970 appearance: Educated guesses

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    I suspect that the case will largely be made out of aluminum, in order to aid cooling and to help set the style. It's possible that it may involve different materials in different locations (such as a lucite/plastic front).

The handles will still probably be there, since that's one of the selling points. However, if Apple does try to accomodate the people who want to stack the systems - or those who just want a lower profile - I suspect that they'll try to implement retractable handles.

I've had this idea for awhile, and I think it could work: let's say you have some thin metal handles that, when not extended, are flush with the case. Should you need them, you can pull them out and up at an angle until they 'click' into place (you may need to use a button to make this happen). I would probably also add a small rubber grip around the middle of the handles to aid with grip. I don't think we'd need to have any handles on the bottom this time around.

You know, I think that Apple will probably have to make the PPC 970 their next PowerMac update, because I quite simply can't see them keeping the El Capitan design while overclocking G4s to still higher speeds (and the accompanying absurd heat levels). The MDD variant is already fairly crowded in the front and has a huge grill in the back... short of using watercooling or getting a brand new G4 processor design (which doesn't look too likely), what else can they do while maintaining consistency with people's expectations?
  • Reply 22 of 80
    snowysnowy Posts: 8member
    Someone wrote an article articulating, rather intelligently, the story with the 970 and Quark in relation to Apple's bottom line. Though they are careful not to say that IBM is making the 970 specifically for Apple. C'est la vie ... can't have everything.

LoopRumors had the link to this BusinessWeek article ...
  • Reply 23 of 80
    Quote:

green glowing buttons as always

Huh? They stopped using green buttons once they upped the machines to a 133MHz bus IE 533 667 733 machines, My G4 has a blue button
  • Reply 24 of 80
    johnsonwaxjohnsonwax Posts: 462member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mount_my_floppy

Huh? They stopped using green buttons once they upped the machines to a 133MHz bus IE 533 667 733 machines, My G4 has a blue button

As would be expected: higher frequency bus generates higher frequency light. The 166Mhz bus machines are kinda nice as they emit UV, which while you can't see, will give you a nice light tan over time. The 970s will be fun because the buttons will emit microwaves which can keep your coffee warm if you use a non-conducting cup and leave it close to your machine.
  • Reply 25 of 80
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnsonwax

The 970s will be fun because the buttons will emit microwaves which can keep your coffee warm if you use a non-conducting cup and leave it close to your machine.

• Reply 26 of 80
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by snowy

Someone wrote an article articulating, rather intelligently, the story with the 970 and Quark in relation to Apple's bottom line. Though they are careful not to say that IBM is making the 970 specifically for Apple. C'est la vie ... can't have everything.

LoopRumors had the link to this BusinessWeek article ...

They changed the article. First it stated that IBM officials (not who though) had confirmed that Apple was going to use the 970. The changed later to say that the chip was not made specifically for Apple, but that it could be used in a mac. I think maybe someone received a somewhat unpleasant call from someone at One Infinite Loop
  • Reply 27 of 80
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Ooooooooooooooo, oooooooooooooo, this is good!

Or else, it's not, and it's a case of frivolous media mongering, as when the rumors became so solid among news agencies that Apple was acquiring Universal Music.

But heck, we've got a 50/50!
  • Reply 28 of 80
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Who would have thought back in the 80s that one day someone at IBM would get "Steved"?
  • Reply 29 of 80
    nevynnevyn Posts: 360member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

Who would have thought back in the 80s that one day someone at IBM would get "Steved"?

Steve of course.
  • Reply 30 of 80
    visigothevisigothe Posts: 81member
    Ok, check it...

This is a rumour, but I am posting this here, as it's the most obvious location [and I hate starting new superfluous threads].

It comes down to this:

I know someone who knows a guy doing the product brochures for Apple. I got word that said he's making new product [HW] brochures to be available at the WWDC. He stated, "Don't buy a mac for the next 3 months"

This doesn't mean that a new product will be available at the WWDC, but it does mean the glossy pictures will be. I suspect that Apple may have a few units to show, but I can't say about real "in customer's hands" availability, as I just don't know.

This information isn't anything un-suspected, nor new and exciting, just more fuel for the fire. I like to share.
  • Reply 31 of 80
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    cool. thanks for the recon.
  • Reply 32 of 80
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Cool! Try pumping him for more info. Sometimes it helps to get the person a bit drunk to loosen things up. Give's 'em a bad case of verbal diarreah.
  • Reply 33 of 80
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Any Mac? From any of the lines?? (iMac, eMac, iBook, PowerBook, PowerMac -- well, we heavily suspected that last one).

Screed
  • Reply 34 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

Any Mac? From any of the lines?? (iMac, eMac, iBook, PowerBook, PowerMac -- well, we heavily suspected that last one).

Screed

I can only state what I know. That was the quote. Logic tells me that he meant desktop, but that would be speculation on rumor... a silly proposition at best.

And because of the "6 degrees" nature of the information, I doubt I'll be able to get additional tid bits from this fellow. ...of course, if I do, I'll post =)
  • Reply 35 of 80
    Sony introduced the new PSX today, which is essentially Playstation 2.5. The look is quite striking, and MUCH better than the PS2. In fact, the first thing I thought when I saw these pics is that the new 970 enclosures may look very much like the PSX, just a bit larger. Personally, I love this sleek modern look, silver and white. It even has a slot-loading drive! If Apple releases a new box that looks even remotely as good as this, I'll snap one up immediately, regardless of price.

Here's the pics:

Article here:

http://money.cnn.com/2003/05/28/comm...ming/index.htm

-----------------

RosettaStoned
  • Reply 36 of 80
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by visigothe

I know someone who knows a guy...

Dare I say CONFIRMED?!

Seriously, thanks for the info. (And thanks even more for not starting a new thread.) It does sound reasonable and I hope it's true.
  • Reply 37 of 80
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    I wonder. Considering just how much of the 'G4' Mac based product was upgraded 'all at once' at the beginning of the year...

Come late June-July will be about due for an update to the Tower AND Pro laptop lines! Maybe the (EXPENSIVE, UNDERSPECCED) iMac2 as well?

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 38 of 80
    junkmeinjunkmein Posts: 10member
    Rosettastone wrote:

"Personally, I love this sleek modern look, silver and white. It even has a slot-loading drive! If Apple releases a new box that looks even remotely as good as this, I'll snap one up immediately, regardless of price."

Hmm, they did release a box like this already, it was called...The Cube.

(a joke folks).

Junkmein

8)
  • Reply 39 of 80
    Hey all.

I got some additional information. The WWDC is the 23rd. I have now received information that Apple Store employees are to attend a mandatory meeting on the 22nd.

This coupled with my previous information, tied to the PB64 information sounds rather interesting.

Anyone else notice that we don't have new 15" laptops yet?
  • Reply 40 of 80
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Gosh, what I would do to be employed at one of those retail stores right about now...this is probably one of the most exciting times at Apple!

Visigothe, dude, if this stuff even turns up remotely accurate, then you're up for some good things (well, at least good words)!