Access to SPSS troubles

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I´m trying to move an Access file to SPSS but with no luck. It either locks up the cmputer totally or only move some of the variables. Variables with the values false/true is some of the missing ones.

It is the first time I am trying to do this so I may be doing something wrong. Moving it to Excel first don´t help.

Anyone with experience in this area? Its on windows PCs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    how big are the files you are working with?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I don´t have it at the moment. But it has @1000 cases with @200 variables.

Its SPSS 10.

The Access file contains variables coded as dates, true/false, numeric and probably other formats. The best luck (the only time SPSS doesn´t go into eternal busy mode) I have had was a simple copy/paste but it doesn´t keep the format of the variables and that makes cells in variables with true/false values empty.

I really hoped there was a simple import feature in SPSS or export in Access making this easier.

Conversion programmes perhaps?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders the White

I don´t have it at the moment. But it has @1000 cases with @200 variables.

Its SPSS 10.

The Access file contains variables coded as dates, true/false, numeric and probably other formats. The best luck (the only time SPSS doesn´t go into eternal busy mode) I have had was a simple copy/paste but it doesn´t keep the format of the variables and that makes cells in variables with true/false values empty.

I really hoped there was a simple import feature in SPSS or export in Access making this easier.

Conversion programmes perhaps?

I don't work with Access much, but I have a GREAT deal of experience dealing with much larger text files in SPSS. Is there an export to csv or tab delimited from Access? If so, you're in luck because it would be completely doable to get that into SPSS.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

I don't work with Access much, but I have a GREAT deal of experience dealing with much larger text files in SPSS. Is there an export to csv or tab delimited from Access? If so, you're in luck because it would be completely doable to get that into SPSS.

THANK YOU. Tab delimited did the trick.

Next question: I need to find someones age at a certain time. I have the birth date and the date on which I need to know the age. I have tried to substract the two in so many ways. The closest I got was the age in seconds. How do I get the date? Yes I could divide the seconds with 365*24*60*60 but there must be more elegant way.