An odd google.com observation...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've noticed how google.com always decorates or alters their logo a bit on certain holidays or special occasions (Thanksgiving, St. Patty's Day, during the Olympics, etc.). I've seen it a thousand times, and I'm sure all you have as well.

Just noticed, during my fourth or so visit there today that there isn't something Memorial Day-oriented there.

Do you think that's just an attempt to not appear U.S.-centric to any foreign searchers? Seems about par for the course these days, considering.

Just curious, because I've seen them alter their logo/masthead for some pretty silly-ass events/occasions over the years.

Compared to some, today seems pretty legit. But I guess that might have a jingoistic tinge to it, huh?

"We'll have none of that flag-waving nonsense HERE, my good man!"

Actually, that's not that funny...

Sigh.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Maybe they couldn't think of an appropriate emblem. What would they show, headstones at Alexandria?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    A flag at half mast? A wreath? A veteran saluting? The famous silhouette of the Iwo Jima flag-raising? A jet fighter? A flag? A soldier playing "Taps"?

[EDIT: removed snide, baiting comments because, upon further consideration, they were inappropriate and unnecessary...my apologies! - Paul]

• Reply 3 of 11
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    On a vaguely related note... for anyone who misses the occasional holiday themed images that they have, an archive for them is located here:

http://www.google.com/holidaylogos.html
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I think most of their little images tend to be in a kind of playful cartoonish vein that doesn't translate that well to Memorial Day.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    That may be true, CoD. I read that interview with the guy who comes up with the alterations for them.

But, they do have an MLK one. That's hardly "barrelful of yuks" subject matter. Pretty somber and serious, I'd say.

No big deal. I just noticed it because I always like to see what they do on holidays and other special events. I like the little themed alterations and look forward to them. Just stuck out that today there were none.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 7 of 11
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Yea. Right. Especially st Patrick's day is sooooo US-centric.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I think that google's policy is this:

If torifile doesn't get the day off, then we don't decorate.

Stoopid Dook Med Center. I had to work today...
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

Yea. Right. Especially st Patrick's day is sooooo US-centric.

I think you misunderstood. I never said St. Patty's was or wasn't "U.S.-centric". I just said they acknowledge it.

indeed...

\
  • Reply 10 of 11
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

That may be true, CoD. I read that interview with the guy who comes up with the alterations for them.

But, they do have an MLK one. That's hardly "barrelful of yuks" subject matter. Pretty somber and serious, I'd say.

I know a lot of people that laugh at that day.

(Just KIDDING!)
  • Reply 11 of 11
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I don't think they can use the US-centric argument because I'm quite certain they've done stuff for Thanksgiving and 4th of July before if I remember right. I think the real answer is: it's politically incorrect for a portal like Google to show support for what is essentially a holiday for the US Armed Forces -- or at least commemorating what they have accomplished / sacrificed over the years.

Basically, Google is comprised of a bunch of [spineless pansies]. Feel better Paul?