, more out going, more friends, more activities away from the house. That's my sister. I think more US Presidnets/CEO/ect/ are oldests. Onlys have their own thing going on.

I'm the baby

My wife has a book on all this. It even tells who the best marriages are between. My wife and I are a good combo' only + baby.

Giaguara you are considered an only due to the age difference between you and your sister.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    I am the bastardly middle child of three. And god damn it all if my sibs arent treated with more treats etc than I.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    First of three, only male.

Then again, there are more 1st born children than 2nd born children...

What is a "type A" personality?
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Second of four, the first three of us born within 3.5 years, and the last one was five years later. That was my sister Pamela, she past-on in 1998 from diabetes.

The three of us were so close to the same age that we all pretty much went through the same treatment from our parents.

But, being a mac person makes me the smartest one, and I am the best looking too!
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

So you recieve the education of a "first" child, something not very funny and rigid if i have understanded you correctly.

yes. 2 mistakes so i'm the first, kind of ... if the attempts to rescue a marriage count as children. overprotective, authoritarian parents that still manage to suck all the energy out of me in 2 minutes when ever they call me...

(understanded? it's "understood" )
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Birth order matters a lot. And before anyone jumps down my throat there are always exceptions. Oldest, middle, baby all follow classic patterns. For example the middle kid is said to be more independent of the family, more out going, more friends, more activities away from the house. That's my sister. I think more US Presidnets/CEO/ect/ are oldests. Onlys have their own thing going on.

I'm the baby

My wife has a book on all this. It even tells who the best marriages are between. My wife and I are a good combo' only + baby.

Giaguara you are considered an only due to the age difference between you and your sister.

Whatever i am considered, i am the most introvert of them all, and escaped away as soon as i could...
  • Reply 16 of 23
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

First of three, only male.

Then again, there are more 1st born children than 2nd born children...

What is a "type A" personality?

do you cross your arms when talking to people, or when thinking?

its the type that may or may not be stressed out of their gourd at all times... i always thought i was a type a... but have been able to lose those characteristics over time...
  • Reply 17 of 23
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    3rd of four. i'm introverted though, less outgoing than any of my siblings. second boy, with 2 sisters (born in alternating order, bgbg).
  • Reply 18 of 23
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I'm the baby

Scott, I'm really interested in that book. If you wouldn't mind finding out the title I'd appreciate it.

I'm the middle and what you said fits me exactly.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    number one son, less the half-siblings
  • Reply 20 of 23
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Scott my family was just talking about a book like that over the weekend and I too would appreciate a title. I'm the youngest of six and the next youngest is seven years older than me. By the birth order book I'm supposed to have the attributes of the youngest and of an only child, or so my sister tells me.