Single-Sex classes.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Here's a good AI topic. Single-"Gender" Classes. It's been done in private schools for a while. Now pubic schools are experimenting with it.

Teachers: Kids focus in single-gender classes

I think this is a good thing to look into. It just might help out a lot of students in that hormone explosion time of their life. But, you know, can separate equal? Maybe it's unequal but the outcome for both is better?

We have single sex colleges right now. Come to think of it is there a male only college left in the US? They seem to have all been beaten down. Plenty of women only colleges.

Wuadda all think?

Oh PS I hate it when "Gender" is used where "Sex" should be. "Sex" is male/female. "Gender" is something for words

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    BS

i have always hated single-sex classes. i don't agree with about 100 % of girls, and the classes that were single-sex in any material, i did the worst. seriously, i was freaking out especially when forced to dance wiht other females in the physical education dance classes. touching other girls was more disgusting than would have been dancing with a 400 lb pizza-face male nerd. i'm not joking.

what next? discovering maybe that the single-sex student houses work better? the only house i have lived in wiht 5 other people and that had no argues, was when i lived with 5 guys.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    i refer to the supreme court descision in the progressive 1950s

cant be equal not now not ever. cant be better either. there is insight gained in differences. if we separate sex because the opposite sex is distracting or what have you (preferential treatment etc) then we should separate on religion, on skin tone on a whole host of other distracting characteristics (or bias inducing)...

harvard was all male until a few years ago...(when radcliff officially disappeared)... there were a few true hold outs until the 1980s, like haverford...
  • Reply 3 of 20
    enaena Posts: 667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

It just might help out a lot of students in that hormone explosion time of their life.

It's not a hormone explosion, it is a disorder. I just read somewhere that the tribulations of the early teens is somewhat akin to the ADD that is notable in the younger age groups. There is new groundbreaking research coming out of Berkley that absolutely proves the problems of the early teen years are caused NOT by hormone imbalances and finding oneself but to SDD/SIDD, or Sexual Deficit Disorder, or better know as Sexual Intercourse Deficit Disorder.

The solution seems to be a rigorous regime of Valium, Xanex, and Seconal in concert with an integrated study hall/study time sessions with the faculty in repose in the teachers lounge. The results are truly staggering with the only drawback being an unwed pregnancy rate that is approaching that of U.S. Navy troopships.

Sadly, after extensive treatment patients seem unable to cope with the rigors of monogamy and tend to change sexual partners faster than the cast of Friends.

At least we now know that the antiquated methods of self-control and decorum have failed and are now free to explore the subject in a truly enlightened fashion. Scientist feel confidant that, using their emotions as lanterns in the darkness of religious ignorance and prejudice, we will be able to relate the two sexes in ways that mankind has yet to witness.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Here's a good AI topic. Single-"Gender" Classes. It's been done in private schools for a while. Now pubic schools are experimenting with it.

Teachers: Kids focus in single-gender classes

I think this is a good thing to look into. It just might help out a lot of students in that hormone explosion time of their life. But, you know, can separate equal? Maybe it's unequal but the outcome for both is better?

Single gender class, will not help really in your hormone explosion time. Do you know someone more excited than a man seeing a female after some months of privations.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    next, single race classes, results show that they work...

and then there is separation by social class... oh wait, we still have that one...
  • Reply 6 of 20
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    An interesting topic indeed Scott.

In Oz we've seen the pendulum swing from single sex classes in the 50's & 60's to mixed in the 70's 80's & 90's.

Now there is a strong push to segregate the sexes,

mainly because boys education has fallen woefully behind that of girls..

Women now make up 80% or more of teacher numbers as well as over 75% of all university entrants.

This bodes poorly for boys who in many other areas of social intergration, usually get the second hand deal.

Feminists & the PC lobby groups can shout all they like, but the explosion in our youth suicide (which is mostly male)..shows how boys are feeling deeply troubled and lost.

1 in every 3 Australian boys doesn't have a father figure at home, a figure i am sure is on par with that of the USA.

The ongoing erosion in Male teachers numbers & as " Role models " is deeply despairing & damaging.

This is almost beyond repair in Primary schools ( lower ) and almost as terrible in most high schools..regardless of public or private ..

There are two reasons why males no longer want to become teachers.

Firstly it is poorly paid, considering the years of study involved..

Secondly and more telling,

there is the implication & inuendo that if you are a male teacher you are a potential pedophile..

It has got to the point that male teachers are advised to never touch a child..even if that child is crying & simply wants a hug !

So I can understand the inbalance in male / female teacher ratios occuring across the Western world.

Trouble is, with the Feminist agenda & the media riding on the back of every Pedophile story, they are actually scaring away the very best male teachers available.

This is the price our society is paying thanks to such a terible witch hunt. Tragedy is, that is it all at the expense of boy's education...

Ps : I am an ex-teacher / lecturer & former educational psychologist, so I think I know what I am talking about..
  • Reply 7 of 20
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I went to, was forced to go to a boys only secondary school (junior high and high school, I guess), and I'm still PISSED OFF about it. The one thing i will never forgive of my parents. That kind of thing creates emotionally and sexually stunted/retarded people. For many, life is postponed till after 18. Oh man, if I think about it,

The one upside, when I was in my fourth year there, they allowed girls (due to the law, or a supreme court ruling, or whatever), up unto the THIRD YEAR ( ), but I did get to be closely acquainted to some of these young girls.

In any case, if anybody here is thinking of doing this to their children, please THINK AGAIN.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    I feel for you buddy.

Trouble is times have changed.

Kids are much more media & rights savvy.

The whole "what do we mean by education " question is up for grabs.

