Will Panther Obsolete DAVE?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have recently downloaded a trial of DAVE, and I have to say, the two things I noticed right away was not having to log into every damn share, and the fact that my entire company network finally shows up in the "Connect to server..." browser--previously I could still get to everything, but it wouldn't show all the computers on different subnets meaning I had to remember the names of all the computers that I connect (some of those I don't connect to often, so it's a PITA having to look them up).

Now I'm considering buying DAVE for those two reasons, but IMHO this type of functionality should be "out of the box" working in OS X, especially since the only way to infiltrate non-Mac-friendly workplaces is to show how easily they can integrate into the network.

Now on to my question: What does anyone think the liklihood that Panther will update the whole "Connect to server..." and add those features that should have been there all along? I just hate the idea of paying $150 for DAVE and then in 2-4 months paying for Panther (NOTE: I am totally willing to pay for Panther, so don't turn this into a "we should get all OS updates for life for free" threads). I just hate to *waste* $150 on DAVE if I won't need it in a couple of months; after all, there are other things I could do with that money.

Any thoughts, speculations, musings?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    My take on it is that it's your call whether DAVE making your life easier - and, perhaps, making the Mac more attractive as an option to your employer - for a few months at least is worth $150.

I find that the old "if you need it, buy it" attitude saves a great deal of hair-pulling and head-against-wall-banging, but YMMV. At least, if you buy DAVE, you'll know that you can do all that now, and indefinitely, regardless of what comes out in Panther or in subsequent releases of OS X.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    fuzz_ballfuzz_ball Posts: 390member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

I find that the old "if you need it, buy it" attitude saves a great deal of hair-pulling and head-against-wall-banging, but YMMV. At least, if you buy DAVE, you'll know that you can do all that now, and indefinitely, regardless of what comes out in Panther or in subsequent releases of OS X.

Very good point...I'm just cheap; it's in my nature
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Update: Well I sure hope Panther has better windows-network connectivity, because since installing DAVE I've been pulling more hair than ever before; ARRRRRRGH!!!

The damn thing has ruined my normal connectivity via VPN and now whatever it has done to my system, can't seem to be undone. I've run the "uninstaller" and still, none of my apps that previously connected via VPN will work!!!

damnit, damnit, damnit!

Yeah, I'm pissed...
  • Reply 4 of 16
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I admire the 3rd world english title. "Will Panther obsolete DAVE?" how 'bout "will panther make Dave obsolete"?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I admire the 3rd world english title. "Will Panther obsolete DAVE?" how 'bout "will panther make Dave obsolete"?

Ooooh, an English teacher. I'm so glad you responded to my post, your comment was inciteful and helpful. You must of been one of the whiners screaming "It should be 'Differently' not 'Different'!"

If you were trying to be funny, then you failed; if not, then go piss up a rope
  • Reply 6 of 16
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    I hardly think you should complain, if you write in such an odd way should shoud expect to be corrected.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

I hardly think you should complain, if you write in such an odd way should shoud expect to be corrected.

If I spent my time complaining about the wording of titles/content for various posts on AI, I could turn it into a full-time job...why don't you find something constructive to do, like go piss on Placebo's shoes.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    pharaohxpharaohx Posts: 1member
    Quote:

True, the Post title is a bit unusual, but someone who spells "shoud" instead of "should", should probably not throw stones or, at least, invest in a spellchecker.

We get the gist of Fuzzball's post so let's get back on topic. I'm very interested in knowing everyone's thoughts on DAVE running on OSX and the implications of Panther's arrival.

Let's discuss, shall we?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

You're a dumbass.

fuzz, are you running at least 4.0? Earlier versions, while they will install on OS X.2, will not run properly, screwing everything up. 4.0 was the 10.2 fix.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    What's up with all of this bashing? Anyways, back to topic... When I have tried Dave, and then decided to uninstall, it did weird stuff to the networking.... I sure hope for one that Apple gets their act together on the networking. Also, they need to make it so when you are browsing a windows share, it does not add .DS_Store files to each directory. I know it is "hidden" but it still gets very annoying to have to clean them up, 'cuz I have hidden files turned off.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    serrano,

Yeah, I downloaded the latest (was it 4.0.3???, I'd have to double-check). It was working great from the office, but when I wasn't at the office (and unable to "connect" to my office network) all connectivity functions ceased to work. I couldn't SMB to anything, plus applications which had worked via VPN for me prior to installing DAVE would no longer function via VPN.

So I gave up on DAVE and unistalled it. Imagine my horror when I discovered I still couldn't SMB to anything and my apps-via-vpn still did not work. Only after a re-install of the OS did I get all my functionality back. Of course, I haven't re-installed DAVE, and at this point I don't plan to...bummer, because when I was at the office it really worked great

fuzz_ball
  • Reply 12 of 16
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    If DAVE immediately discovers all company network hosts, and smbfs doesn't, it could be WINS. Do you have DHCP enabled? If so, DAVE probably receives an entry for the WINS server. The WINS server keeps a database of all SMB hosts, and thus, your Mac immediately receives that list.

If your company does have such a WINS server (which it should), you can set it up for smbfs as well: launch Directory Access, unlock, choose SMB, choose Configure..., and enter your workgroup and WINS server in there.

Oh, and... CALM IT, people.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Chucker,

Thanks for the response, but I'm a little confused...WINS is only relevent when I'm on the network that I've configured DAVE for, right?

If so, I'm not having problems at the office, it's when I'm at home (there is a problem using DAVE via VPN over an Airport network, Thursby has a suggestion, but it won't work for me since their suggestion is dependant on having a static IP from my ISP, which I don't),

I want to be able to mount a simple SMB share via my VPN when at home, like I could pre-DAVE. Unfortunately, it seems that if DAVE can't "connect" to my work network (which is what I configured it for) it won't let me SMB anything. This causes major problems since I obviously can't access anything at my work, nor do some of my apps work that I normally use over my VPN when at home. Sorry if I misunderstood your suggestion.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    I have WINs set-up on my work Macs. IMO, the solution still leaves alot to be desired and I hope Apple improves here.

Incase anyone doesn't lnpw, WINS can ve set thru 'Directory Access' in utilities. Just double click on SMB and enter the info.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fuzz_ball

and the fact that my entire company network finally shows up in the "Connect to server..." browser--previously I could still get to everything, but it wouldn't show all the computers on different subnets meaning I had to remember the names of all the computers that I connect (some of those I don't connect to often, so it's a PITA having to look them up).

I was referring to this, fuzz_ball. The reason DAVE immediately discovered those hosts (rather than you having to look them up manually) is most likely a working WINS client, whereas OS X's WINS client isn't configured properly per default. In your DAVE settings, you can look up whether or not you're using a WINS server, and if so, you can try and uninstall DAVE and update your OS X's WINS client configuration in the way I outlined in my earlier post.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Ahhhh, now I see where you're going Chucker...I'll give that a try, thanks!