What are your must have iPod accessories?

cogcog
Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
While drooling over the new PB's, and having all of my questions answered by you nice folks out there (I am definitely getting the 17 PB), my beautiful wife surprised the begeezus out me with a new 15 mb iPod.

Thrilled doesn't even begin to describe my perspective about this well thought-out, elegant solution. However, I must now begin the investment in the proper "accessories" to maximize the iPods value.

With that, what are the best cases, headphones and reciever interfaces (play through your car or home stereo) that you "old" iPod users have found. As the wealth of information streams beneath my fingers, I must tap the well for the best information...or I will not sleep properly.

Thanks in advance for your great input!

cog

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    I like the mareware iPod case (it's one of the only cases that you can buy that would fit the new iPod). At the Apple store, though, they have a ballistic nylon case that looks like it kicks ass. I'd get that. $20
  • Reply 2 of 20
    cogcog Posts: 40member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bioflavonoid

I like the mareware iPod case (it's one of the only cases that you can buy that would fit the new iPod). At the Apple store, though, they have a ballistic nylon case that looks like it kicks ass. I'd get that. $20

Cool. Thanks Bioflavonoid...I'll check it out. I have plenty of ballistic nylon luggage and briefcase so it would go well.

cog
  • Reply 3 of 20
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    I'll probably but the belkin fm transmitter when i buy mine.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    fm transmitters SUCK!!!

you have to futz with batterys... yuk... and it sounds like crap unless you keep it stationary, and even then it can crap out on occasion... you are better off with a line adapter or using a cassette adapter... no batteries and the quality doesn't depend on your area's FM band concentration...

a car power adapter is also key for long trips

i'd also get a clear case to combat fingerprints... it is very useful and makes reselling the iPod infinitely easier and add's 10%-20% to its value over a scratched and smudged iPod... the only problem is that there hasn't been any cases designed for the new ones so you don't have to take it off to use the dock....\
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

I'll probably but the belkin fm transmitter when i buy mine.

Hey Keyboard:

Have you heard about any problems with the FM transmitters? I have not done any indepth research...

Thanks for the direction. I will certainly look into the Belkin.

cog
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

fm transmitters SUCK!!!

Ha Ha Ha...that answers my question about the FM transmitters! Thanks Paul. The clear case is a great idea..I am too enamored with the machine to have noticed the smudging but now that you say that, it does look pretty ugly.

How about a screen cover? Have you scratched yours? I was thinking something like a static film, eg. Palmpilot covers. Anyway, thanks for the words of wisdom.

cog
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Brasso Metal Polish Wads - gets all scratches off iPod (or so I've heard) including screen. http://www.ipodlounge.com/tips_more.php?id=124_0_11_0_C
  • Reply 8 of 20
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    The only thing I would suggest is a car adapter so you can power it off the cigarette lighter. Prior to my purchasing that (which I'll probably do this summer), I don't actually have a single iPod accessory, after a year of usage.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cog

Ha Ha Ha...that answers my question about the FM transmitters! Thanks Paul. The clear case is a great idea..I am too enamored with the machine to have noticed the smudging but now that you say that, it does look pretty ugly.

How about a screen cover? Have you scratched yours? I was thinking something like a static film, eg. Palmpilot covers. Anyway, thanks for the words of wisdom.

cog

http://podpac.bizhosting.com/

made by jccbin

works great on the old ones... dunno about the new ones
  • Reply 10 of 20
    augustwestaugustwest Posts: 157member
    If you have a significant other, I would suggest the following:

1. car power adapter and cassette adapter (guarantees unlimited usage of your music library on long trips. you can have playlists with each other's favorites, and take turns using one another's playlists--i.e., one hour of Jack's Grateful Dead, and one hour of Jill's Best of Madonna. Hey, it's not a perfect solution, but if you can't work out your musical differences, how will you ever plan a life together!)

2. Headphone y-splitter - allows for two people with headphones to listen to the ipod. (prevents looks of jealous rage from your significant other while on long plane/train/bus trips, or when relaxing in the park or at the beach.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

First of all, ditch the earbuds and get the white Sony MDR EX-71 SL earbuds.....

Tonton:

WOW. Great post. Thank you for the guidance. I will check out everything you listed. Are the Sony's that much better than the stock Apple earbuds? The cost is not an issue I just thought the stock buds sounded pretty good.

I have been eyeing the Griffin and the iSleeve as well. You've confirmed my wants! Thank you for sharing your insight.

Cog
  • Reply 12 of 20
    mqamqa Posts: 11member
    I second tonton's earphone advice. not only do they sound much better, but they are alot more comfotable as well.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:

First of all, ditch the earbuds and get the white Sony MDR EX-71 SL earbuds.

Tonton...

thank you for the advice on the Sony MDR headphones! I can't believe how poor the sound from the factory iPod set is compared to the Sony! Great guidance...now I really can't put the 15iPOd down!

Cog
  • Reply 14 of 20
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    hi.

nope. i have yet to try one but at $30 bucks or so i was going to try the belkin first.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Minidisco has a great selection of headphones, including lots of different versions/prices of the Sony ear buds,

http://www.minidisco.com/mics-headph...eadphones.html
  • Reply 16 of 20
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Ditto what tonton said, but I use the Groove Jacket.

• Reply 17 of 20
    mac writemac write Posts: 289member
    Quote:

First of all, ditch the earbuds and get the white Sony MDR EX-71 SL earbuds.

The SL (short cord) version and the white color are only available imported.

You can get them here for $46.

I have the Sony MDR-E818LP ear buds that came with my Sony DNE510 ATRAC3 Discman I got for my birthday 2 weeks ago. So how do the Sony MDR-E818LP ear buds compare to the Sony MDR-EX71 LP and also the Sony MDR EX51 LP ear buds? I was considering the MDREX51LP's until you suggested the MDREX71LP's
  • Reply 18 of 20
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    these looks nice....

can get it here

i will probably get this, plus either the iTrip or a cassette adapter, a car charger and the sony earbuds....

but i probably can go a while with just the iPod and what came with it (case, remote, cradle)

g
  • Reply 19 of 20
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    These look pretty snazzy too!

http://www.everythingipod.com/sugges...tarq=YES&max=1

I just pre-ordered mine!