Most people think they have a handle until they start to define the concept of learning..it is not as easy at it seems.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    You didn't read the article der Kopf. This is not single sex school but single sex classes and not even all of them.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Having attended an all male high school, here's my observations: students did seem to focus in class a lot more because they weren't staring at the hot girl in the corner. On the other hand, I found that the people who went to the all girls school were the bitchiest and most obnoxious girls I'd ever met.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by agent302

Having attended an all male high school, here's my observations: students did seem to focus in class a lot more because they weren't staring at the hot girl in the corner. On the other hand, I found that the people who went to the all girls school were the bitchiest and most obnoxious girls I'd ever met.

Did you attend a regular high school, too? Yeah, there are hot girls, yeah some are worthy of being stared at, but really if you recorded a class most of the time the students are probably looking at the teacher (if they are decent) than at eachother. This whole single sex thing is another way to avoid getting at the issues of the education system here.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I think I may have to home school my children. I'll still send them to public school, but just to bust teacher's balls.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by agent302

that might be because too many girls are too nasty in most cases. if i'd have been in a single-sex school, i'd have ran away or if in a prison-like one, i'd have committed a suicide. i can't stand most of the females.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

Feminists & the PC lobby groups can shout all they like, but the explosion in our youth suicide (which is mostly male)..shows how boys are feeling deeply troubled and lost.

1 in every 3 Australian boys doesn't have a father figure at home, a figure i am sure is on par with that of the USA.

if i would have been in a single-sex school & classes (note: in female school or classes) i would have been a number in the wrong category (succeeded youth suicides, females).
  • Reply 15 of 20
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    To clarify: Sex is a biological term. Gender is a technical term. This definition of sex is only appropriate in circumstances that deal directly with biology (hence, "secondary sex characteristics").

The word gender, when it's applied to humans (not words or speaker cables) means "sexual identity," which means it's more subjective. I don't want to get into it, but it's proper to use gender in this article.

That being said, I think this is the latest gimmick trying to prop up our collapsing public schools here in the US. I don't think it'll work any more than school uniforms have.

I completely agree with Aquafire, fear of pedophilia and homosexuality have had a terrible effect on the number of male teachers/role models.

But even deeper than that, I think there's just a fundamental problem with the way schools are run here in the 'states. Too much grade inflation, too much whining parents, too much fear and hostility between the teachers and the students.

Oh, and learning cursive. Why the **** did they take two years from my life, when I was young, fresh, and intellectually ravenous, and teach me CURSIVE? Why God, why? I'm still working through some issues with that one
  • Reply 16 of 20
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I don't know exactly why there is less and less boys suceeding in school or university. I will said that boys are responsible of their failures.

When a whole group tend to become in trouble, the society his responsible, but this collective responsibility do not eliminate the individual responsibalitie of the individue who failed.

In some urban aeras of France, boys tend to dwell around the buildings in lazyness, while girls tend to work. The result is that the girl will have a good level of studies and the boy will do nothing in his life. Here the failure is not due to the fact that there is more women teaching (it was already the case for me, and it never prevented me to work), but because the father is not doing is job : the autority if the father exist.

I don't think that the school system can replace a family. The more families will be dismantibulate, the more kids will suffer. School is not perfect and have problems (too differents level of kids in the same class) but the first educational problems come from the family itself.

More than single sex classes, i will suggest to make class or homogeneous level in the major fields (math, science, litterature). Mixed class, leads nowhere. The better students are only an emulation for students who are just slighty under them. When a student does not understand anything of the subject in a class, he get bored. A bored student react in two ways : total introspection with acute depression (high suicidal risk there) or franck opposition and disturbing behavior, wich are a nighmare for teachers.

The education is belonging both to the parents and the school. Having a better education needs an improvement in both aeras.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I think that going to a single sex school can be beneficial to certain types, especially males. Unfortunately, we live in a world where it's not "OK" to be masculine. So it order to pull it off you have to be very confident.

That's the kind of character you get from going to an all boys high scool with a mandatory athletics program. And frankly, it's an alpha complex that converts into social success in the real world, regardless of any social conventions that you may have heard about. For girls, promoting athletic participation on girls teams brings them some knowledge of teamwork and fair play, that, as far as I can tell, are initially alien to the female psyche.

Hate me for it, but I can't stand seeing the feminization of this country in particular. And the estrogen-brigadiered public school system, I argue, has a lot to blame for it. But single-sex classrooms are not the answer. Single sex social areas and a greater focus on athletics are. In my experience, excercises in forced teamwork seem at least as important to a child's education as are the humanities.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    I've had single gender classes in high school (by default since no girl dares sign up for computer classes) and can't really say single gender is better. In fact, in my experience, girls tend to stop boys from doing obnoxious things during the class (eg when a hot girl walks into the AP computer science class to ask the teacher something, everyone shuts up).

Gimme dual gendered classes any day (though considering my engineering major, it seems such a privledge seems to be flying away).
  • Reply 19 of 20
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Boys and girls are afraid of each other. It's a sexual issue. Break down the fears and walls in this area and things will improve. If we keep things stifled, expect the kids' learning to be stifled as well.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Segregating the sexes will not work.

Its forcing them to releave their interests via other possibly more extreme avenues. Like making drugs illegal, there is a further interest and more use because it is banned.

Teen boys and teen girls need to be comined so that they interweave properly. We should not be putting so much pressure on the differences between sexes:

Boys - football

Girls- dolls

BS, thats old-time crap. Sex is a huge problem lets not worsen it by putting Suzy in sissy class and Manny in macho class.

Studies have shown that getting two people of different gender or race (just a difference of any sort) to work together helps them to work with a broader spectrum of people more effectively.

Don't separate the sexes!