WiFi access in Tokyo

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'll be travelling to Japan next month and as part of my planning I'm trying to figure out how to keep up with work from back home. Heck, it's more fun planning this than figuring out what, if any, shots I need!

Anyhow, how easy is it to find public WiFi access points in Tokyo (and Kyoto for that matter)? As a landmark, I'll be near the Canadian embassy.

I read that there was a trial run in McDonald's and some donut chain last year. Are these up an running? Does NTT have a system? How easy is it to pay with a foriegn credit card? Not speaking a work of Japanese, will I be able to make out the login screen?

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!
blocker1

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    Just chill out, enjoy Japan, and don't use a computer?

I was in Tokyo in Feb and took out the iBook and used it for ~ 1 hour in 3 days.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by klinux

Just chill out, enjoy Japan, and don't use a computer?

I was in Tokyo in Feb and took out the iBook and used it for ~ 1 hour in 3 days.

Chilling I will be, but unfortunately there is a bit of work to do (don't worry, it won't dominate!). But any idea about WiFi access?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    Sorry - did not use the iBook enough to tell you...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    eldioseldios Posts: 55member
    I used to live in Japan but unfortunately don't recall seeing too many places with wi-fi access (although I wasn't really looking too hard). However, internet cafes are common so you can use those if you wish. If you are gonna be in Japan for a long period of time, you might want to consider picking up a Air-H card (wireless internet modem card). They are pretty cheap and can be used with a mac. All the major electronic stores and cell phone stores carry them.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    yr best bets in tokyo are:

fast food chain of Mos Burger

some Starbucks

you will find it still sketchy coverage, though.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by niji

yr best bets in tokyo are:

fast food chain of Mos Burger

some Starbucks

you will find it still sketchy coverage, though.

Thanks a lot!