Anyone try jogging with new iPods?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I love my 5 gig iPod (which thankfully does not freeze) while jogging.

However, I can't help but notice how light and thin this new iPod is (although I still don't like the buttons).

I can imagine how sweet this would be during a long run. My current iPod feels a tad "weighted" in my jacket pocket and I don't like holding it in my hand.

Is this new series of iPods prone to the freezing issue that previous 10 and 20 giggers had?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    alpha macalpha mac Posts: 463member
    I have had no problem with my new 15 giger.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    loganlogan Posts: 284member
    I have the old 10 gigger and have never had a freezing issue.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    david rdavid r Posts: 135member
    I also have the 5G iPod like you. I run while holding it in my hand and I have never had a single problem. Go for it and enjoy the jog.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    I successfully managed to freeze my 30GB but it seems to have only been a one off.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I'm thinking of getting one for the gym myself. I tried running, hated it, how do you freaks do it? Mebbe I'll try to bike it, dunno if that's better or worse for the old knees?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    discodisco Posts: 83member
    I just started using a new 15GB during training for both marathons and triathlons. It works great for biking, but gets a little annoying on runs over 6-7 miles or so. It doesn't skip or anything, it just starts feeling heavy, even though it's much lighter than its predecessor. I also own a Nike PSA [] play 128MB MP3 player. It weighs a few ounces and I could easily carry it all 26 miles if I wanted. Solid state has it's place for some things I suppose.

The new iPod is close, but it's still a tad heavy for serious running I'm afraid. I also use a Timex GPS system , which includes a GPS receiver that straps onto one's arm. I don't know how much it weighs, but I think that's the limit for how heavy a device would need to be to be used for long distance running.

The botom line: if you're running for less than an hour, an iPod (especially the new models) should work just fine. If you're running longer distances, it's time to go solid state I'm afraid.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by disco

I just started using a new 15GB during training for both marathons and triathlons. It works great for biking, but gets a little annoying on runs over 6-7 miles or so. It doesn't skip or anything, it just starts feeling heavy, even though it's much lighter than its predecessor. I also own a Nike PSA [] play 128MB MP3 player. It weighs a few ounces and I could easily carry it all 26 miles if I wanted. Solid state has it's place for some things I suppose.

The new iPod is close, but it's still a tad heavy for serious running I'm afraid. I also use a Timex GPS system , which includes a GPS receiver that straps onto one's arm. I don't know how much it weighs, but I think that's the limit for how heavy a device would need to be to be used for long distance running.

The botom line: if you're running for less than an hour, an iPod (especially the new models) should work just fine. If you're running longer distances, it's time to go solid state I'm afraid.

Thanks Disco. I don't always need music for my runs, but sometimes it helps if I'm not running with a group. (I'm hoping to get into the NYC Marathon by lottery this year.)

But, I think you're probably right. I was leaning that route by getting a Nike PSA for the workouts and leaving the iPod a my general carry about MP3 player.

How do you find the Nike player? Does it work well with iTunes? Is this the new Philips Nike branded one? I've read some pretty bad things about Nike's first generation player but haven't heard much about it's latest offering.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

I'm thinking of getting one for the gym myself. I tried running, hated it, how do you freaks do it? Mebbe I'll try to bike it, dunno if that's better or worse for the old knees?

Start off slow with short distances and before you know it, you'll be doing marathons. It's pretty addictive especially if you join a running group where you meet some pretty interesting people.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Thanks Disco. I don't always need music for my runs, but sometimes it helps if I'm not running with a group. (I'm hoping to get into the NYC Marathon by lottery this year.)

I don't run with a group, so the music is a welcome companion. I usually only use headphone on long runs or rides. I'd never use them during a race. I know many runners frown upon the use of headphones, but on a 18 miler, it can be a life-saver for me. I run and bike on a designeted path that runs for 14 miles uninterrupted, so I don't worry so much about the safety issues surrounding running with headphones.

Quote:

But, I think you're probably right. I was leaning that route by getting a Nike PSA for the workouts and leaving the iPod a my general carry about MP3 player.

How do you find the Nike player? Does it work well with iTunes? Is this the new Philips Nike branded one? I've read some pretty bad things about Nike's first generation player but haven't heard much about it's latest offering.

Actually, I'm still using the old-school Nike PSA. It serves my needs, and it works seamlessly with iTunes. The only problem I'm running into now is that I want to encode all of my music in AAC, but the player only supports MP3 playback. Fortunately, the music I tend to listen to while running (around 140bpm for pacing) is a small portion of my music library. So I just rip the albumn in both formats.

Good to seee that there are some runners on the boards here. Also, what you said is true. Start off with finishing one mile. Next thing you know you're running 5-milers as a short run. 2 years ago I would have never imagined that I would be running 18 miles at a time, and loving it.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

man i hate running...between me being not in the best shape and asthma its horrible. I can normally keep up with people if i run with them just because i make myself, but i feel like i'm goign to die when i'm done...no not like other people who are SOOOoo tired and 'are going to die' i might go to an unhealthy rate

biking is better on the knees...though worse for ur mangina unless u get one of those weird looking bike seats

i normally just go lift and hope that keeps me healthy enough (i look fine anyways) but i've restarted rollar blading again
  • Reply 11 of 13
    nguyenhm16nguyenhm16 Posts: 203member
    I've run about 12 miles at a time w/ my original 5gb. No problems unles it's cold (battery life goes to hell, especially since I skip tracks a lot).

Haven't tried w/ my new 30gb, since netalog.com hasn't released their neoprene case for it yet. Can already tell I will have problems in the winter when I wear gloves because of the touch sensitive (non-mechanical) buttons.

FWIW, I carried it in my hand all the time, and also wrapped excess headphone cord around my hand.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    What someone really needs to develop is one device that does the following:

-MP3 player (preferable hard-drive based)

-FM tuner

-GPS receiver

-Heart rate monitor

-Performance data recorder

I can't imagine anything more that an athlete would need. This would allow someone to monitor their speed, distance, pace and heart rate, while at the same time providing entertainment.

Timex has just developed something close, sans the MP3 player. It's called the Timex BodyLink. Rather than being a single device, it's an LBN (Local Body Network) of intercommunicating pieces.

I see why they made it a system: it makes it modular and allows users to add only the components they need, and also leverage products they already own.

However, I think a truly integrated system could be insanely great. Imagine getting detailed audible notifications when you're off-pace, or your heart rate falls out of your desired zone. The GPS talks to the Heart Rate Monitor and the MP3 audio engine. It could be very cool indeed.

But it will never happen. As innovative as Timex is, they don't make very user-friendly products. And this would be a product even too niche-y for Apple. That's why I wished the iPod had well-documented API's. You could add on some mighty powerful hardware that would make the iPod much greater than the sum of its parts.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by disco

What someone really needs to develop is one device that does the following:

But it will never happen. As innovative as Timex is, they don't make very user-friendly products. And this would be a product even too niche-y for Apple.

I'm not sure I'd want that many components in one product. Sounds like it would be pretty confusing to operate.

However, the Timex Bodylink looks interesting.

As you said, Apple would never venture into this very niche market..but I could see Nike doing it. Although I must admit Nike is more about looking cool than functionality.